Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice for a BMW'er  (Read 227 times)

Offline Daffyd

Advice for a BMW'er
« on: July 12, 2019, 11:48:40 am »
HI there, so im currently riding a 1200gs LC but not sure wether the occasional ride justifies me having this in the garage and im looking at getting a "cheaper" second hand alternative to replace. I have seen a few 690 for sale and im thinking of downscaling. are any of you using your 690 in this type of manner. A gent i follow is currently traveling around the world on a 701. how are they for power, comfort etc (i do realise you wont compare comfort) but is it ok? plus who all installed a rally kit? becausee they look amazing  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Offline Mpandla

Re: Advice for a BMW'er
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:07:02 pm »
Well, I went from a AT to the 690
I use it every day.
Its my commuter, my plaything and touring bike.
Its got more than enough power to get you into a lot of trouble if you dont watch out I reckon

I have two items on my wishlist:
Underseat tank for just that extra bit of range and a slightly better fairing in the front for open road cruising.

Ask BiG Don about his fairing on his 701

I am really enjoying the 690. Its a hoot  :biggrin:
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Daffyd

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:12:19 pm »
What kind of milage do you get?

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:21:59 pm »
I had a rally kit and rode with it for 3 years. Took it off and I am enjoying it much more although to be honest I haven't ridden it since I got the 790. I will keep it for tech trips though.

Mileage depends how you ride. Anything between 15 and 30 km/l. I generally get around 18. Best mileage was 30 sitting at constant 100km/h
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:23:41 pm by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:33:56 pm »
What kind of milage do you get?

Commuting about 18km/l and touring about 22km/l
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:08:51 pm »
Friend swopped a Triumph 800XCX for a 701 and says it is not the same. He cannot do long distances in the same manner that he did with the 800 as the 701 is uncomfortable - saddle, wind protection, engine is not as well suited.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 01:16:36 pm »
Well, I went from a AT to the 690
I use it every day.
Its my commuter, my plaything and touring bike.
Its got more than enough power to get you into a lot of trouble if you dont watch out I reckon

I have two items on my wishlist:
Underseat tank for just that extra bit of range and a slightly better fairing in the front for open road cruising.

Ask BiG Don about his fairing on his 701

I am really enjoying the 690. Its a hoot  :biggrin:

A very good breakdown.  :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 01:31:54 pm »
Friend swopped a Triumph 800XCX for a 701 and says it is not the same. He cannot do long distances in the same manner that he did with the 800 as the 701 is uncomfortable - saddle, wind protection, engine is not as well suited.

Of course it can't but the Triumph can't do off road and fun like a 701.If a long distance tourer is what you are after then look elsewhere. Although I have done plenty long days on my 690. Longest was around 800 all off road and I will easily do 400km days for as long as I like. The difference is you can do tech rides where you will SUFFER on a Triumph or at the very least do extensive damage to it or yourself. I had a crash the other day in mud. Bike flipped a couple of times. That would've shattered most of a Tiger but my 690 ended up with a couple of scratches that will probably buff out.
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »
Of course it can't but the Triumph can't do off road and fun like a 701.If a long distance tourer is what you are after then look elsewhere. Although I have done plenty long days on my 690. Longest was around 800 all off road and I will easily do 400km days for as long as I like. The difference is you can do tech rides where you will SUFFER on a Triumph or at the very least do extensive damage to it or yourself. I had a crash the other day in mud. Bike flipped a couple of times. That would've shattered most of a Tiger but my 690 ended up with a couple of scratches that will probably buff out.

Agree with this.
Longest I have done so far is 700km a day.

At first I did think.. ok this isnt that great on the open road, going to be a long ride. Then I look down and saw I am already cruising at 130km/h
So I settled in and enjoyed the trip from there on
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:04:30 pm »
R1200GSA - perfect for Namibia Dirt Highway type tours - we did 8000km in 12 days, with 2 rest days, did 1000km plus on 2 occasions on that trip, was the perfect bike for that occasion.
BUT - we didnt do Van Zyls Pass, Koakoland, the river road along the Kunene, etc........
I also have a G650X - perfect bike for hauling around the hills South of Jhb, some mild technical rock climbing, partying on single-track, most I did was 350km in a day, i could have done another few hours, but its a bit more tiring.....
So, different bikes for different trips - but if I could sell the 1200, it would be gone.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline gee

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 07:54:00 am »
I have a 1200 gsa adv have done over 40000 in 2 years mainly touring. heavy bike in the sand cracked ribs to prove it. Bought a xt660z for the trips that require more tech riding. its still a heavy bike
At 62 i find the adv easier to pick up even with the extra weight. I do enjoy the xt on a trip but find it hard work on a longer road. Yes you can ride at 130-140 but at 350 ks you stuffed. Your ass is saw and hand become numb. The gs you do 900 ks and you stop for a coffee brake and you body is ready for the next 900. So if its more long road touring you enjoy stick to the 1200 and get a second bike for the short tech sandy rides