Electrical Problem on my Fugly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NutsAndBolts

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi all.

For the last few weeks my KLR 650 had and still have an electrical problem. She would start about 5-7 times fine and then she will start to struggle up until a point where I need to charge the battery.  It's at a point where I need to charge the battery every second day.

Symptoms that she have: On start up with the charged battery the voltage over the battery is 12.4 V and it stays here while the bike idles @ 1500 rpm. On increasing the revs to 3500 rpm the voltage drops down to 12.3 V and stays there and each time I start the bike the voltage keeps decreasing. This is not cool.   

So according to my understanding the battery is not being charged...

Things that I have looked at:
- A short in the harness (Found a few places and fixed it, but the problem still occurred)
- I've checked all the fuses and they are all still fine. 
- The battery is keeping it's charge (12.6V)
- I've swapped the starting relay and fan relay out with another KLR 650's(my brothers KLR  and the relay are still okay)
- I've swapped the regulator/rectifier out (also with my brothers KLR) and tested it on his bike and it doing its job (The voltage does not exceed 14.3V on his
  KLR)
-  I've done the magneto test and found that @ 1500 rpm I get 8Vac on M1, 11,8Vac on M2 and 12Vac on M3 and at 3000 rpm I get 17.7Vac on M1, 19Vac
  on M2 and 17.2Vac on M3. (Are these values to low and may this be the cause of the problem?) I've also done the same tests on my brother KLR and his
  reading are slightly bigger than the readings that I am getting for my KLR.
-  I took the resistance reading between the magneto coils and ground and got a reading of 0,9 ohm for all three coils.
-  I also went on and checked the ignition coil and it seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions as of what may cause the problem? I do not know what to check next... ???