Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GPX route to Google Maps?  (Read 548 times)

Offline BuRP

Re: GPX route to Google Maps?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »
Will one of the other programmes mention overcome this problem.

Maps.me does not need any data, it works off a map you must download, say before you leave as NL's maps are biggish.
It then becomes a normal GPS.
If your route is not the 'default-gps' one then break it up by means of waypoints.... enter these and it'll work.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:56 pm »
Offline maps and gps is not a problem.

If maps.me can save an offline track then it'll work better than google maps. I'll have a look.

Breaking up a track into waypoints is a lot of PT, it shouldn't be necessary.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Aprilian

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • 1200 BMX
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 08:47:12 pm »
The easiest is to buy a data sim in Netherlands. Cheap and they work throughout Europe with no roaming charges. Best if you have dual sim phone. Always buy where RICA can be done - usually airports

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…

Offline _ah_

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 09:48:32 pm »
Why don't you just download the OSM maps for the Netherlands onto your Garmin, then load the GPX and ride it?  I've been doing that for years and works very well.

1. Go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and select "Generic Routable (new style)" -> Europe -> Netherlands and download the "osm_generic_new_gmapsupp.zip". 
2. Upzip the *.img file
3. Upload to your GPS and select the map (somewhere in Setting > Map)
4. Upload the GPX
5. Ride the track

Maybe also see: https://electronic-rally-navigation.blogspot.com/2018/02/etrex-rally-navigation.html

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:39 pm »
Just had a look at OSM. It's quite impressive.

I tested it by looking for baboons pass at Ramabanta - looks like it's now called 'main road'  :imaposer: :imaposer:

But, I tell you what. If that's a free programme, I'm gonna use it from now on. Thanks  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline _ah_

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 09:47:39 am »
Just had a look at OSM. It's quite impressive.

I tested it by looking for baboons pass at Ramabanta - looks like it's now called 'main road'  :imaposer: :imaposer:

But, I tell you what. If that's a free programme, I'm gonna use it from now on. Thanks  :thumleft:

:laughing4: 

I also use Viking GPS to create tracks and routes (on a side note)

Offline Xpat

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 10:26:29 am »
If you are looking for free application with detailed maps that can be downloaded and used offline, as well as GPX upload, you can have a look at mapy.cz.

You can check them up on computer by going to link: www.mapy.cz.

On the phone just look up mapy.cz in your application store (AppStore on iPhone, not sure what it is on Android) and download their application - it's free, no charge. It will allow you to download whatever maps you want onto your device. GPX you can load on computer and then synch it with your phone via your account (you need to register for that).

But they have the same limitations as those OSM maps - Baboon's is called a 'main road'...

Edit: and it has routing and navigation functions. You can easily define a route even in your phone - be it tar road, hiking trail (it has very extensive network of hiking trails marked on it), even cannoeing trail - whatever that is.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:29:39 am by Xpat »