GS, uninsurable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metaljockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
You know how claim-happy people are supposed to increase the insurance rates for the rest of us?

Here's a very real example how it impacts on ME. Phoned for an Execubike Policy on my 1200GS this morning.
"Sorry sir, we are not allowed to insure that bike"
"Yeah, why not?"
"Our claims ratio on those bikes was so high in such a short time that we had to stop insuring them."

Now, for the first time those bliksems that drop their bikes off the stand and claim to replace each scratched side cover and cracked flicker lens have impacted directly on me. Not nice.

One of our local riders dropped his bike (at 40kph) and suffered substantial cosmetic damage. Emphasis on 'cosmetic'. He claimed something in the region of R37000 to restore the bike to an as new condition. If he had fixed the damage himself I doubt it would have been more than R3500.

I don't blame the insurers, GS's probably have the highest average of inexperienced riders of any high value bike. Secondly GS's are consistantly used off tar, which requires about 50 times more skill than your average road bike jockey. Thirdly, and I know I'm guilty, these bikes are often required to deal with terrain that have a high likelyhood of damaging the bike. The insurers are just protecting the balance of bike owners from our folly.

My question is this, how long before all insurers act on the stats and all dualsport bikes are deemed high risk?