Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Brights?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: Brights?
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »
Kak idea and extremely inconsiderate

And the 'visibility' argument is moot. You are not visible if you blind the other road users.
I've seen a couple of times when these brights on guys come from behind (especially if you add these super bright LED lights to the bike) - it ends up hurting you to look at it and you a) don't know how far he is, b) actively don't look in your mirror and c) you can't see indicators or basically anything else

Orange cover or a way to 'break' the normal look of the bike (like having spots that isn't so bright but that turns the one light front of the bike into a triangle that looks different from how a normal car light does) is all that really works

I replaced my GSA's standard spots with 10w 4x4direct versions after the one broke
I angled them down up to where they didn't blind me while in front of the bike.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 02:54:30 pm »

And the 'visibility' argument is moot. You are not visible if you blind the other road users.
I've seen a couple of times when these brights on guys come from behind (especially if you add these super bright LED lights to the bike) - it ends up hurting you to look at it and you a) don't know how far he is, b) actively don't look in your mirror and c) you can't see indicators or basically anything else

Orange cover or a way to 'break' the normal look of the bike (like having spots that isn't so bright but that turns the one light front of the bike into a triangle that looks different from how a normal car light does) is all that really works

I replaced my GSA's standard spots with 10w 4x4direct versions after the one broke

I agree with the guys running those super bright LED lights.  Crazy.  Then some of them have spots of the same intensity.

Saw a guy once driving with them on after dusk; he probably forgot they were still on bright but still... orange is much more effective
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 02:58:02 pm »
I get passed by plenty cars from behind, I commute slow and try to conserve fuel which is why I can see possible value in hazards on. Anyway, I don't do it so I don't know why I'm defending it.

You are braver than most.. communing in the dark at a speed where you get overtaken.. in your case i would probably recommend you put your hazzards on  :sip:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Meteor

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 04:23:14 pm »

Many people get programmed on the road. For instance to overtake cars- when oncoming traffic is far away the light will appear as a single light, when they are too close the light will split in two. They do not think about it because repetition made it part of their brain.

For this same reason I think having more than one light is very important if you want people to effectively judge your speed or distance.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:25:08 pm by Meteor »

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 04:31:40 pm »
@Meteor , there's science to back that up but the name escapes me now, same as catching a ball, your brain receives incoming signals from both eyes at slightly delayed times to distinguish how far an object is away from you and if it's moving, this effect is multiplied as more objects move towards you, your multiple light arrangement makes sense.

The following users thanked this post: Meteor

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
I'm surprised to read that some new bikes don't have hazards. Knowing how 'compulsory' everything else is these days I thought that hazards were bound to be included.

That said, I don't think i can recall a single occasion  when I have ever used them on a bike. As for lights in general, I bloody well resent having to use them in daylight for the benefit of blind car drivers. The fact that cars are not bound by the same legislation as motorcyclists is unfair discrimination.  :protest:

I don't have any additional lights, I don't wear a reflective vest and I mostly wear dark gear. Because I'm bloody minded hardegat old school and fuck 'em all. And if that means that they're gonna kill me, they'd better hurry up, because I've been dodging the bastards for 58 years now and they haven't got me yet.  :peepwall:

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 08:21:31 am »
I'm surprised to read that some new bikes don't have hazards. Knowing how 'compulsory' everything else is these days I thought that hazards were bound to be included.

That said, I don't think i can recall a single occasion  when I have ever used them on a bike. As for lights in general, I bloody well resent having to use them in daylight for the benefit of blind car drivers. The fact that cars are not bound by the same legislation as motorcyclists is unfair discrimination.  :protest:

I don't have any additional lights, I don't wear a reflective vest and I mostly wear dark gear. Because I'm bloody minded hardegat old school and fuck 'em all. And if that means that they're gonna kill me, they'd better hurry up, because I've been dodging the bastards for 58 years now and they haven't got me yet.  :peepwall:

Check the law on Hazards. To be used when vehicle is stationary only.
Where are my shorts??

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 09:05:33 am »
I was driving the other day and I see nothing but brights behind me.. it was so bright that it was blinding

A guy comes past me on a bike, I thought it was a massive truck with his lights on bright. The guy was wearing black shoes, black pants, black leather jacket, black backpack but he is riding with his lights on bright to be visible.. 2 robots later he was nearly taken out by a car who clearly he had blinded and they lost any kind of depth perception. THe oke on the bike was waving his arms around like a complete toss.. I was left thinking that his waving arms actually made him more visible than his brights.  :deal:

And he had his hazzards on.. now with tears in my eyes.. if a car is coming towards to with their lights on bright, can you see their hazzards?  :laughing4: :imaposer: Hazzards once the bike has passed is a bit like trying to eat a sweet with the wrapper on, stupid.

Had the same with a guy on a GS coming up behind me on the Krugersdorp highway one night.  His lights were so blinding I could not judge his speed or distance at all.  Could not even make out if it was a car or a bike. So I passed the car on my left and was just about to go over to the left lane to let this welding machine past, when he lane split past me on my left at very high speed.  It was split seconds or I would have taken him out. I get sommer de moer in all over again when thinking about this.
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 09:08:16 am »
So you guys recon orange cover on dim is sufficient visibility?  Slow moving traffic and highway speeds?
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 09:19:58 am »
So you guys recon orange cover on dim is sufficient visibility?  Slow moving traffic and highway speeds?

Personally I put the orange on the bright.  Then there are two types of lights shining.

Brights dim enough in my opinion with the orange cover.  I don't have LED lights though.
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 09:26:35 am »
Speaking of hazards, I miss the individual indicator buttons on my old 1200GS, pressing them at the same time flashed my hazards to say thank you.
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 09:31:08 am »
I must admit, I use that a lot.
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 09:53:28 am »
I must admit, I use that a lot.

Why.. please explain your thinking as I have done mine.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2019, 09:55:47 am »
To say thank you when a car move over, I use it only to show gratitude,  don't ride with it on, except when we were on the way to the EC Bash and there was heavy mist and we were driving real slow
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2019, 01:18:09 pm »
ahh  :thumleft:

Offline 8 min Mark

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2019, 01:25:24 pm »
Thatís very funny. I do not use brights. I think an orange cover over the dim is more visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes no difference to me what you ride, as long as you ride!

Offline Dish

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »
I had a guy coming towards me on a white 800gs a few days back. well this thing looked like a UFO. it was a while before sundown and the bike was lit up like a cricket spotlight. NOT cool. Visible is one thing but this was just over the top. That said this specific bike has a few other additions that are a tad different.
Has anyone seen the addition of Flashing LED Lightbars lately - a few bikes running around in fourways with flashing lightbars.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2019, 01:59:13 pm »
I had a guy coming towards me on a white 800gs a few days back. well this thing looked like a UFO. it was a while before sundown and the bike was lit up like a cricket spotlight. NOT cool. Visible is one thing but this was just over the top. That said this specific bike has a few other additions that are a tad different.
Has anyone seen the addition of Flashing LED Lightbars lately - a few bikes running around in fourways with flashing lightbars.

I have'nt seen flashing lightbars but there was a guy near me who had flashing spots  :o  A lightbar must be hectic

Offline captain jack

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2019, 01:59:48 pm »
As someone who commutes in the dark and rain in Cape Town, sometimes by car (when picking up stuff at office) or on bike the rest of the time.

Orange cover on low beam -  :thumleft: works like a charm. And I know from when I am in the cage
Additional spots - works as changes light profile to something different from a car. but please dont make them too bright as it actually make you less noticeable. :thumleft:
Brights only - Absolutely pointless and very irritating :patch:
Flashing Hazards - don't really see the point, it really doesn't make you more visible, except from behind :patch:
Normal headlight only - almost impossible to identify a bike lane splitting, until he is almost on top of you :patch:

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2019, 02:08:16 pm »
As someone who commutes in the dark and rain in Cape Town, sometimes by car (when picking up stuff at office) or on bike the rest of the time.

Orange cover on low beam -  :thumleft: works like a charm. And I know from when I am in the cage
Additional spots - works as changes light profile to something different from a car. but please dont make them too bright as it actually make you less noticeable. :thumleft:
Brights only - Absolutely pointless and very irritating :patch:
Flashing Hazards - don't really see the point, it really doesn't make you more visible, except from behind :patch:
Normal headlight only - almost impossible to identify a bike lane splitting, until he is almost on top of you :patch:

I also alternated for a long time between the bike and car.

As for the hazards, they get lost in the sea of lights if you look in your rear view mirror. Only thing you notice is the orange light cover
Spots that are too bright are more a distracting blinding light than adding extra visibility
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one