Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Action Cameras, what are you using and why?  (Read 1014 times)

Online Kortbroek

Re: Action Cameras, what are you using and why?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 02:04:30 pm »
I bought a cheap action cam.. I re-gifted it on eventually because I ended up with MB then GB then TB of data in digital files.

Unless you are one of those guys who loves to pull down hours and hours of footage, spend hours and hours editing it and repackage it into a format you will refer to then you will be like me and just end up throwing it into digital dustbins.. just live in the moment and use your cell to take pics of those moments that make an impact on you.

Just something tothink about it before spending bucks on one.

My 2c

Something I learnt from following Lyndon Poskitt on Races to Places, only film short clips 20sec - 1min at a time and try and films different type of things instead of filming 3h of straightline dirt road. I'm still not getting it quite right, takes a lot of practice but often instead of 5h of footage to go through you now have like 1h. That is more than enough for a 5-10min clip if you get decent shots.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 02:17:44 pm »
I hear you .. its a matter of just getting the format right

The second thing I realised is that life is too short to be switching a camera on and off every 20 - 30 seconds while riding  :laughing4:

But to be serious you make a valid point, if you get it right then it can be good fun.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 03:32:30 pm »
I hear you .. its a matter of just getting the format right

The second thing I realised is that life is too short to be switching a camera on and off every 20 - 30 seconds while riding  :laughing4:

But to be serious you make a valid point, if you get it right then it can be good fun.

Ja I have that problem as well, especially when you're in the fun bits. Then I often forget about the camera  :lol8:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline boere

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 04:07:21 pm »
Are you getting some action now?
Ek se liewer niks :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall:

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 05:14:58 pm »

Something I learnt from following Lyndon Poskitt on Races to Places, only film short clips 20sec - 1min at a time and try and films different type of things instead of filming 3h of straightline dirt road.

See this is the practical advice that actually works.
The Sony may be the best Camera out there but it is probably the least practical.

Get a Session 5 with one touch recording setup and film short clips .

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 06:22:08 pm »
One of the downsides of my Sony experience = I keep mine jacketed to preserve the Zeiss lens, so I have to remove it to change batteries and settings I can't change from my iPhone.

GoPro has no 1/4 - 20 mount hole, Sony does for endless mounting options at the twist of hand.

I can't opine on Sony's editing and sharing software.

When I'm out riding the last thing I want to have to deal with is an AC with issues and firmware glitches. 

I've waited for years to buy an AC based on so many people around me saying GoPro cams have such low shelf internal components, lenses, poor factory service after the sale, glitches.

Reliable products, for me, are by far the most practical. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:34:56 pm by big oil »
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 09:46:25 am »
Yip, keeping the fragile Sony out of action in an action cam role makes perfect sense.

The 5 Session and 7 Black are seriously tough and can take a beating; 100% reliability so far. Add glass screen and lens protectors, done.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 08:19:20 am »
Have a Hero3 white. been using it for a number of years, on both Mountainbike and Moto (however mainly for traffic.)
The Wifi module in the camera stopped working, the blue light flashes, but doe not connect to anything.
Other than that it has been pretty good.

I dislke the overexposed video, this has to be corrected in editing.

Would love a gimbal for some of the MTB stuff, as sometimes it becomes very shaky on the more hairy stuff (chest mounted)

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 08:46:13 am »
Besides the helmet may I ask where else do you guys place your cameras?
I do all my own stunts.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 01:54:38 pm »

I tried mounting it on my GS' sidecovers once - although the view past the front wheel was cool, it was too mechanically connected to the engine, so as you accelerate the footage sometimes looked like it was shot through a blob of jiggling jelly

So  I've only ever had in on the helmet
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 03:39:37 pm »

I tried mounting it on my GS' sidecovers once - although the view past the front wheel was cool, it was too mechanically connected to the engine, so as you accelerate the footage sometimes looked like it was shot through a blob of jiggling jelly

So  I've only ever had in on the helmet

Ja I also have only ever had it on the helmet. Seems to be the only place that makes sense to me.
I do all my own stunts.

Offline werner.trautman

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 09:19:53 pm »
GoPro 4 and 6 has worked well for me, but get to know your equipment as you donít want to fiddle around while driving or worrying that it is recording or not. Get a GoPro remote and mount it on your handlebar. You can then start and stop recordings as required. It is useless to record the whole R355 for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 08:47:53 am »

I have mounted mine on the front crashbars with the OEM plastic handlebar mount. Works ok, but very limited field of view. Good for a "second camera" shot, if you want to bother with different angles in post production.

Have a helmet mount, but I dont like how it sticks up looking like one of the teletubbies.

Would love to have it in front of "mouth" area of the helmet, but the uvex has a pointy bit there, making mounting impossible. Tried the side, but not enough surface area to stick the mount properly.

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 12:25:36 pm »
So to all the guys using GoPro's. What editing applications do you use? Are they user-friendly? And what would you say is the best thing about the program you use?

:thumleft:

Online Kortbroek

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 12:28:50 pm »
I use DaVinci Resolve. It is a professional suite but is free for a home user with some limitations (not an issue). Steepish learning curve and not that intuitive but with some practice easy to use, very powerful.

For down and dirty/quick and easy I revert to the old Windows Movie Maker.

The following users thanked this post: MiniDan

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 01:32:09 pm »
I use DaVinci Resolve. It is a professional suite but is free for a home user with some limitations (not an issue). Steepish learning curve and not that intuitive but with some practice easy to use, very powerful.

For down and dirty/quick and easy I revert to the old Windows Movie Maker.

I use Davinci resolve as well (I use it for green screen and other things as well, but you don't have to scratch in the hectic features if you don't want to)

On the main edit screen you have a timeline where you can drop your media, cut/shorten and shuffle it and then drop an MP3 or other audio in there as well and layer them all.
Adding overlaying text is also easy to do there

Five shortcuts that you need to know:
'A' change your cursor into 'normal mode' (if you click something it selects it and you can drag it around)
'B' change your cursor into 'blade mode' (where you click it 'cuts')
'N' change between 'snap to grid' on and off
'Backspace' removes a media clip portion without moving everything up by that amount (leaving a gap)
'Delete' removes a media clip portion while moving everything coming after that up without leaving a gap

Go and look at some Youtube videos and tutorials about it.

Davinci Resolve comes with features (even in die free version) that people use for professional editing (it has been the standard for colour grading for a long time) - people are leaving Adobe Premier Pro for Resolve (again - even the free version)

It can be moerse daunting, but if you stay in the media, edit and deliver workspaces you should be fine and should be able to figure it out using online resources.
Most people don't need to do colour grading/correcting for normal 'diy check out my trip' types of videos.

Having said that - most of the action cams comes with very easy to use apps that will go a long way in making sense of your footage.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:33:02 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »
So to all the guys using GoPro's. What editing applications do you use? Are they user-friendly? And what would you say is the best thing about the program you use?

:thumleft:

Gopro Quick is really nice for a short "what I saw" video.
Gopro Studio is quite user friendly, but it seems to need a whole lot of processing power.

I have been lately transferring clips to my phone and use the Imovie app. very simple to use.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 11:16:06 pm »
Late as usual seeing this thread.

I do 99% handheld video while riding with and old Sony actioncam.  It is unfortunately now giving me issues with slow startup and randomly switching off.

As said above I do short clips only when the scenery is worth videoing.  This reduce the editing time dramatically although it is still a tedious job.  A 10min video will take ma about an hour to edit.  I am still learning DaVinci which is also an issue.

I did evaluate Filmora 9 and might spend the R900.00 as it is easier (less features) and are less CPU intensive.

I did try Gimbals, helmet and bike mounts etc etc without real success.  The only downside with the handheld is the fact that I will not risk my life for a technical shot.  Are currently experimenting with other mounting options to cater for the technical riding shots but are not impressed with ANY bike mount due to vibration.  Will need to look at some damper.

Out of desperation I bought an Olympus TG Tracker but are not that happy with the image compared to the old Sony.  see here top for video and bottom of page for cameras.  Some pages earlier is also some info on the Gimbal, Drone sound editing etc etc.

For my trip to Botswana next week I will also use the little Tello drone.  got it more than 4 months and never took it on a trip as I know I will not use it.  My helmet mount is pre set, I just clip the Sony in and that's it.

All I now is:
1: it is k@k expensive to get what really work for you.
2. It is moerse time consuming both in Video and edit phases.  Learning curve is steep no matter what app you use.
3. You will NEVER get something that work 100%.
4. Getting your 'own' look and feel of the final product is massively intense.  I do not want to VLOG, I want to show the viewer the country and the adventure.
6.  I now ride with 3 cameras (two action cams and a Canon with zoom etc for walking scenes etc) , two tripods, battery chargers various brackets. and the little drone on this trip to be tested.

And I still need to learn a LOT before I will be happy.

Lastly, be careful about background music.  If it is illegal to use commercial songs.  I decided to use the same three 'open source' tracks for all my video's.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

The following users thanked this post: big oil