Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 990 Adventure R vs KTM 790 Adventure R – the battle for dirt supremacy  (Read 10776 times)

Offline BuRP

Every 100 000 kays?

That would be silly and overly cautious, as there's plugs out there lasting an as-per-the-ad 125,000 km.... so any self respecting KLR rider will change it every 150,000 km's - which goes hand in hand with replacing the frame so it's an easy job!  :peepwall:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline 171steve

I own a 990 and waiting on a 790R and tested the 790R against a 950SE back to back
The old 950/990’s have way more character than the 790.
I loved the 950SE even more but buying a new 790 is the sensible thing to do.
790 is a awesome bike even tough the first ride was not nearly as exciting as my first ride on a 990 or even better as on a 950SE but with the 790 i have the best all round dirt orientated adventure bike imo
Its not as exciting as the 950SE on rough stuff but then the 950SE is also not exciting going 150+ on a highway for 150kms and sadly we all have to do a bit if tar to get to the good stuff.
For what ill be using it for the 790 is the best option i can even still lift my girl around on it without falling over every time she climbs on to the bike and the 790 is easier to live with day to day as much as we all like to be hooligans sometimes you just need to go buy milk at the shop at a steady pace :biggrin: i will miss my 990 it will always be a awesome bike and i will miss the sound the handling the character the looks and going 200 down a gravel road but for now the 790 is calling

It handles better in the rough stuff its super light and have awesome suspension (best part was how much more traction you get on the 790 compared to a 990 in same conditions)

That said i have to disagree that the 790 is faster
We Raced the 790 against the 950SE swapping riders with a 40kg difference and the 950SE outrun the 790 everytime also the 950 feels alot faster because of the sound and vibrations and character of the bike but the difference in speed against the two is not major and should not affect ones decision when having to choose between the two.       

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:54:39 pm by 171steve »

Online dirtWarp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Nice reading your objective reply.

The 990 serves as a symbol of an extinct breed.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
I own a 990 and waiting on a 790R and tested the 790R against a 950SE back to back
790 is a awesome bike even tough the first ride was not nearly as exciting as my first ride on a 990 or even better as on a 950SE but with the 790 i have the best all round dirt orientated adventure bike imo
Its not as exciting as the 950SE on rough stuff but then the 950SE is also not exciting going 150+ on a highway for 150kms and sadly we all have to do a bit if tar to get to the good stuff.
For what ill be using it for the 790 is the best option i can even still lift my girl around on it without falling over every time she climbs on to the bike and the 790 is easier to live with day to day as much as we all like to be hooligans sometimes you just need to go buy milk at the shop at a steady pace :biggrin: i will miss my 990 it will always be a awesome bike and i will miss the sound the handling the character the looks and going 200 down a gravel road but for now the 790 is calling

It handles better is the rough stuff its super light and have awesome suspension (best part was how much more traction you get on the 790 compared to a 990 in same conditions)

Tha said i have to disagree that the 790 is faster
We Raced the 790 against the 950SE swapping riders with a 40kg difference and the 950SE outrun the 790 everytime also the 950 feels alot faster because of the sound and vibrations and character of the bike but the difference in speed against the two is not major and should not affect ones decision when having to choose between the two.     

Would be interesting to hear what ride mode, throttle response and MTC settings were utilised on the 790? That could have a huge influence on a head to head drag race.  And then there’s those bloody Karoo 3’s on the 790......

You should hear the sound that comes out of the 790 without cat and Akra without db killer.  Almost snap, crackle and pops like a 950......
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:45:12 pm by Noneking »

Offline Dwerg

Rally mode won't make much of a difference in a drag. Traction control will slow you down a little in first gear. I suspect the 990 and 950 riders habitually short shift instead of over rev on the 790 and banging the quickshifter. @MonkeyNot should bring his SE for a drag so we can see but they have virtually identical power to weight. Quickshifter should swing it to the 790. Personally tested in drags so far: 850GS loses a bike length in each gear, 1200GS LC gains a bike length per gear up to the higher gears where it starts pulling away, same with any bigger displacement bike
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Dwerg

*Mine is with road tyres of course
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Noneking

• Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Rally mode won't make much of a difference in a drag. Traction control will slow you down a little in first gear. I suspect the 990 and 950 riders habitually short shift instead of over rev on the 790 and banging the quickshifter. @MonkeyNot should bring his SE for a drag so we can see but they have virtually identical power to weight. Quickshifter should swing it to the 790. Personally tested in drags so far: 850GS loses a bike length in each gear, 1200GS LC gains a bike length per gear up to the higher gears where it starts pulling away, same with any bigger displacement bike

I just assumed they did the drag race on dirt

On dirt I think Rally setting can be dialled to give optimum grip and acceleration. With max slip and rally throttle response, it will struggle for traction

Offline Dwerg

I just assumed they did the drag race on dirt

On dirt I think Rally setting can be dialled to give optimum grip and acceleration. With max slip and rally throttle response, it will struggle for traction

Yip too many variables in play on dirt to say for sure  :thumleft:

Offline MonkeyNot

“I live my life a quarter mile at a time.  Nothing else matters.  Not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit.  For those ten seconds or less, I’m free.”
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Current: KTM 790 Adv R,  KTM 500 XCW-F
Previous: KTM 950 Super Enduro R, KTM 990 Adv x2, BMW G650 X-Challenge x4,  Yamaha XT 660R,  Honda XR650L, BMW R1200GS

Offline Dwerg

“I live my life a quarter mile at a time.  Nothing else matters.  Not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit.  For those ten seconds or less, I’m free.”
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline RedWolf

You get 990's and 990's...

I had a 950SE and 4x 990R's. The one 990R had stock pipes, the other one Leo Vince, 3rd one had Akra's and the last one had Wings. The SE was on gutted stock pipes. Most of the 990R's was similar on power except for one... :o. That one was so powerful that I couldn't just floor it in first or second gear with my 115kg on top. It would power wheelie just from the throttle. The other 990R's I had to work the clutch to get them to wheelie in first gear.

The powerful one was way way faster than any other 950/990 I diced when the opportunity presented itself. It was like a turbo was fitted and no it didn't had any special filters or power commander.

I should have kept that one..
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline 171steve

:drif:I should mention that we did not use the quickshit on the 790 we did not know that the 790R have a quickshift std.
Instead on one of the runs i reffed the 790 out and the whole cluster lit up like a Christmas tree with everything flickering because the power is so linear and the 950 so loud i could not hear or feel the 790 reffing out into the limiter and by the time i realized i already lost too much to the 950
On second run i really had to concentrate to shit up in in time
That std exhausts makes it hard to hear when to shift up and the 950 with akros next to you makes it even harder

That said its really not a big difference in speeds between the two and i think coming from a 999/950 the 790 might even feel slower because its so smooth.
Its none of that harshness of the 990/950 where you wait for it the one moment and hanging on for dear life the next and that also makes it a better bike to live with day to day imo.

Also on high speed runs on gravel my 990 is much more stable than the 790 i could do 200kmph on that road with my 990 all day long where on the 790 i got scared at 170 and also felt a bit of a head shake, i also experienced this on high speeds on tarmac while my two friends who is both about a head higher and about 30kg plus heavier than me did not experience this so im sure i can sort that out with tyre pressure tyre choice or preload settings

i will have that sorted once i have my 790 if not i will just fit scott or hyperpro damper

Offline Kelevra

The spawn of satan..There will never ever be something like this again. This thing tries to kill you as soon as you hit the starter button.  :ricky: Yes I test drove the 790R pfft

Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

The following users thanked this post: Karambisi

Offline KaTooMatt

:drif:I should mention that we did not use the quickshit on the 790 we did not know that the 790R have a quickshift std.
Instead on one of the runs i reffed the 790 out and the whole cluster lit up like a Christmas tree with everything flickering because the power is so linear and the 950 so loud i could not hear or feel the 790 reffing out into the limiter and by the time i realized i already lost too much to the 950
On second run i really had to concentrate to shit up in in time
That std exhausts makes it hard to hear when to shift up and the 950 with akros next to you makes it even harder

That said its really not a big difference in speeds between the two and i think coming from a 999/950 the 790 might even feel slower because its so smooth.
Its none of that harshness of the 990/950 where you wait for it the one moment and hanging on for dear life the next and that also makes it a better bike to live with day to day imo.

Also on high speed runs on gravel my 990 is much more stable than the 790 i could do 200kmph on that road with my 990 all day long where on the 790 i got scared at 170 and also felt a bit of a head shake, i also experienced this on high speeds on tarmac while my two friends who is both about a head higher and about 30kg plus heavier than me did not experience this so im sure i can sort that out with tyre pressure tyre choice or preload settings

i will have that sorted once i have my 790 if not i will just fit scott or hyperpro damper
The MX tester complained that the 990 pushed on in corners making it hard work to do the MX course.

That is what I like about the 990. You aim it and goes through. So in Soft Sand there is a lot less floating. I rode a mates 660 Alfie Cox and found it too light up front. He didn't like the 990 as he found it to directionally stable.I suppose you like what you are used to. I like that I can point the 990 at an obstacle and if I can get the front wheel through I am through for sure. I accept it is not the nimble windy windy machine some like. I just take care in the tight stuff.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline blauth

It handles better in the rough stuff its super light and have awesome suspension (best part was how much more traction you get on the 790 compared to a 990 in same conditions)

That said i have to disagree that the 790 is faster

Excellent post.    :thumleft:

Offline Sheepman

The spawn of satan..There will never ever be something like this again. This thing tries to kill you as soon as you hit the starter button.  :ricky: Yes I test drove the 790R pfft

Lovely  :thumleft: That looks like the cliffs at Morgan's Bay

Offline Sabre

Every 100 000 kays?

That would be silly and overly cautious, as there's plugs out there lasting an as-per-the-ad 125,000 km.... so any self respecting KLR rider will change it every 150,000 km's - which goes hand in hand with replacing the frame so it's an easy job!  :peepwall:
OK, not exactly, but it does sound very tempting.....  ;) :biggrin:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Damaraland

Objectively I recognize that the  new bikes are better by most measurable metrics.

Yes the 990 is a bitch to service, yes it had many flaws (undersprung front, clutch slave cylinder, starter sprag, gear indicator 0-ring, oil pressure sensor, acrobatic coolant change procedure, chain adjuster seizing, splash protector grinding the swing-arm etc. etc.) but learning to fix all this has made me a much better and competent adventure rider and mechanic (cue BMW rider jokes about how you need to be a mechanic to own a 990).

There seems to be a distinct lack of "character" for me in the new bikes.  They are implements, a means to an end, as opposed to a partner.  I could easily spend quality time, beer in hand, just admiring the lines and shapes on the 990.  Every scratch has a story and a memory behind it.

I think I can safely say I will never, ever love a bike as much as I do my 2007 990S.  No ABS, No traction control, No electronic suspension, no bullshit.  Just pure, visceral, screaming-in-your-helmet riding pleasure.

RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline AAK

Nogal lekker om te weet my 15 jaar ou 950S wat R45000 werd is,is kompetisie vir ‘n nuwe R200k adventure bike :biggrin:

En die 790 skiet ook ver tekort in die “attitude” department.
CG 125, TS 125, KX 85, TW200, XL500s, XR350re, 400exc, VTR1000, TC 450, CBR600rr, WR450, XR650r, Pegaso 650, KTM 950 S, KTM 990 S