Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: This is why Ganjora is down....  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Dolf

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Re: This is why Ganjora is down....
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 07:15:25 am »
This Sunday coming from the South I decided to go through town...stupid I know  :biggrin:

Jhb CBD is really like another planet on weekends. It is chaos.

Not really clear from the camera but I saw him in the right lane with indicator on so I checked my blind spot to go into the left lane and as I looked up he was in the left lane.

https://youtu.be/4Ek_6YYgT8Y

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 08:21:23 am »
Nah, as usual it was an inappropriate speed for the prevailing circumstances.
No matter the speed and no matter the circumstances, I was unable to stop in time.
The accident was thus actually my own fault.
Then again, all accidents are the bikers fault - we all know the risk and still choose to ride.
Thank god I have some savings, proper medical aid and proper insurance. Without those 3, this could be a very different story.

Honest post!  In my case, all bar one of my accidents could have been avoided by me either going slower or actually looking where I was going. The one case, where a driver simply pulled out in front of me

because he is, as a European, used to look the other way for traffic, taught me instantaneously to also consider all cars stationary at junctions as about to pull away.

Quite frankly, al the videos shown is avoidable cases, even though the drivers drive like idiots.

Offline Dustbiter

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 08:45:33 am »
This is not only a South African phenomenon – unfortunately all the mentioned “misdemeanours’ happen in most other countries.

Living in northern Italy – first just south of Milan and now in South Tirol one sees people not stopping at stop streets and driving through red traffic lights. In Milan I used to sh*t myself every time I came to an intersection, as I knew people would not stop at their stop sign or come through a red traffic light and just about take one out if one was not anticipating it. (Most cars in Italy have dents and scrape marks).

Texting while driving happens here, in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Denmark – all countries I have driven through, and results in some horrific collisions especially on the expressways (Autobahns and Autostradas). These then cause huge traffic jams stretching for 15 – 20kms, and take hours to free-up. Often, especially in Italy, the drivers are so inconsiderate that they do not allow the rescue vehicles to pass through as they block the emergency lanes, and they never form a rescue alley in a traffic jam.

Texting even occurs on bicycles and by pedestrians while crossing busy roads!

The Brenner Pass from Austria to Italy was closed for hours on Friday as a motorcyclist seems to have been distracted and drove into the back of a slow moving car at the end of a traffic jam. He travelled through the back window and front windscreen of the car and lost his life.

There are fines (and points removed) for all of these offences, but unfortunately, like in SA, they are not well policed and fined.

So one just has to try to drive defensively and try to avoid the road rage that is also universal, but luckily there are fewer firearms in most of Europe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:37:42 am by Dustbiter »
Bikeless at present
Previously: 1973 Honda SS50 - Port Elizabeth
                  1979 BMW R65 - East London
                   1996 BMW R1100GS - Grahamstown

The following users thanked this post: Maverick, roxenz, lpj, Fudge

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 12:50:52 pm »
This is not only a South African phenomenon – unfortunately all the mentioned “misdemeanours’ happen in most other countries.

Living in northern Italy – first just south of Milan and now in South Tirol one sees people not stopping at stop streets and driving through red traffic lights. In Milan I used to sh*t myself every time I came to an intersection, as I knew people would not stop at their stop sign or come through a red traffic light and just about take one out if one was not anticipating it. (Most cars in Italy have dents and scrape marks).

Texting while driving happens here, in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Denmark – all countries I have driven through, and results in some horrific collisions especially on the expressways (Autobahns and Autostradas). These then cause huge traffic jams stretching for 15 – 20kms, and take hours to free-up. Often, especially in Italy, the drivers are so inconsiderate that they do not allow the rescue vehicles to pass through as they block the emergency lanes, and they never form a rescue alley in a traffic jam.

Texting even occurs on bicycles and by pedestrians while crossing busy roads!

The Brenner Pass from Austria to Italy was closed for hours on Friday as a motorcyclist seems to have been distracted and drove into the back of a slow moving car at the end of a traffic jam. He travelled through the back window and front windscreen of the car and lost his life.

There are fines (and points removed) for all of these offences, but unfortunately, like in SA, they are not well policed and fined.

So one just has to try to drive defensively and try to avoid the road rage that is also universal, but luckily there are fewer firearms in most of Europe.

Years of commuting through central London everyday taught me not to even waste my time wearing hi-viz or press the horn button never mind getting upset or angry. You just adjust your riding and assume everyone is out to get you and anticipate random surprises out of nowhere  :thumleft: I lost count how many times I got hold up filtering on embankment next to the Thames only to get to a point where it is a girl on her Vespa texting in a nice little summer dress and high heels whilst filtering  :deal:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 05:53:06 pm »
Turns out this is a survivors forum. Hope you are up again soon G.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 06:51:31 pm »
I also modified my spots to flash fast when I press my horn, but it's actually a waste, seeing I hardly ever use my horn

I've learn not to get upset at other people on the road - it's pointless and distracts you from taking evasive action

One thing that I've learnt, is to be especially cautious in certain areas.... Pretoria city centre being one of them

I often shudder when I see youngsters driving in traffic - speeding along without the experience to consider what could happen

Offline BuRP

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2019, 01:13:32 pm »
Sit eerder n signal jammer op die bike...............

Luvverly idea!
Anyone knows if they exist, whether they actually work and if they're affordable for not-FBI people?
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline BuRP

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2019, 01:20:39 pm »
In the end its about enforcement

Absolutely true that!  :thumleft:
Just come back from Europe and Russia, and especially in the latter country drivers behave, even give bikers space hence a chance.
But, the Police are not to be messed with, and cameras galore means perpetrators will learn the hard way of they do not follows the rules of the road - which are there for all, not only bikes or taxis or whatnot.
Enforce the rules and people will behave, quite simple really!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 06:30:22 am »
We have a new winner of "Dick of the day"

https://youtu.be/xrBR2COsarU
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 05:46:21 pm »
Everyday on my commute I see these C@nts who have no regard for law and order or obeying the rules of the road. This is why 1000's innocent people die every year.

https://youtu.be/eTzYArUqxpk

https://youtu.be/mYAZtAE1LLA

We have a new winner of "Dick of the day"

https://youtu.be/xrBR2COsarU

To be frank, neither video provided examples of anything that would remotely cause me concern considering how people drive here in metro areas.

In fact, flip the wrong person off here and it could be very bad for the flipper, just saying.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:47:40 pm by big oil »