Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fly & Ride to Cape Town- Help Needed  (Read 583 times)

Offline MaineDrummer

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
Fly & Ride to Cape Town- Help Needed
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:43:39 pm »
Hi,
I'm looking to fly from the US to Cape Town, and purchase a used bike.  8) 8)
I'll then ride the bike in SA for a while, and store it there for a few months while I return to the US.
Upon my return to SA I'll either keep the bike there and tour the entirety of Africa with short duration trips over the next several years, OR progressively move the bike towards Europe (storing it in various countries as I go, and eventually store it in Europe for trips throughout the coming years.
Besides what listed in the helpful "Travelling in Africa Documents, papers and Carne de passage" thread...

What immediate issues (licensing, insurance, etc.) do I need to address to ride the bike just in the Cape Town region?

Where should I store it when I return to the US?

As time passes, what licensing and insurance-type issues will I face riding into other African countries, also including Canet de Passage, etc.?
Will I find secure storage facilities at reasonable costs in other African countries as I make my way towards Europe?

Thank you for your thoughts!  :thumleft:

I know this is potentially a huge topic with hundreds of unasked and yet unanswered questions, but I hope you can help with these initial few.

Al
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:09:04 pm by MaineDrummer »

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Fly & Ride to Cape Town- Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 05:17:22 pm »
Hi

In answer to ONE of your questions, this very week, a member on here (Mike Adendorf) has just launched a bike storage facility at around $20 per month, and has the ability to offer battery charging, etc.

@Mike Adendorff

Cheers, Chris

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline MaineDrummer

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:24:14 pm »
Fantastic, that's very helpful to know!  :thumleft:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:23:54 pm »
Pleasure. I have an accessory shop in Paarden Eiland (shameless punt) but for you, more importantly, there are a couple of BIKE shops in the area;

(Helderberg Yamaha, Scott Motors and Bloomsbury Car & Bike, and KTM Cape Town) and all 4 have some 2nd-hand adventure bikes - of course you may wish to buy a bike from an individual,too.

Sometimes paperwork is easier from a Dealer, but YMMV.

Cheers
Chris

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:24:34 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

The following users thanked this post: MaineDrummer

Offline MaineDrummer

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:57:32 pm »
Thanks Chris!
Can anyone help me understand the immediate issues (licensing, insurance, etc.) if I were to buy a used bike from a private party (to avoid a dealer's mark-up $$$) in the greater Cape Town region?
Though, perhaps from a "paperwork processing" standpoint maybe it would be beneficial to "pass" the transaction through a dealership and pay for the value of this service?
Can I do all of this without being a resident or citizen of SA?
While I intend to do as much off-load riding as possible, I'm sure there'll be more than enough on-road riding that I'll definitely need the license and insurance.

Is there anyone on this forum who's an insurance agent who can also help with this type of request?

'Looking forward to riding in SA!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:02:43 pm by MaineDrummer »

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:46 pm »
Thanks Chris!
Can anyone help me understand the immediate issues (licensing, insurance, etc.) if I were to buy a used bike from a private party (to avoid a dealer's mark-up $$$) in the greater Cape Town region?
Though, perhaps from a "paperwork processing" standpoint maybe it would be beneficial to "pass" the transaction through a dealership and pay for the value of this service?
Can I do all of this without being a resident or citizen of SA?
While I intend to do as much off-load riding as possible, I'm sure there'll be more than enough on-road riding that I'll definitely need the license and insurance.

Is there anyone on this forum who's an insurance agent who can also help with this type of request?

'Looking forward to riding in SA!  :biggrin:

It seems you can own/buy a car as a foreigner based on the following - https://www.autotrader.co.za/answers/2177242/non-south-african-citizen-car-registration

You might get a better deal private but if you don't live here permanently and have to get it through roadworthy tests in addition to getting yourself onto the registration system you are likely better off to pay a bit extra and work through a competent dealer/agent. Even if you do off road riding more, those roads are still part of the rules and regulations of the rest of the country. The chances of being stopped is just so much less if almost zero. Keep in mind if you have an accident and you want valid insurance then things need to be in place.

I am no expert at these things but know you will have carnet issues as you move along, from memory these are issued for 'x' period of time per country or trip although you might find much more useful info on http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ as these are the experts in world travel with lots of experience on all matters.

If your intention is to buy a cheap bike and travel/store basis without the bike being licensed or all the paperwork/red tape you won't get far into Africa and more likely end up in a place where you don't want to be  :thumleft: You are better off to save money, go to a country ride it from top to bottom with a rental and everything in place and move onto the next country when finances permits. The alternative to this is get a bike and big lump of savings and ride the world with hopefully a few odd jobs along the way and good people along the way putting you up where they can.

Enjoy your trip and visit  8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:08:50 pm »
Remember for the Carnet you will have to eventually return the bike back to where you bought it from. If you dont they will come and find you
Where are my shorts??

Offline geopat

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:10 pm »
Do you perhaps know someone here that can help you? When my buddy toured SA I bought the bike and licensed in my name so it was all legal when he rode it (not sure what the situation would be in other countries but I reckon a signed affidavit would be ok) saves a lot of headache. Good call on getting a second hand bike you could always sell it after but if you drop a rental bike be prepared to hand over a shitload of cash for repairs if I was you I would trawl this forum for a bike that suites the type of riding you do as out local second hand online sales sites are full of scammers or as Chris says go check his place out in paarden eiland in Cape town he does all accessories and there are a few bike shops around the area

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 09:28:15 am »
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:02:33 pm »
You can leave your bike with me, I'll look after it for you...  :biggrin: