Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My worst nightmare.  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
My worst nightmare.
« on: June 11, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »

A 22-year-old motorcyclist is fighting for his life in hospital after a bakkie collided with him, sending him flying as he waited at a traffic light in Bloemfontein.

A man driving the white bakkie hit Jason Pieterse in the early hours of Saturday morning in Zastron Street.

Pieterse miraculously survived the crash and is fighting for his life in ICU at Pelonomi hospital.

His father, Johan Pieterse, told TimesLIVE on Tuesday that the family became frantic when he did not arrive home.

Pieterse said they started phoning people close to Jason to ask about his whereabouts.

"I asked my eldest son to phone the police to ask them if there was an accident reported."

He said the police suggested they contact Pelonomi hospital as that is where patients were often taken.

"When he phoned Pelonomi hospital they told us that my child has been lying there since 2:08am on Saturday. We then rushed to the hospital."

Pieterse said Jason, a part-time mechanic, had since regained consciousness but had fractures, and swelling and bleeding in the brain.

"The doctors suspect that he would probably have to go for a brain operation too, but they will only make a decision next week Tuesday when the swelling should have subsided."

Pieterse said the man who drove into his son brought his bike to their house on Sunday morning. "It looks like he picked his bike up and loaded it on his bakkie, but the Sunday he brought the bike in a different car.

"I personally met the guy, but he was very deceitful and told me that my son drove into him. I actually believed him and thanked him for being honest."

Pieterse said he saw the video of the incident only on Monday morning.

"You have no idea how I am feeling. When you are a father and someone does that to your child ..." an emotional Pieterse said.

"We can't thank the Lord enough. We just want to say thank you to friends, family and strangers for the support and prayers. The police and all the medical staff at Pelonomi supported us tremendously. We can't thank them enough for everything they have done for us."

Police spokesperson Const Wendy Nkabi confirmed that a reckless and negligent driving case had been opened.

She said the driver of the motorbike suffered head, chest and leg injuries and was first taken to Mediclinic before being transferred to Pelonomi hospital.

Nkabi said the driver of the bakkie fled the scene.

No arrests had been made, Nkabi said.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-06-11-watch-bloemfontein-biker-fighting-for-his-life-after-red-robot-crash/

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: My worst nightmare.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 02:57:50 pm »
Yep.  Mine too.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 03:04:13 pm »
faaaaaaaaaaaahck.  Thats bad.

I always try brake multiple times to let the light flash on and off and hopefully alert any muppets behind me.  Still hate sitting at the front of the queue if I haven't lane split up there.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 03:09:39 pm »
Last week as I was sitting waiting for a red at the Milnerton Highschool on Marine Drive a container truck came barreling down on me.

There are few things that make you feel small, standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon, contemplating the size of our galaxy, or watching a rusty truck with questionable maintenance in your rear mirror wondering if it is going to stop.

I hope this laaitie is OK and although it will be a long recovery I hope all goes well.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:11:18 pm »
 :o

I hope that Jason have a full recovery from this and that the reckless driver will get what he deserves.

Strongs to the family
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 03:14:13 pm »
So the driver basically had his eyes closed.. WTF

Another chop on his phone.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 03:16:02 pm »
This exact type of incident happened to me some years ago in Durban. Luckily the intersection was clear of traffic at the time. The guy that drove into the rear of me did not even try to brake, goodness knows if I were not there he would've gone straight into the intersection and crashed into the opposite wall anyway (it was a T-junction).

Ever since I have the habit of stopping on the line (between lanes, so to speak) to maximise space for vehicles, and to keep a vigilant eye on my rear view mirror for approaching traffic from the rear. Even so, a few times I have had to speed off to prevent being collided with from the rear.

This is also why the CANSwitch product I developed has the option of continuing to flash the rear lights while you are stationary. Every bit of attention helps.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:17:25 pm by OomD »

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 03:16:37 pm »
I don't ride in the evening often but every now and then

I had a meeting close to that area a week or so ago and the meeting ended when it was already dark.

I had to drive home through that area. 

Gives me the shivers!!

Glad he survived the initial hit (already a huge blessing)  Now the long recovery...
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 03:19:34 pm »
So the driver basically had his eyes closed.. WTF

Another chop on his phone.

Or perhaps a drunk driver seeing that the incident happened at about 02h and last rounds at the bar is usually around 01:30  :patch:

Two weekends ago I went to fetch my girlfriends mother from the hospital at about 01:30 and I was surprised to see how many cars don't stop or even slow down at intersections or stop streets.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Online Ganjora

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
I have the habit of stopping on the line (between lanes, so to speak) to maximise space for vehicles, and to keep a vigilant eye on my rear view mirror for approaching traffic from the rear.

what he said.
i remember the very 1st ride i went on with shark_za and funacide.   
there was another noob who had been nailed from behind.
his story freaked me out,  and has stayed with me.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 03:28:12 pm »
Jeepers that's massively irresponsible, his action should carry a jail sentence and community hours in a trauma unit + he needs to get bliksemed HARD! Strange how a helmet just pops off like that, has happened to me even though it was a correct size helmet and tied on properly, was a PoS Lafe though.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 04:14:43 pm »
Ever since I have the habit of stopping on the line (between lanes, so to speak) to maximise space for vehicles, and to keep a vigilant eye on my rear view mirror for approaching traffic from the rear. Even so, a few times I have had to speed off to prevent being collided with from the rear.

Same here.
It saved my bacon once (8:30 in the morning) when a stupid c#nt in a half tonner bakkie realized too late that there was a red light (and me) ahead of him
It is moerse humbling when a bakkie comes sliding past you sideways halfway across an intersection.

This video however was horrifying to watch.

Indeed one of my worst nightmares as well.

:( :(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:18:47 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline bronzy

• the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 04:26:13 pm »
Sandton BMW fitted a proper Brake light on my mates 1250
i am going to fit the same brake light on my bike when it goes for a service (will post picture when done ) :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 04:42:35 pm »
i am going to fit the same brake light on my bike when it goes for a service (will post picture when done ) :thumleft:

How would this thing have seen a massive brake light, if he missed all 4 traffic lights on bright red?

This makes me so tired of this shithole we live in, how we have to adapt our road habits to cater for those criminals in cars.

"No arrests have been made" . Hello!

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 04:50:57 pm »
Wow that hurts to watch  :eek7: Reminds me of a time a woman drove me off my 1100GS whilst standing stationary waiting for traffic to pass. She literally came out of a side road and headed straight for me. Managed to jump off with impact and fell a massive dent into her car with out injury. She/her insurance then proceeded to make a case of reckless driving against me  :BangHead:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline jsx

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 05:01:49 pm »
Always thought this would never happen to me as I watch the rear view mirror very often (A BMW instructor guy said most bikers get taken out from the back or by vehicles doing U turns and it stuck with me). Still got hit while stopped at a red light. Between checking the mirror and looking away for a second, shit happens. I was working so had to take the car that day.

Have thought of going full LED to improve visibility but the dude that hit me didn't even notice a white bakkie with very good brake lights in his lane till it was too late.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 05:03:02 pm »
Wow that hurts to watch  :eek7: Reminds me of a time a woman drove me off my 1100GS whilst standing stationary waiting for traffic to pass. She literally came out of a side road and headed straight for me. Managed to jump off with impact and fell a massive dent into her car with out injury. She/her insurance then proceeded to make a case of reckless driving against me  :BangHead:
Something similar happened to me when I was 16.   

Now recently.  There is a driver with some massive dents in his door somewhere in Bellville area.  The fucker skipped a red light by swerving around me - f'ken close.  At the time I thanked my lucky stars and just let it go.  Unfortunately I met up with him two lights on.  When I asked if he tried to kill me, he gave me the bird.  I gave him my boot.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 05:34:22 pm »

How would this thing have seen a massive brake light, if he missed all 4 traffic lights on bright red?

This makes me so tired of this shithole we live in, how we have to adapt our road habits to cater for those criminals in cars.

"No arrests have been made" . Hello!

besides all the wishes for the victim , i am sure we all feel the same , this post is the most relevant

as long as no action is taken against kants in our lives , it will only get worse
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

The following users thanked this post: Tradie

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 06:02:35 pm »
Fark sakes. Yes you need eyes in the back of your head when you ride a bike. Watch those rear view mirrors guys. There are some farkin  stupid people out there.
2018 KTM 1290 T
2018 Husqvarna TE 300

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 06:09:40 pm »
Fucker in the bakkie will go 'Sorry'
Judge will go, 'Ja, Ok, toemaar, jy kan maar gaan.'
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html