1190 rear shock lowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I have asked on another post how and if possible one could lower a 1190 , even wanted to cut my Ergo seat to get more foot on the ground , seems to me a international problem . A lot of owners has no problem riding, but have a problem stopping.
While looking for something else I came across a link to lowering kits available for the 1190, in essence , pull the forks thru the triple clamp about 30 mm , easy , big job , unplug the rear shock , and remove from frame , them one needs a tool to remove the spring ( dealer has a special tool to remove spring )ask for assistance .
Once the spring has been removed , you have two options , A replace spring for a shorter version available from HYERPRO, assemble shock and refit , ( expensive option ) B , on the bottom of the shock is two half moon spacers , remove these and replace with the kit spacers ( need to import ) my plan is to have these spacers machined down to effectively decreasing the shock stroke , should be same with shorter spring , but the guys report back was that he could put his feet down, bike handled better  , he had to shorted the side stand but found the main dragged in left hand corners ,He  still had to find a solution to this . but mentioned that he had the upper body strength to still put the bike on the main stand . shorter stand will just be easier .
I am keen to experiment with this idea , plan b one , remove the spacer and have it cut down, I am trying to find a damaged shock to strip the half moon bush from , I think it could be under the preload motor and fit on top of the spring ,