Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Am I Stupid?  (Read 451 times)

Offline Blikkies1

Am I Stupid?
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
My biking has always involved dirt but I've had a woody for the Harley Nightrod Special for a really long time and want to scratch the itch, this one is available now and I want to pull the trigger but would appreciate input on the bike from those in the know here before I do; is it something that can be lived with long-term and is it a  reliable bike? I won't be posing at cafes, it will be used for slabbing to places like Hermanus or Paternoster with a goose on the back over weekends which is not what I like to use the 990 for. I don't want to scratch the itch and have it retire in the garage after six months because it's boring. Yes, I'm turning 40 and hitting a midlife crisis :eek7:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:15:18 pm by Blikkies1 »

Offline Wayne

Re: Am I Stupid?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:07:57 pm »
Can't give any real life opinions. So here is mine, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 01:12:58 pm »
In my opinion the older you get the worse the cruiser bikes are.
You sit up straight with your legs in front of you on a bike with little suspension travel, which is very hard on your lumber spine.
You can't even stand over the bumps.
I sold my cruiser because it was killing my back.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:13:46 pm by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 01:45:11 pm »
Go ride it.

It's not that comfortable for longer rides, especially for the pillion, but really good fun for short stuff.

For what you are wanting to do, try out the bigger ultra-glides and tourers, they're brilliant at that kind of stuff. You'd also be surprised at how capable against the stereotype they are.

But go ride the things before you decide.
I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 01:49:22 pm »
I won't be posing at cafes, it will be used for slabbing to places like Hermanus or Paternoster with a goose on the back over weekends

This is  a bike you use to go pose at cafes. Fact

The suspension on that bike will kill your butt and that of the goose.
It is very hard with very little play.
Friend of mine owned one.........................he says it is the coolest bike to pose with, but the k*kkest bike to ride long distances.
Suspension play on that thing is about 3 cm. Your butt and your back will feel every little unevenness
 on the road. Your pillion is even going to hate it more than you.

I rode this thing and was definitely not impressed by the suspension.  In fact that was the thing that irritated me the
most of the bike

Everything  Rough Rider said is true.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:58:58 pm by Operator »

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:54:36 pm »
Buy a trailer then as well and tow it to the cafes. Then pose with it. Keep the goose on the back seat of the car. It's called juggling your assets.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 01:56:15 pm »
Me and 2 friends rode from Klerksdorp to Capetown over 4 days, 990KTM, 1200GS and a Night rod exactly like the one on the picture.

The biggest issue was the short range and wind, we swapped bikes every 2 hours and after day 2 no one was keen to get on the NR. Look that thing pulls like a steam train and not even the KTM could keep up from a rolling 100km/h to +200....I think it went to 240 on the clock but then you need to hold on for dear life...It will be a very nice 2nd bike after a KTM or GS.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 01:57:52 pm »
Buy the bike. I have a R1200C and just love it. Might not ride it to Cape Town but love it around Jhb, and that is where you are heading shortly not?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Online DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 02:04:54 pm »
fuel range .... NOT

We had a street rod on a couple of rides with us, 110km and the oke was stressing for a petrol station and that was casual riding, if you ride it like it is meant to be ridden, you will plan your rides around fuel stops only
-----------------------
Douglas Norval

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 02:13:40 pm »
I have a sportster and also feel the suspension is crap. Every bump literally takes your wind out. bigger thicker seat helps.
You can fit an aftermarket bigger fuel tank and have decent range, mine has that. Then mine is also a lot better on fuel consumption than the adventure bikes. easy 22kmpl at 140kmph.

going on reviews you should go test ride the equivalent Indian. Same look but supposedly better suspension (and brakes and and and...) but they just don't sound the same.

I see my sportster as the itch to my muscle car fetish. The closest I will get to a rumbling engine with useless brakes and suspension. I also ride it with that mind set.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 02:18:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback so far chaps. i rode one about five years ago; that one had electronically adjustable air suspension and can't remember the ride being too bad but my memory ain't too great these days, not sure how effective it is but this one has progressive front and rear suspension, one bad thing I remember is that it has the turning circle of a ship,  going to give the guy a call and see if he's available for a test-ride on Saturday. I dig the idea that the frame and engine is designed by Porsche.
Francois, the idea thus far is to take the 990 with me to Jozi to keep me sane up there, I need something down here though and thought this would be perfect for ~150km tar trips when I'm home.

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 02:19:26 pm »
Get one of these...all problems solved.....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 02:26:11 pm »
That is sexy Chicco, pillion will hate me though and no space for luggage unfortunately.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 02:50:26 pm »
I love the look of a Harley like that but before I even contemplated buying a bike like that I would take it for a long ride with a pillion 1st but before I did that I would check what their parts cost and what would be 1st to go.

Damn sexy bike though it has to be said. I would'nt mind one in my garage if I was ever going to ride it.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 02:53:52 pm »
True, it is a good looking bike. Not an easy decision.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 06:05:12 pm »
One of the few HD's I still want to own.
A friend who had one said he's biggest gripe was the forward controls. The
wind would get into his pants leg and pull his feet off the controls.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 06:42:33 pm »
Mid life crises?  The GS was made for that and ticks all your boxes.  'strue.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 07:03:56 pm »
 :sip: Please don't do this to yourself, get a decent dualpurpose bike like a Triumph or even a KTM or if you are really not good offroad, well, I was going to suggest a bike, but jawellnofine, someone here will do the rest............
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.