Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Semigrating to Jozi  (Read 489 times)

Offline Blikkies1

Semigrating to Jozi
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »
So, the company I've been employed by for 15 years has offered me a great deal to move to Jozi, double salary plus some other stuff. Some history - they moved me from PE to Jozi, Jozi to Durbs, Durbs to Jozi and then Jozi to CT. I've made a life here in CT, I'm a single dad to a 19yr old who's in varsity down here. I'm turning 40 so need to start making proper money, either for retirement or emigration. I am absolutely in love with Slaapstad, the 10 years I did in Jozi made me a real unhappy person, I became a complete twatwaffle by the end of my stint there - lost a marriage etc. I don't have to go but the money is good, I have a fear that I will be unhappy and 'hard' again if I go back. Would you do it and what would your stipulations be? The last time I moved there I gave it 5 years which ended in 10, I'm thinking 3 years of hard graft and then moving on.

Offline Blikkies1

Re: Semigrating to Jozi
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:34:32 pm »
I must add, the deal involves me coming home every two weeks so I get to maintain my son and dog down here. The office is in Corporate Park North, is Midstream Estate the best option to live in that area? My 990 stays in CT for when I come home, i used to race Enduro in Joburg and wouldn't mind getting back into it so will be on the hunt for a KTM 300 pre EFI. I got into many road-rage incident because of stupid drivers when I lived up there, would you commute on a bike up there?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:37:10 pm by Blikkies1 »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:45:05 pm »
MidStream - look close to that, its the commute thats the kak bit imo - try and get as close as possible.

There are PLENTY of okes to ride with in the Pta east area - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=178479.0 - so maybe look at a 650 something to keep you sane?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • PlastiDip is Cool.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:47:56 pm »
Jip. Midstream or Southern Centurion subs.
Commuting on the bike - depends on what time you are on the highways and by-ways.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 01:53:26 pm »
Thanks CT, I guess I'm actually asking a more fundamental question - would you move to Joburg just for money if you're currently in a good space in Cape Town? I created a market in CT for my company with the idea of moving here and made it happen, to go back now seems counterintuitive. I go up once a month and I really dislike the place.i can't guarantee that my job in CT will be available forever but the job in JHB will be, the current economic climate creates a lot of stress for me down here, the JHB job will be easy and not insentive driven so a lot less stress financially.

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 02:05:30 pm »
Catch 22, if you ask me...

With the current economic climate, I suppose the job in JHB makes sense at this stage.

I, for one, will rather stay in CT for less money if the job was more secure.

I changed careers 5 years ago from the corporate IT world to an automotive engineering shop. Decreased my salary by about 50%.

It was tough for the first three years, but I adjusted my way of living and prefer this to any high paying corporate job.

LOTS of good luck with your decision.
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 02:10:15 pm »
Make a Positive vs Negative list - stick it on the fridge - add to it as you think of things - look at it for a week - pretty sure you will have the answer after that.....

I moved to Jhb for 1 years training in 1990 - never left and I love it!
I grew up in Fish Hoek and about 10 years ago was offered a position in CT - never took it because I dont actually want to live in CT! Odd, that, but for me its true - I made my life here and enjoy the life - I ride a lot and moved companies to get away from the commute 4 years ago - best move i ever made.....

www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

The following users thanked this post: RobC, BullFrog

Offline ClemS

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 02:16:40 pm »
Since you have a youngster still at varsity, the answer seems to be obvious. Will it be such a detrimental move since you still have the luxury to commute back and forth between Jozi and CT?

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 02:17:57 pm »
A major thing that's playing on my mind is that I only have 3 years left of my son living with me before he spreads his wings, if I leave him here I'll miss out a lot. On the other hand, I'll still have the house here and it may give him a chance to mature...I was out of my mom's house at 18, people say that I modicodle my boy but I think it's important for him.to have a home base considering the fact that his mom left him.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:22:41 pm by Blikkies1 »

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 02:44:07 pm »
The mates that I had in JHB have all emigrated, the acquaintance riding guys have also left. Guess I won't be short of riding partners up there because of this forum, the off/roads here are epic, is there a group up there that does proper afkak rides weekly?

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 02:58:19 pm »
I think I am seeing an answer in your own question!

You wrote:
"I go up once a month and I really dislike the place." and....
"I have a fear that I will be unhappy and 'hard' again if I go back..."

that, coupled with your Son, and 3 years left with him living with you, at home, I would stay...

(I have lived up in Jozi, 2 x 3 year stints, place is extremely energizing when I go up for business, but from what YOU say, I would say stay)
Cheers, and good luck with your decision!
Chris
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:58:59 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 03:41:19 pm »
A major thing that's playing on my mind is that I only have 3 years left of my son living with me before he spreads his wings, if I leave him here I'll miss out a lot. On the other hand, I'll still have the house here and it may give him a chance to mature...I was out of my mom's house at 18, people say that I modicodle my boy but I think it's important for him.to have a home base considering the fact that his mom left him.

I have a few mates who commute, out of JHB Friday lunch on a plane back Monday morning?  :biggrin:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:53:15 pm »
Sounds like there is reason to do some work in Cape Town. Maybe negotiate X number days a month in JHB and the rest in CT so you can keep Cape Town going so the company will still be a player down there when the economy start moving again. SOmething along the lines of 4 days a week in JHB with 1 in CT. But flexible so you can manage it this way or effectively one week in CT every 4 weeks depending on the way business develops.

I would love to live in CT still have a place down there but my wife hated it.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 04:44:08 pm »
I'm thinking 3 years of hard graft and then moving on.

I can't see that 3 years of added income is going to make a big enough financial impact.  The losses are not worth it imho.