Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2006  (Read 351 times)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Roof of Africa 2006
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:48:18 am »
I keep coming back to this
It was no big deal as it was only the Bronze class but in 2006 I won the Bronze and had an awesome Glass trophy which meant a lot to me.....5 years back our entire house was burnt to the ground hence my trophy gone
I began an email communication with Peter Luck explaining my situation and I attached the results list as proof, the then committee (June 2015) agreed to investigate and assist but I`ve got no further :'(
I realize that this is no biggie in the scheme of things but it was an achievement for me at the time and now at 52 i`m not going to o again :lol8:
All i want is to try and get a trophy that I can keep as a momento and am quite happy to pay for it...my question here is who can I speak to??
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
Re: Roof of Africa 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:18:06 pm »
Back then it was called Novice and not Bronze, the route was a lot less technical but a lot further and I recall having no skin left on my arse :ricky:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline exkdx

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:12:40 pm »
Hey....I see Joey Evans also raced with you :biggrin:
I also raced the 2006 Roof :ricky: And we were fast :ricky:
Do you have results of the other classes?

I can't think of anybody else but Peter Luck that will be able to help you..
KDX200 gone
YZ 250 gone
Husky TE610 one left
KTM 500 XC-W latest addition

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:46:38 am »
I only see now we were amongst celebrities :lol8:
Nope these are the only results i have, which class were you riding?
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline Swazi Phil

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 08:13:56 am »
Do you have a Picture of the Trophy? Ngwenya Glass In Swaziland could most likely make it.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels moves the soul.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 09:19:58 am »
Do you have a Picture of the Trophy? Ngwenya Glass In Swaziland could most likely make it.
I dont unfortunately but it was quite big(about 20-25 cm long) and made of glass in a cylindrical shape
Amazingly in those days there were over 450 competitors, quad bikes also had a class, and somehow the infrastructure coped quite ok....contrary to what we were told a few years ago and the supposed reasoning for the Bronze qualifier?
https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bikes/record-numbers-tackle-roof-of-africa-860189
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 05:54:14 pm »
edgy is being modest because he had a string of Roof medals and memorabilia. As his neighbor who only lost his outbuildings and 6 bikes but not his entire home and contents I can attest to the feelings of loss of certain possessions. I feel sure that there must be other competitors with the same glass trophies and one can be copied. MSA can verify the result so no issue there. i would try and pursue it again with Peter Luck.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 06:12:52 pm »
Try the guys on the Moto101 forum, lots of old competitors there.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 06:16:38 pm »
Try the guys on the Moto101 forum, lots of old competitors there.

Joh! does that site still exist ? I gave up on it ages ago. Seemed to be full of weekend warrior tossers with small ego or penis problems.  :imaposer:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
Yip, some of the 'top-talkers' can be tedious but there's some rich history within its quieter members.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 06:33:06 pm »
Yip, some of the 'top-talkers' can be tedious but there's some rich history within its quieter members.

good to know  :thumleft:

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 08:56:38 am »
My previous communication was with Peter Luck but never able to get an answer
I like the idea of somebody else from that era who may possibly have a trophy or know someone who has??   
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:58:01 am »
My previous communication was with Peter Luck but never able to get an answer
I like the idea of somebody else from that era who may possibly have a trophy or know someone who has??

Het Peter Luck al ooit iemand gehelp.... :pot:
hak vrystaat

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 07:14:42 pm »
So here's a weird one. I know of someone who in 2006 was given the first place Senior trophy at prize giving, only for Peter luck to phone a few days later and say 'sorry we cocked up (he left out the 'Yet again' part') and you did't actually win, can we have the trophy back please'. True story.
I also rode in 2006....not a good year, spent a night in the mountains.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 07:47:47 pm »
So here's a weird one. I know of someone who in 2006 was given the first place Senior trophy at prize giving, only for Peter luck to phone a few days later and say 'sorry we cocked up (he left out the 'Yet again' part') and you did't actually win, can we have the trophy back please'. True story.

:BLACK2:

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 10:39:30 am »
Believe it or not that was me who originally was given the 2nd place trophy but was told after times etc checked that I had in fact won.....so that someone you know actually has my trophy :laughing4:
What are the chances he can photograph it for me please??
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 06:41:56 pm »
Believe it or not that was me who originally was given the 2nd place trophy but was told after times etc checked that I had in fact won.....so that someone you know actually has my trophy :laughing4:
What are the chances he can photograph it for me please??
He and I both rode Seniors class that year, so he didn't get 'your' trophy (have checked through all your names in Novice class that you attached and neither of us are there); but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened at prize giving in the Novice class as well. It wasn't a year for the organisers to be proud of. Do you remember the chaos at the start of the 2nd day? They had given quite a few people numbers starting with '0', which 'the computer' didn't recognise (or so I was told), so everyone with a '0' in front of their real number were left on the start line, even though they had good time trial times the day before. When guys realised there was a cock up everyone just started leaving in droves, but by then it was too late, the damage had been done. I remember getting to Staasens Staircase and there must have been over a kilometre long bottle neck, and we were on the back foot from then onwards. Ous were super miffed to say the least, cos all the slower riders had been let off first.
I'm not in contact with the chap I'm referring to, he emigrated quite a while ago. What happened in his case was the marshal at Ramabanta insisted that he go a certain way (remember this was before we rode GPS tracks) which sent him round Black Nek (which was a National class only loop) instead of the the leg home. He went round, only to get back to Rama after that loop and the pit crew had already left for the finish, so no fuel or refreshment. He hustled a bit of fuel and started the home leg, only to arrive after dark, and a tad pissed off to say the least. There was such confusion around what class he had ridden that they gave him the win, only to ask for it back later. I stand to be corrected but I think he told them that the Mayor of Maseru had given him the trophy (which was true) and when the mayor phoned he would give it back. I slept in the mountains with I think Wade Steele Smith and 2 other guys, and another mate of mine (who was in your class) was hit by a bakkie where the course joined a road; went though the windscreen (bike was totalled) and then assaulted by the locals because he didn't have enough money to pay them for the bakkie repairs. Luckily when a few riders arrived things calmed down a bit, but he had to leave his bike there and hitch a ride home. Lesotho. Always full of surprises....
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's