Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - FCR Carb  (Read 372 times)

Offline jdvisagie

DR650 - FCR Carb
« on: July 01, 2019, 02:32:11 pm »
So I just dropped in a FCR39 carb over the weekend on my DR650. Been fiddling with the carb for a while now. First had the sleeve made up and fitted, then ordered the recommended jetting (155 main jet, EMP-5 jet needle, 40 pilot jet, #35 leak jet) and fitted that to the carb.

Had a couple of hours free yesterday so thought why not fit that carb.. I fitted the carb, opened up the airbox and fitted a TwinAir filter. The bike already have a FMF-Q2 tailpiece on it. After fitting the carb and connecting the fuel line, the bike started straight away and even idled fairly well.

First impressions is really good. Bike definitely responds better when twisting the throttle, not night and day but noticeable. The motor seems to spin up (and down) quicker. The most noticeable change is when cruising at low revs and you turn on the power. The motor pulls stronger and smoother from low end, through to mid and top range..

Hopefully my fuel consumption (was around 18-20km/L) is not going to take a hammering! I'll update this thread as soon as I've done more testing wrt to fine tuning and fuel consumption.

The following users thanked this post: Spectaitor

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: DR650 - FCR Carb
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 06:12:40 pm »
Ha! You can kiss that fuel consumption good bye :laughing4:

If the carb is finely tuned and you have lots of self-discipline, maybe you'll reach 18l. But that stronger pullaway is sooooo enticing - not roaring away from everything at the traffic lights will test your will power :ricky:

And of course pointing the bike at any obstacle and just opening up... :drif:

DRs are very capable to start with, but a performance carb makes them much more fun  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:16:26 pm by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline DRme

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 07:29:57 pm »
Looking forward to your update JD

Offline jdvisagie

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:11:01 pm »
Cool folks, I have an update.

So, the FCR carb I installed had a hanging idle issue. I learned that the previous owner split the carb's mid-body to fix a block squirt jet - ag f@k. The hanging idle issue was due to an air leak from that mid-body splitting I believe. The interwebs basically said the FCR carb will be a "hit or mis" after the mid-body has been split - to be avoided at all cost. Due to me doing solo karoo trips, I just couldn't trust this molested carb.

So I popped the old BST40 back into the bike and life carried on.. The stock DR650 is a nice bike, steady as a rock, always there and always willing. But sometimes, just being there is not enough - active participation is what really lights up the fire. When you push her, you want her to push you back. When you press down on her, you want her to press back onto you! You know.. Passion!

I was committed to the DR650 - I wasn't looking at other bikes and excepted my fate of "disciplined biking" opposed onto me - just cruising along everywhere I went. But, when alone sometimes, I longed for a bit more heat and sweat!

One evening late, I saw a YZ450f stripping for parts on Gomboom - I grabbed the FCR39 carb, jetted it again and installed. Then, even more than with the first FCR, the DR650's passion was unlocked. The bike really came alive and pulled SO much better! No more hesitation, no more surging. (Honest moment - the front wheel just comes up so much easier) 

She is pushing and pressing back onto me! We can now also have fun!

I'm convinced this is the first mod to do if you want something extra from your DR. I really do like the stock DR for many reasons, but this mod made it the bike I really wanted. Simple, dependable single thumper for everyday use, but can "engage" when called upon. She's still an older lady, and can't be compared to some of the younger models, but now she tries at least!

All jokes aside, it's something I'll really recommend. Best of all, after around 1000km since installation my fuel consumption is around 19.3km / L - very mixed riding (town, freeway, traffic, some dirt, etc etc). Pretty much exactly what I was getting before. I can however visibly see my rear tyre (K60 Scout - 140) wearing quicker since installation.

Allot of details is available on the interwebs, but if you want to know more, just let me know.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:14:54 pm by jdvisagie »

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:26:39 pm »
Price?
New?
Used?
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 06:54:56 am »
Thanks for the update jd...

Id be interested to know what your average open-Road cruising speed is ( to get that consumption)? And what pipe you are running with it?

Offline jdvisagie

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 02:58:03 pm »
Hi folks, sorry for late reply. Was away for a couple of weeks.

Both carbs were used ones of Gomboom.

First bad carb: R2000
Second good carb: R800
Jetting around: R600
Sleeve to fit DR boot: R400

My average open road speed is normally around 120km/h. Sometimes 130-140km/h for short stretches.