Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BIKE SA- OLD AND NEW...  (Read 1001 times)

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
BIKE SA- OLD AND NEW...
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
Is it only me, but i have never been able to finish an article written by Sir Alan Cathcart?
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Sheepman

Re: BIKE SA- OLD AND NEW...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 02:15:18 pm »
Is it only me, but i have never been able to finish an article written by Sir Alan Cathcart?

Why ?

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 02:18:43 pm »
Oh yipeeee!!!

We haven't had one of these for a while.

Just give it a few minutes...

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 02:28:29 pm »
Cathcart has a long and distinguished testing career.

Having said that, any test that appears in BikeSA is drawn out and conclusionless.

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 02:37:39 pm »
He just seems to get in soooo much technical detail- no paragraphs, no interesting stories. But hey, that's just me. Howard Stafford and Nic Yell- they tell goood stories

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:44:44 pm »
He just seems to get in soooo much technical detail- no paragraphs, no interesting stories. But hey, that's just me. Howard Stafford and Nic Yell- they tell goood stories

If you want a thorough test, Nick and Howie fall short, here Cathcart is your man.

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 02:48:18 pm »

If you want a thorough test, Nick and Howie fall short, here Cathcart is your man.

:thumleft: Jaaa boet. But to read an article oh hie is soooo boring. To me anyway :'(

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 02:50:45 pm »

:thumleft: Jaaa boet. But to read an article oh hie is soooo boring. To me anyway :'(

:thumleft: there is indeed something like being too professional, and Cathcart mostly sounds like he's writing for a science journal.

I like him though.

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 02:58:02 pm »
I appreciate his 40 years of bike journalism over a huge spectrum - testing, racing, interviewing and much, much more.AC is world widely respected as a journo.He however has a tendency of sometimes over indulging on the technical side of bike tests, but I am sure he has a captive audience for that side, me included. I agree, his reads are sometimes not easy and flowing but I read past that.

The following users thanked this post: ETS, Sabre

Offline Serfie

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:36:06 pm »

:deal:  :thumleft:
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 / 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000/ 2014 BMW F700GS

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 05:00:01 pm »
I like the depth of Cathcart’s reviews. In fact he is quite unique in the modern world of motoring scribes. Most bike reviews be it local or even the American media are so shallow and superficial, I often feel cheated. Dirtbike and Dirt Rider spring to mind. Maybe with age and experience I feel jaded, or it’s because I already found the key data on the internet , but I find they tell me nothing. Even the pics are kak
2018 KTM 1290 T
2018 Husqvarna TE 300

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 05:02:08 pm »
Sorry, not intending to blow smoke up anyones ass, but Fourie Junior’s articles have got better and better over the years. :thumleft:
2018 KTM 1290 T
2018 Husqvarna TE 300

The following users thanked this post: 2-Stroke

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 05:06:17 pm »
I appreciate his 40 years of bike journalism over a huge spectrum - testing, racing, interviewing and much, much more.AC is world widely respected as a journo.He however has a tendency of sometimes over indulging on the technical side of bike tests, but I am sure he has a captive audience for that side, me included. I agree, his reads are sometimes not easy and flowing but I read past that.

On the very other end of the scale you find Harry of "best D/S bike in the world" GS310 fame. :eek7:

Offline Sabre

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 06:27:37 pm »

100%  :thumleft:
I like technical reports
The Cycle magazine (USA) carried the best bike tests ever. Not only would the bikes be tested by the editor (Cook Nielson, ex road racing champion) and an in depth report on the bike compiled, but the other half of the test explained all the technical ins-and-outs, including pictures of a stripped down engine of the bike.
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Sabre

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 06:35:02 pm »
Sorry, not intending to blow smoke up anyones ass, but Fourie Junior’s articles have got better and better over the years. :thumleft:
Agree, I like his articles. They are informative and concise.

But, then he makes a remark in the last TV program about them being professional bike testers and can compensate for the road tyres fitted to a bike when they test a bike in the dirt.

Put a smile on my dial  ;D
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 06:37:23 pm »
Cathcart has a long and distinguished testing career.

Having said that, any test that appears in BikeSA is drawn out and conclusionless.

Can’t annoy the advertisers.

I like AC. Enjoy the articles.

Do prefer ole Howies ramblings. Guess as one mellows we don’t need to know just how many horses etc.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 09:29:02 pm »
ETS soek meer prentjies wat hy kan kyk op die levy  :imaposer:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Africanus

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 07:54:00 am »

Don't think I've ever read a Cathcart nor Charlie Cooper.

But Nic Yell and Howie are lekker.

I found the old Bike SA endearing because everything was gat-oor-kop but they spoke bike and that mattered.

Simon's index of advertisers was more accurate than the contents index.

I've mostly abandoned new Bike SA unless there is a Triumph or Ducati test inside. Maybe a Kawa too.

Migrated to Clinton's mag and Ride Fast and good to see Don is active there.

Offline WildWood

• Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 08:37:30 am »
AC is a motorcyclist. Can ride. Can write. Is intelligent . Immense pedigree.
The others are barkers. No more and no less.

I stopped buying and even free reading Bike SA years ago because there was nothing to read. Bike reviews were so vacuous and for the rest just pics rallies/pissups. And of course the beer hall.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 09:38:24 am »
The 'old' Bike SA was to me, simply not worth it. Maybe 10 minutes of decent reading in a book full of 'padding'.

The post Simon version is better in that it certainly has more content, but I only bought the first couple of issues, then went back to occasional browsing.

I've read quite a lot of Alan Cathcart in various publications over many years, and although his writing sometimes is not easy reading it's always high quality and well worth the extra effort.