Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Adventure Sport questions?  (Read 426 times)

Offline TylerD

Adventure Sport questions?
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:09:29 pm »
Hi guys,
I am looking at getting a bike again after a 10 year break from biking. (Not intentionally)
I had a 1150gs back then and sold for life obligations.

Firstly I wanted to get a 690 and then decided against it seeing that I'm 125kg. I will look rediculous on it.  ;D

Went to have a look at KTM and BMW, but the other day I went to have a look at the ATAS and I'm in love.

How are your experience with the bike? I have read the forum and a general happy with it is all round?

Do I need to update the rear spring for my weight off the bat?

Is there mayor issued like the KTM airboxes or the GS suspension issue? (Just stuff I read. Maybe not that big of an issue)

I am very use to clutch, but is the DCT really worth the extra kg and price?

I know you guys get alot of questions, but I just want to know before I buy.

Have a great day.

Offline Ventana

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
Re: Adventure Sport questions?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:39:29 pm »
At the risk of reviving an old post i think the OP posts a valid point.  The thing is that the Adventure Sport is different to the 'normal' AT.  I've discovered this after taking delivery of my ATAS a week or so ago.....and I absolutely LOVE the bike.  Coming from the 800GS (which is the best bike BMW ever made IMHO) the Honda is magnificent.  Not the quickest or the most powerful but simply magnificent in every respect.

But....dont go buying farkles made for the Africa Twin.....they probably wont fit the ATAS......(make sure you buy AT Adventure Sport specific parts)  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Lekker bike!!! love it!!!
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

The following users thanked this post: Husamarine

Online Dux

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:32:12 pm »
It will take you 0.5 seconds to get used to DCT , go for it 👍🏻
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline ekkie-pekkie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:40:50 pm »
Good day @TylerD,

I don't have an AT but I do have  NC750X DCT. I also used to have a clutch operated bike.

IMHO, the only issue I have with the DCT is when arriving at work. We have speed bumps in the road at the airport. The DCT changes gears from 20km/h and below from 2nd to 1st. This I don't like. As you hit the speed bump I am in 2nd, go below 20km/h and the DCT puts it in 1st. Here you need to make sure you have control over the throttle as it feels like you are going to do an unexpected wheelie. It's not the same as with the clutch where you can pull the clutch in 2nd gear and use the throttle to go over the speed bump.

This is the only issue I have with the DCT.

It has a lot more functions that the manual. You can use it in like a step tronic mode where you can still manually change the gears, you have 3 auto sport modes, you have normal econo drive mode.

You don't have to concentrate as much anymore on shifting gears, you have more time concentration on the road(looking around if you want). The fuel economy is better in the clutch version compared to the DCT. My DCT gives me 29km/L as the manual give 31km/L. It's not a lot, but I would like to mention it.

Yes I would still get a clutch bike again, but for now the commuter is giving good results. It is not an "Old man's" thing. I find it faster of the line than the manual as you don't have to control a clutch. It is also not a scooter with gears as many people mentions it. It's a motorbike with a auto box. Makes life easier. I have also watched a few YT videos and the AT DCT does very well offroad.

My 2c on a DCT bike

Onthou, oop kole heel pad!!!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:42:44 am »
I have also only ridden the NC750 X dct
I nearly cried when I sold that bike!
With a pillion it is smooth and so effortless without any hassles, I used sport mode due to the extra weight.
Offroad, it is magic! No stalling, smooth traction and you can concentrate on your line etc.
You get used to the box in a few hundred kmís.
That paddleshift in the twisties works great.
Dakar 650
SR 500