Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape Town Dealership  (Read 1711 times)

Offline moldie

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
Cape Town Dealership
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:00:12 pm »
Any word on when we can expect a new dealer in Cape Town?

Been waiting months to get the bodge repair job MHM did to my Tiger properly addressed.

Offline BiganDaft

• Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
Re: Cape Town Dealership
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 02:15:53 pm »
Contact Triumph South Africa and get them to get it sorted out, they supposed to be on top of this.
Google their details.
If you don'rt come right, let me know.
Current:
Triumph Tiger 800XC, Triumph Scrambler, Yamaha XT 500 X 2, Yamaha XT550, Yamaha XT600, Kawasaki KLR 650, KTM 50
Past:
Triumph Tiger 855 (sold), Triumph Speed Triple 955 (sold), Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (sold),Yamaha IT 490 (SOLD) Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold), Honda XR200 (killed), Honda XR 500 (killed), XT600 (killed)

Offline WILLY G

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
Any word on when we can expect a new dealer in Cape Town?

Been waiting months to get the bodge repair job MHM did to my Tiger properly addressed.

May i ask what did they bugger up?

Offline moldie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:44:42 pm »
After taking month to replace a cracked headlight and some scratched panels, I found some brackets for attaching the headlight and beak were also snapped off.

That and of course not returning emails, not returning phone calls, being given the transfer merry go round every time you phone them. Only issuing quotes after being prompted multiple times to do so. Trying to get me to sign blank paperwork when collecting the bike. Not knowing where the bike is when collecting it. Having the bike be covered in oily spots when collecting it. Finding the front fork leaking oil after driving off. Not actually reading the order from insurance agent on what needs to be done. The list goes on....

Last time it took it to them for a service they tried doing a valve clearance check even though one had been done by them less than 10000km before. They didn't clear the service indicator light (which came on only 5000km since the last service, still waiting on Chris's reply why this might be). The fog lights also mysteriously stopped working after this service.

In ander woorde, ek kak eerder in my eie hand as om ooit weer na MHM te gaan.

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen, bluedigital

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:58:04 pm »
Is this after they merged with Thruxtin in Bellville?

Offline moldie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 08:33:31 pm »
Yep

Offline Sputnik080

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:26:34 am »
PM Sent
History:
1) 2008 Vuka XT125 (sold)     2) 2013 Motomia Java 170 (sold)     3) 2000 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (sold)     4) 1994 Honda CBR600 F2 (sold)     5) 2004 Honda XL650V Transalp (sold)     6) 2004 BMW R1200GS (current)

Offline unishaun

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:00 am »
I was told they were looking to open end of 2019, beginning of 2020. Who knows though.

I also had issues after the 40 k service and lost it with them. Let's just say the owner/manager at MHM does not like me much when I told him what I think of his store and workshop.

Sent from my A8 using Tapatalk

Offline moldie

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »
Just had a chat to Bruce from Triumph SA.

They apparently plan to have a new Cape Town dealership before end of the year.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 03:00:12 pm »
Robin, used to be at MHM and left to join Super Bike Solutions, he came back to Thruxton, I will only let him work on my bike (800 xcx) My valve clearance check is due shortly. (30 000km)
But It is good news that Bruce is planning to open shop in CT. Hope it materialise.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline McKracken

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:03 pm »
Just a heads up- I've just about finished my first service on the tiger since the warranty expired 20000km.
All went well, one or two small snags like where the factory hadn't quite seated the seal on one of the linkage bearings, and it's worn funny. No dirt ingress luckily.
Until
After greasing the headstock bearings I came to remove the front wheel. Tyre is shot and I wanted to true the wheel before I changed and balanced the new takkies.
Loosened up the pinch bolt, and try to loosen the axle.
Something is wrong- removed the pinch bolt altogether, and got out the manual to check I've not missed something...
Nope, nothing missed, just needed to try harder-  eventually the axle moves with a pipe on the power bar.
I unscrew the axle while not focussing on the far side fork leg. The axle has unthreaded and has splayed the forks apart quite dramatically, however the RHS fork is still seated on the axle. After much swearing and prodding, I found that the RHS spacer was stuck on the axle, preventing the axle from sliding out, and the LHS fork foot had twisted and is not threading back.
I heated the spacer (sometimes an aluminium boss on a steel shaft siezes on- but it wasn't the case as the axle is also ally)
Eventually I get the spacer turning by holding it with water pump pliers *shudder*.
No matter what I did it wouldn't move along the axle. Long story short, I had to re-engage the thread (which was about an hours tweaking and cursing) to release the tension to be able to drop the forks out of the triple clamps, so I could strip the axle from the other side.
The axle had been so overtightened that the spacer deformed into the relief groove cut against the shoulder of the axle, and locked it on place. I had to drift it damm thing off.
My front wheel has only ever been off twice before, once at trac Mac, where I fitted knobblies, and tightened the axle myself, as I needed to be able to remove it if I got a puncture, and the second time, was a MHM when the oem tires were re fitted at the 10000km service.
I am going to have a talk with the guys there tomorrow, as now the spacer deformation means that the whole assembly is off centre, and  loading the forks in closed up manner.
My bike was the first ever bike to be serviced in the paarden eiland workshop for reference.

TLDR:
Check the front axle can be withdrawn after a dealer fitment.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:58:27 pm by McKracken »
Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline McKracken

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 04:28:44 pm »
Just a heads up- I've just about finished my first service on the tiger since the warranty expired 20000km.
All went well, one or two small snags like where the factory hadn't quite seated the seal on one of the linkage bearings, and it's worn funny. No dirt ingress luckily.
Until
After greasing the headstock bearings I came to remove the front wheel. Tyre is shot and I wanted to true the wheel before I changed and balanced the new takkies.
Loosened up the pinch bolt, and try to loosen the axle.
Something is wrong- removed the pinch bolt altogether, and got out the manual to check I've not missed something...
Nope, nothing missed, just needed to try harder-  eventually the axle moves with a pipe on the power bar.
I unscrew the axle while not focussing on the far side fork leg. The axle has unthreaded and has splayed the forks apart quite dramatically, however the RHS fork is still seated on the axle. After much swearing and prodding, I found that the RHS spacer was stuck on the axle, preventing the axle from sliding out, and the LHS fork foot had twisted and is not threading back.
I heated the spacer (sometimes an aluminium boss on a steel shaft siezes on- but it wasn't the case as the axle is also ally)
Eventually I get the spacer turning by holding it with water pump pliers *shudder*.
No matter what I did it wouldn't move along the axle. Long story short, I had to re-engage the thread (which was about an hours tweaking and cursing) to release the tension to be able to drop the forks out of the triple clamps, so I could strip the axle from the other side.
The axle had been so overtightened that the spacer deformed into the relief groove cut against the shoulder of the axle, and locked it on place. I had to drift it damm thing off.
My front wheel has only ever been off twice before, once at trac Mac, where I fitted knobblies, and tightened the axle myself, as I needed to be able to remove it if I got a puncture, and the second time, was a MHM when the oem tires were re fitted at the 10000km service.
I am going to have a talk with the guys there tomorrow, as now the spacer deformation means that the whole assembly is off centre, and  loading the forks in closed up manner.
My bike was the first ever bike to be serviced in the paarden eiland workshop for reference.

TLDR:
Check the front axle can be withdrawn after a dealer fitment.
Update: went and spoke to the guys at MHM, and without any hesitation they're replacing the spacer. Just hoping that my forks aren't bent now. Still need to check them properly.
Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline moldie

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 04:14:32 pm »
Latest update from Bruce Allen

It’s getting there, in fact I have just got off the line with our prospective partner in Cape Town.  This is the same party that we have been in discussions with since September last year.

The process of getting Triumph UK signoff on the facility is just taking longer than expected.  It is unfortunately not as simple as identifying a location and a partner and opening up.  We need to ensure that the business is structured viably for the current dismal market, as well as capable of growing in a market that may grow in the future.  We just cant afford to create future disruption through not considering all the variables before getting going.

I realise you may think that we are merely “kicking the can down the road”, but I assure you we are doing our best to get Cape Town open as soon as is possible.  This is currently our highest priority.

I am reluctant to make another empty commitment as I have done previously.

When we are 100% ready we will get it going, I will let you know.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 06:26:27 pm »
After taking month to replace a cracked headlight and some scratched panels, I found some brackets for attaching the headlight and beak were also snapped off.

That and of course not returning emails, not returning phone calls, being given the transfer merry go round every time you phone them. Only issuing quotes after being prompted multiple times to do so. Trying to get me to sign blank paperwork when collecting the bike. Not knowing where the bike is when collecting it. Having the bike be covered in oily spots when collecting it. Finding the front fork leaking oil after driving off. Not actually reading the order from insurance agent on what needs to be done. The list goes on....

Last time it took it to them for a service they tried doing a valve clearance check even though one had been done by them less than 10000km before. They didn't clear the service indicator light (which came on only 5000km since the last service, still waiting on Chris's reply why this might be). The fog lights also mysteriously stopped working after this service.

In ander woorde, ek kak eerder in my eie hand as om ooit weer na MHM te gaan.

One of the reasons I really hate using a dealership to service and repair my bike. There are many competent back yard type garage mechanics available in ZA. It's actually scary... And these guys value your business and treat your bike with respect.

I dont know why the above happens because it actually shouldn't.

I remember servicing my bike at Honda Boksburg one year and when I picked her up there was more wrong with her than rigbt and it was a simple 1000km service oil change. I lost my temper so badly my poor wife ran out of Honda and then proceeded to kak me out all the way home becuase of the embarrassment I caused her.

She just didn't understand  :lol8: :lol8:
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline moldie

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 11:54:34 am »
One of the reasons I really hate using a dealership to service and repair my bike. There are many competent back yard type garage mechanics available in ZA. It's actually scary... And these guys value your business and treat your bike with respect.

I dont know why the above happens because it actually shouldn't.

I remember servicing my bike at Honda Boksburg one year and when I picked her up there was more wrong with her than rigbt and it was a simple 1000km service oil change. I lost my temper so badly my poor wife ran out of Honda and then proceeded to kak me out all the way home becuase of the embarrassment I caused her.

She just didn't understand  :lol8: :lol8:

Yep, took the bike to Superbike Solutions in Somerset West for the last service. Extremely impressed with their service. Does a better job than MHM ever did.

Offline bluedigital

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 08:02:55 am »
Triumph Cape Town is up and running, right next to Cape Bike Travel - 125C Buitengracht St

Offline WILLY G

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 06:11:47 pm »
Great news have you been there? Fulon dealership,servicing etc?

Offline WILLY G

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 06:15:11 pm »
Great news is ir a fulon dealership with servicing etc?

Offline Herkules

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 07:54:01 am »
Triumph Cape Town is up and running, right next to Cape Bike Travel - 125C Buitengracht St
:sip: Yes, great 👍 news, I am booked to take the Truimph Rally Pro for a test ride tomorrow at 10:30. Looking forward to it. :3some:

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 10:56:02 am »
So so happy about this you have not idea.   Hopefully their level of service is better.