Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Action Cameras, what are you using and why?  (Read 830 times)

Offline sandrot

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
Action Cameras, what are you using and why?
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:58:41 pm »
Doing a trip to Namibia in a couple of weeks so hence the question.

So many options out there, GoPro is obviously better, and is it really that much better.

What are you using and why did you choose it?
What do you like or dislike about it.

Fire away please
KTM 950 Adventure S

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Re: Action Cameras, what are you using and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 04:05:17 pm »
Are you getting some action now?
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 04:23:13 pm »
Are you getting some action now?

Ok.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 04:25:36 pm »
TomTom Bandit on my helmet - prefer the skinnier profile to the GoPro, and the built-in USB makes charging and transferring to PC easy (no cables). The app is good and battery life is good, as long as you don't use the GPS. It's getting a bit old now though; only does 1080p60, 1440p30 or 4k15.

GoPro Hero Session mounted to various places on the bike. The tiny form factor is extremely versatile, waterproof without a case, very fast to start up and record, typical GoPro image quality is a little better than the TomTom but not by much. Battery life is predictably short though.
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

The following users thanked this post: sandrot

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:47:41 pm »
Doing a trip to Namibia in a couple of weeks so hence the question.

So many options out there, GoPro is obviously better, and is it really that much better.

What are you using and why did you choose it?
What do you like or dislike about it.

Fire away please
I've been using the Drift Ghost range for many years now & always been really happy with it.

Currently have the Ghost-4K.

Main attraction to the ghost range is that it has a fully rotatable lens, plus with the great mounting feature it has allows for quick/easy removal on the fly.

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 04:59:56 pm »
If I can give you some (very personal and might not apply to you) advice - whatever you go with, test it and learn how to use it and get comfortable before you go on your trip (ie ride around with it and test it as much as possible)

As it is (for me anyway) I somehow become very much aware of the fact that I have an action camera and then I end up looking at everything and everyone through a filter of 'that might be a cool shot'.
Then I tend to lose a bit of the feeling of 'I am enjoying the moment'. If I then add on top of that the 'is it recording ? 'Are the settings correct ?' and other technical questions and you might get to lose a bit out on the experience.

At the very least - get to know the thing well before you intend to use it.
Also decide before the time where you want to use it (like you might only need about 20 seconds of the R355 so you can switch it on 3km's out and then you have 2minutes of footage that ends in you turning in to Tankwa padstal, but you would probably like to shoot the entire Ouberg pass, so at the bottom you switch it on and then forget about it (and enjoy the ride) 'till the top)

In knowing where you want to switch on and where not you can save your battery and space on the SD cards.
Nothing like wasting all you storage space on the boring bits in the 1st 2 days of your ride and then needing to be very frugal about the space you have left towards the end of the trip.

Having said that - I don't know the brand, but I do know that you get a type of camera that recycles the entire time while recording and then if you hit a button it saves the past 'x' minutes (usually that is the setup that I wished I had all the time)

The other advice that I can give you (also for figuring out before the time) is to get the 'aim' right.
I have a gopro hero 2 and I stick it to the side of my helmet.
Very frustrating to look at footage that you feel you want to lift your head the whole time while watching it.
So what I did was I aimed it to where I thought was right, put the helmet on, looked at what I considered to be the 'middle' of how I wanted it framed, looked at the footage and then adjusted the camera and repeated so that I had it set that the middle of my visor opening was just below the middle of the actual footage.
Then I made a mental note on the orientation of the camera and its mounts (and the angle that it is at) in relation to the markings on the helmet.
You can even put whiteboard marker marks if you want to
Then at least you know a) how to set the camera every time and b)how the shot will be framed if you frame it from your point of view inside the helmet.

Of course the 'try/look/adjust/repeat' cycle will be far easier if you have a camera that has wifi and can transmit what it sees to your smartphone as you can then adjust on the fly.
Then you go ride with it and if you figure out that you look somewhere else and the footage isn't perfect you adjust accordingly.
This works the best if you don't have to think about the framing of the shot and in naturally 'looking' somewhere you know it will be framed the same as what you saw from your helmet

I hope my unasked for ramblings give you a bit of a different perspective and something else to think about.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:06:30 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: sandrot, eberhard

Offline OomD

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »
Been using the Garmin Virb Elite now for a few years, honestly don't know what I'll replace it with when the time comes. No other one I've seen offers me the same use. What I love about it, it has fisheye lens correction (so a nice wide field of view without the distortion) and a large start/stop knob on  the side. So flick to start and it turns on and starts recording. Flick to stop and it turns off. Although it has other buttons you only need this one switch when recording, which makes it a blessing when using gloves. Built-in GPS too.

But, like all Garmin products it does have its flaws. Once you're used to it though, it's a brilliant camera with excellent video quality. But already discontinued.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 06:29:13 pm »
GoPro Session 5 for under the peak, its got some stabilization and one touch recording setup.  Just keep the lens clean.

Also have the Hero 7 Black but like the form factor of the Session more for practical use. Minimum get a Yi Lite, its stabilized and quality is great, can do do 4K but having 1080P/60 is all that is really needed in an action cam.

If I had to have one its the 7 Black but the Session 5 gets used the most.

Offline FanieKrismis

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 06:39:53 pm »
Just enjoy your trip and when you get back Google for photos of the places you have been to, they have all been photographed to death by professionals already.

Take a simple happy snappy camera along to take photos where you/your bike etc. are in the shot for those memories.

Action cameras are only really great for others when SHTF for you and you record and post it, and usually when SHTF the action cameras are off, batteries flat, memory cards full.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 06:47:54 pm »
Gopro because replacement accessories are always available. I have ion air in my drawer that I canít use anymore because the mount broke and you canít get them anymore
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Exploratio

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 07:07:39 pm »
Gopro because replacement accessories are always available. I have ion air in my drawer that I canít use anymore because the mount broke and you canít get them anymore
I will pm you the contact for Ion cameras. Just last week got a WIFIPOD from them for my Speedpro.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Noneking

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:40 pm »
Had a Garmin Virb Elite which I sold to change to a Gopro. Can honestly kick myself about that decision. The Garmin had better battery life, was easier to switch recording on and off without remote and the editing software was great. Footage quality was better than gopros Iíve had (latest was hero5 black)

Downside of the Garmin was limited mounting options because of size and shape. Garmin mounts interchangeable with gopro accessories.
It also felt heavy on top of my helmet
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 05:15:43 am »
I will not blow smoke up your arse, I know nothing about this stuff, I don't know what best is,  however, I visit many store for my first action cam .......... ask many many agents for best all around action cam for picture, battery life, and most importantly for me, reliability.  I like products to work long time with minimal issues.

Consensus was Sony FDR-X3000 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278151-REG/sony_fdr_x3000_action_camera.html

Spare Batteries:  5 x Sony NP-BX1 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983888-REG/sony_npbx1_m8_np_bx1_rechargeable_battery_pack.html

Camera/Action Cam Battery Charger:  Sony https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913639-REG/sony_acctrbx_cyber_shot_battery_charger_kit.html?sts=pi-ps&pim=Y

Action Cam Gimbal:  FeiyuTech G5GS https://www.newegg.com/p/0UF-01FK-00002?item=9SIAGK17XG9698&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-go2play-_-accessories+-+camera+other-_-9SIAGK17XG9698&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLDE6cLd4wIVA0OGCh3qzg14EAkYCyABEgJpQPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Memory Card:  Sandisk Extreme microSDXC 256gb https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431038-REG/sandisk_sdsqxa1_256g_a_extreme_microsd_256gb_card.html

Ram Mounts:  Double Socket Arm https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-double-socket-arm

Ram Mounts:  U-Bolt base https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-u-bolt-base

Ram Mounts:  Camera mount https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-camera-adapter

As Eisben so wisely said above, don't be stupid like me and buy cam 3 days before leaving on trip.  Get the basics down before you leave.  Too much frustration out on road trying to deal with tiny chintzy cameras with tiny buttons with my gorilla hands.  I lost hours of footage pushing buttons without consulting manual.  :xxbah:  I learned the hard way one must switch off Sony image stabilization when using gimbal.  :xxbah:

I'm not sure I needed 4K capability.  4K eats batteries, takes forever to download.  Cam gets hot recording in 4K.  1080P @ 60fps provides fantastic quality, still eats batteries but not like 4K.  720P footage looks nice on my 4k Apple laptop and battery lasts long time. 

I cannot recommend the FeiyuPhukJunk Gimbal for the Sony Action Cams.  Chintzy cheap construction.  Boom made out of cheap metal, snapped within a couple months of use.  No recourse with company, no answer to email inquiry, no service.  Out over $200 for junk.  I threw it in my campfire.  Next morning it was still in fire pit, so I pissed on it.  Packed up camp, walked by fire pit, still saw it, piss was dry, so I picked it up, bounced it off fire pit and picnic table a few times.  Took it with me down the road until I got near a ravine.  Launched it as hard as I could off a cliff.

I have zero knowledge on how to make or edit movies with music.  Here is example of unedited footage I recorded at 720P @ 30 frames per second but I think I uploaded to u tube at 1080P, I cannot remember.  Please watch the video in 1080P for a more realistic experience.  If you're not sure how to change your settings on u tube, click on the Gear icon, hover on bottom row, click, choose the top option 1080P or 720P.  Footage was shot through glass or plexiglass of tram car

Let me know what yous think good or bad. 

And if any of yous can point me in the right direction to educational videos for dipshits on how to edit and create movies with music, I'd appreciate it.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:23:49 am by big oil »

Offline sandrot

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 08:05:27 am »
Thanks Guys

Exactly what i was after, much appreciated.
KTM 950 Adventure S

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 08:21:36 am »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=238214.msg4285000#new

Not sure what you are after but here is a cheapish one for sale with lots of extras
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:22:09 am by Grunder »
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
GoPro Hero Session mounted to various places on the bike. The tiny form factor is extremely versatile, waterproof without a case, very fast to start up and record, typical GoPro image quality is a little better than the TomTom but not by much. Battery life is predictably short though.
Much of what is state above by iamgigglz.

Also have a Session.  I specifically chose this for its small size and low profile mounting options.  You also have more compatibility when it comes to mounting brackets as all gopro's uses the same designs.

Being waterproof without a case is definitely a plus. 

I added a remote control which I mount on my handlebars for easy recording.  It also displays information w.r.t. recording time, space left, mode, etc.

The cons would be that it does not have swap-able batteries which means that you will have to plug in the camera to charge each time it runs out of juice.  There is also no option for connecting external microphones.  The built in microphone becomes useless as soon as you go faster than about 60km/h.  Obviously the session also does not have a screen (as apposed to the later normal gopro's) so you have to use your phone if you want to line up the camera, or for reviewing footage.

Like I also said, the biggest 'pro' is it's size.
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline Ryderod

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 11:52:31 am »
I used a Drift HD 1080P for a number of years, liked the battery life, slim profile and rotating lens, (Still have them). but the lack of features such as GPS, wi-fi, stabilisation, etc, led to me using them less and less. They also do not have anything close to the vast mounting array that gopro has although there is a drift - gopro adapter.
I moved onto the hero 5, hero 6 and hero 7 as the features, specifically the stabilisation & low light functionality have improved.
Battery life is not too much of an issue for me as I have accumulated a few extras. So if I were to recommend a single camera it would have to be the hero 7 black, I think it is one of the most advanced action cams available to date.
Dirty by nature!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 12:38:08 pm »
bought a secondhand GoPro Hero 3 black. Video quality is great, battery life is not so great but I carry 5 batteries so quick swop when needed. With 5 Batteries I can do a ton of filming and they're quick to charge in the evening. I often have two charging on the bike while I ride. I also have the bluetooth remote mounted on my handlebar while I ride which makes switching on/off and modes easy while riding.

I am a big proponent of buying things like this secondhand purely because I'm a stingy bastard (read poor  :peepwall: )
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:38:53 pm by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 01:32:08 pm »
bought a secondhand GoPro Hero 3 black. Video quality is great, battery life is not so great but I carry 5 batteries so quick swop when needed. With 5 Batteries I can do a ton of filming and they're quick to charge in the evening. I often have two charging on the bike while I ride. I also have the bluetooth remote mounted on my handlebar while I ride which makes switching on/off and modes easy while riding.

I am a big proponent of buying things like this secondhand purely because I'm a stingy bastard (read poor  :peepwall: )

I'm so stingy, I still haven't bought one  :pot:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:32:40 pm by Grunder »
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 01:42:11 pm »
I bought a cheap action cam.. I re-gifted it on eventually because I ended up with MB then GB then TB of data in digital files.

Unless you are one of those guys who loves to pull down hours and hours of footage, spend hours and hours editing it and repackage it into a format you will refer to then you will be like me and just end up throwing it into digital dustbins.. just live in the moment and use your cell to take pics of those moments that make an impact on you.

Just something tothink about it before spending bucks on one.

My 2c
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0