Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Old School XRV750 Africa Twin Corner  (Read 132688 times)

Offline milansosic88

• Bike: BMW (all models)
Re: The Old School XRV750 Africa Twin Corner
« Reply #2280 on: June 20, 2020, 06:04:12 pm »
Hi guys have been trying for over an hour but I cannot post anything to the forums not sure why. I'm trying on this thread to see if my posts are going through. I'm selling my 1995 twin if anyone is interested.
give me a shout for more info or pics 084 6263663

Offline Daffyd

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2281 on: September 21, 2020, 09:21:49 am »
Anyone upgraded the headlights on their old lady? Either LED bulbs or new headlights completely? Is it worth the expense?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Daffyd

« Reply #2282 on: October 22, 2020, 05:22:22 pm »
Hi All if you could help, on my 97 AT when I throttle off to decelerate to a stop im getting alot of  backfire/poping noise. Once every now and again sounds good but a few every time I slow down is abit much. Any ideas? She was recently stripped to have frame redone. TiA

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #2283 on: October 22, 2020, 06:17:34 pm »
Check for an exhaust leak at the headers and joints.  I use a piece of hose to the ear to listen for the leakage.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Daffyd

« Reply #2284 on: October 27, 2020, 11:52:33 am »
does anyone have an idiots guide on removing the choke from the carbs?

Offline Quagga

• Honda AT 750 XRV, Yamaha XT 600E
Re: The Africa Twin Corner
« Reply #2285 on: November 17, 2020, 05:10:38 pm »
Now it's time for my twin's fuel pump conversion. I've searched around for one in the southern cape area but nobody could get hold of the specific one mentioned in the post. It must be the 40105 one right? Other numbers would not work?
Please advise.... Regsrds

Raptrap, The pump has always been a problem and unfortunately still is. You should get at least 40k km on a pump, but no guarantees here.

If it fail on you in the middle of nowhere, a drop test saved my some frustration. Take it out and hit it against the frame of the bike. Happen twice to me on the normal fuel pump and in both cases it was "hit" back into life again :)

It doesnt slot right in. The Facet is square and very tricky to get into the round rubber, but it can be done.
I kept my old pump in the casing as a spare. I took 3mm rubber sheet and covered the facet in a U-shape. It fits nicely into the current bracket. It is kept in place by a cable tie. I did change the outlet union size to be able to fit into my current fuel pipes, since i did not want to change pipes or shorten it.

The reason for doing this, is that it is easier to exchange back to the original with all the rubbers in place and basically no tools required.

I will take a pic and post it here.

This is what the pump looks like. You can get them form most motor part dealers.

A link to the ruggedroads website:
http://www.ruggedroads.co.uk/shop/article_40105/Facet-Fuel-Pump.html?shop_param=cid%3D61%26aid%3D40105%26

A discussion on after market fuel pumps: xrv.org
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30429

The step by step installation using the existing rubber mount, also courtesy of xrv.org:
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=94881

Take note that the model number of the facet pump is stamped on to the two mounting elbows.

Speedo issues and pricing
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=36166.0;topicseen
V6 Colt 4wd and Africa Twin - Best of both worlds!

Offline GRyPH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Some things can't be done cautiously!
« Reply #2286 on: November 17, 2020, 09:10:54 pm »

https://www.buycarparts.co.za/facet-low-pressure-fuel-pump

this is the one I used way back when I had to replace my 750s fuel pump.    Got it from Midas in George and just I asked for a facet fuel pump.  did not even ask for the spesific part nr.

as for your question if you can use a other pump....     ill let the guys that know more about this than me answer,   but    in my head it makes sense that it should work?   if it can work on the voltage supplied by the bike,  and it can pump the fuel it should mos work?  ;D     

btw, i see the one I showed above is available on that site for under R800. This is about what I paid for mine more than 10 years ago as well.   I have never used that site so I cant comment on how legit they are.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:18:58 pm by GRyPH »
Focus on the journey, not the destination.

Offline Daffyd

« Reply #2287 on: November 23, 2020, 09:38:25 am »
So my lady is finally done and Im ready to head out for trips, I would like to pack a little spares/tool bag incase the "fit hits the Shan" what spares are recommended? what do you gents have in your kits bags?  Kind regards 

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #2288 on: November 23, 2020, 09:50:49 am »
Cash is always the best tool  ;D Apart from that, usual tools to get wheels off etc.
Spares, a few nuts and bolts, 6mm & 8mm. Some auto wire, spade lugs, tubes and repair kit. I have had issues with starter solenoid and ignition switch, but to be expected on a high mileage bike. If you are rough then levers and gear lever. As long as you have tightened everything properly nothing should fall off.
Happy travels, it's a Honda, nothing should break.

8)
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline GRyPH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Some things can't be done cautiously!
« Reply #2289 on: November 23, 2020, 03:13:15 pm »
So my lady is finally done and Im ready to head out for trips, I would like to pack a little spares/tool bag incase the "fit hits the Shan" what spares are recommended? what do you gents have in your kits bags?  Kind regards

Flying brick sells a nice toolkit made by desert fox and its made brand specific so it will have all the tools you need for your bike. 

last time I checked it really wasn't that expensive (if you take into account what you get and what those tools would cost you if you have to buy it separately)

If however you already have most/all of the tools, and just need to put them together, this will also give you a good indication of what to throw in the bag. (and then it would obviously work out a lot cheaper as well)

https://flyingbrick.co.za/product/desert-fox-toolkit-overland-pro/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:17:34 pm by GRyPH »
Focus on the journey, not the destination.