F800GS Charging Woes - Finally Sorted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dax021

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi all.  Recently sukkeled to start the bike and having had the same symptoms previously, went off and bought a new battery, thinking problem solved (for another year to 18mths anyway).  Bike started great for the rest of that day, but next day again the slow starter turn over, although it did start.  Put it on the charger and was fine for a while, but turning over slowly again a day later.  So, I started thinking it must be the dreaded stator problem, common to this model and did a bit of research, as in reading the relevent posts on this site.  After seeing some pictures of burnt out stators, I decided to open my side cover and look see.  First problem, I now need a new gasket (thought I could just put the cover back with the old gasket for now, no freakin chance, broken in about 10 places)

So, I removed the stator from the bike and pulled out the multimeter.  I'm getting less than 1 ohm between pins 1+2, 2+3, 1+3, which is normal, I think, and about 2.5 ohms between each pin and ground, which is not good as far as I can see.

So, judging by these readings and the colour of the coils (see photo's), can I surmise that my stator is fried?  Also read that rewinding is not a permanent fix, as the stock regulator/rectifier is the culprit which causes the damage in the first place.

What advice would you dogs give as to the way forward, bearing in mind that budget is rather tight.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Attachments

• Stator 1.jpg
    Stator 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Stator 2.jpg
    Stator 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 237