Mini ride report - the Hill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
FrankMac and I set out this morning, a fine south coast winters day, in search of adventure and fresh air. We planned on repeating a route from 2015 that contained a small section of more challenging terrain. Prior attempts to recapture the moment had failed, as we weren't quite sure where the challenging terrain was... (yes we forgot to waypoint it back in 2015).

I almost did not ride as my bike decided it had given up idling one I reached the meeting spot with FrankMac. But luckily decided the outing was worth a little difficulty with the bike stalling and rear wheel trying to lock up if you forgot to keep revs up when you pulled clutch in for gear changes.

A beautiful start with mist burning off the hills

After an hour we were down in the valley floor

Twisting though sugarcane fields with the cane blooming was beautiful. Unfortunately didn't stop for photos.

After 3 hours we had just exited a bluegum plantation, after following a river we thought led to our hill. But it hadn't.

And then, finally, the road started to narrow, crossed a river, and became a track. Memories of swearing and cursing and stalled bikes welled up, we had found our little hill:

The paths were definitely more overgrown than 4 years ago. And strangely, the rivers were full. 3 smll river crossings, and all rivers flowing, deepest at about 40cm +, enough to get water running in the tops of our boots. Wet socks,lovely!

Approaching one of the river crossings:

And departing another of the river crossings. You will note the clear path evident on cresting the steep muddy embankments

Luckily, at this point, once the BMWs radiator fan kicked in, it suddenly remembered how to idle again, which made the rest of the ride a little easier.

Bushes got denser, got some cuts on face for failing to ride with my visor down (by now it was a warm mid-winters day), and the bushes were thorn bushes. I may have forgot to mention...

FrankMac investigating best approach to the last river crossing

All in all, we only had 1 bike dropped each. Well, I had 2, but once was just because I couldn't reach the ground when I stopped, so it doesn't really count... (though it did bruise my butt, so maybe it does)

A final photo after the last river crossing, before climbing the last muddy, overgrown, thorny hill to civilisation above! If you can call a tribal hut civilisation. When you start seeing litter in the bushes, you know you're near the top!

The whole 'challenging' section was only 2.8km, but made the 5 hour ride a whole lot more memorable.