Fly & Ride to Cape Town- Help Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Hi,
I'm looking to fly from the US to Cape Town, and purchase a used bike.  8) 8)
I'll then ride the bike in SA for a while, and store it there for a few months while I return to the US.
Upon my return to SA I'll either keep the bike there and tour the entirety of Africa with short duration trips over the next several years, OR progressively move the bike towards Europe (storing it in various countries as I go, and eventually store it in Europe for trips throughout the coming years.
Besides what listed in the helpful "Travelling in Africa Documents, papers and Carne de passage" thread...

What immediate issues (licensing, insurance, etc.) do I need to address to ride the bike just in the Cape Town region?

Where should I store it when I return to the US?

As time passes, what licensing and insurance-type issues will I face riding into other African countries, also including Canet de Passage, etc.?
Will I find secure storage facilities at reasonable costs in other African countries as I make my way towards Europe?

Thank you for your thoughts!  :thumleft:

I know this is potentially a huge topic with hundreds of unasked and yet unanswered questions, but I hope you can help with these initial few.

Al