Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SEAT MODIFICATION  (Read 132 times)

Offline NEON DEON

SEAT MODIFICATION
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:59 am »
Being a short ass and after tearing my hamstring misstep-ping of the 1190 I require a plan B . I replaced the oem seats with Power-part Ergo seats , again aware they are a bit taller than the stock ones , but are supposed to be more comfortable . Looking at the seat the front seems thicker and can possible be cut down . In order to do this mod I would require a Very capable upholsterer , one that can remove the cover , cut the seat down and then refit the cover to look like it was never removed .
My question is who knows of a reputable upholsterer  around JHB that can be trusted with the seat , These ergo seats dont come cheap , so not keen to take a chance and end up with a stuff up .

Online Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: SEAT MODIFICATION
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:15:44 am »
Uhhh isn't that completely negating the purpose of the "ergo" seat?  You're going to buy an ergo seat, and then chop it down to make it as (un)comfortable as the regular seat?

Rather save the money and just keep the regular seat no?

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:48:47 am »
Stu , that could be a possibility , and the reason I am looking for a very good upholsterer ,  the rear of the seat is fine , the fron seems to curve up sooner ( thicker ) and if I can cut that section down a bit , It could be the answer , I can live with it as it is , bet a centimeter or two would do the trick . I hope  :imaposer:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:49:17 am »
we in CT, so I cannot assist you, but i can give you advice on what WE would do, in your circumstances....

Consider selling the ERGO seat, they are pricey, and once you have chopped that, no one else may want it going forward...

plenty of upholsterers up your way, I suspect, many of who could do this for you...

So you know what to expect price-wise, we charge R950 for creating a comfort seat on the 800GS (1 part seat, IOW...), and that includes adding foam and shaping it, and then another (new) cover, since OEM cover - in this case - will not fit back on the reshaped seat...

Trimming a OEM standard seat is fairly straight for an upholsterer, BEST is to ask them to shape the seat and NOT recover it whilst you test it, and THEN if happy they cover it, we do a lot of BMW 1200 GS seat - shaving them lower - and can usually get 3cm out of the seat without compromising comfort, lower than that and you get too close to the seat pan...

Fitting an OEM cover back on a shaved seat is straight forward usually - just the 'staple' line changes position...

IF me,  would chop your OEM seat...

Shout if you need advice
Chris & Team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208