Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So Who Is Going To Be The First To Compare The 1200XE To The Super Enduro?  (Read 853 times)

Offline Rossdog

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Has it been done yet? I'd love to see a shoot-out between a KTM Super Enduro and the new Triumph 1200 Scrambler XE. By all account the 1200XE sounds as though it's the most off-road capable big bore adventure/DS bike at the moment.

A shoot-out with an HP2 would also be interesting.
'69 Model.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Stats shows Triumph having 30mm more fork travel than the SE......

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:47:03 am by LouisXander »
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
I dont think the 1200xe is either advertised as something it is not,  or wrongly raved about by journos.
Take all current selling models, and tell us what makes the XE look overrated.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
I dont think that the Truimph was ever intended to compete with the Ktm or Bmw?
Triumph is making bikes in their own class, like the Rocket, but add small ass kickers to the models that makes them nice.
Looks is retro, and their kicking ass with that

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

The following users thanked this post: michnus

Offline Noneking

You sure? Both 250mm?
HP2 270mm

Travel obviously not everything
the 250mm WP on the KTM is much better than the 270mm Marzocchi (??) on the BMW
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:56:16 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Noneking

Has it been done yet? I'd love to see a shoot-out between a KTM Super Enduro and the new Triumph 1200 Scrambler XE. By all account the 1200XE sounds as though it's the most off-road capable big bore adventure/DS bike at the moment.

A shoot-out with an HP2 would also be interesting.

Would be very interesting. On paper, the HP2 has the most HP, Torque and Suspension travel between the three, but in practice we know that the SE is probably more capable

This guy not too impressed with suspension

But Spurg from Revzilla was impressed

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2019-triumph-scrambler-1200-xc-and-xe-first-ride-motorcycle-review?utm_source=youtube.com&utm_medium=comment&utm_campaign=Triumph_Scrambler_1200_Spurgs_Naked_Adventure&utm_term=R_t6fUrTBEQ

@RidingWithTom

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:20:50 pm by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Jeez I would never really think to compare those 2.

Iíve been riding with a couple guys on the 1200 Scrambler, and while itís very capable in the dirt I wouldnít really call it an adventure bike in the traditional sense. Triumph donít exactky try to spare weight on these things, and for a 1200 the power output is a bit meh.
Gas tank is pretty damn small and luggage options limited because of the exhaust.

As a really good looking bike that can both serve as Cafe Racer coffee shop poser, city run around and off-road toy itís great, but I think ultimately the SE would always be a superior machine.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline charlatan

• Bike: AJS (all models)
I've done very little real off-road on 2 wheels, mostly just gravel roads, so I can't give you an opinion there. However, I had a test ride on the scrambler early June in damp conditions, and I can tell you the torque is addictive. Around the same time I also took a spin around the block on a friend's 1190 adventure R, and to me the triumph felt more lively at low speed. It does start to feel like it runs out of steam over 140, but for me, that's maybe a good thing. Had it up to 160 and there was plenty left...but I suspect it would not comfortably keep up with proper big adventure bikes on long high speed trips.

So I guess it depends what you want to use it for. I'll happily cruise at 140, and I don't think I'll need more than a 60l dry pack and one soft side pannier can carry

Stock in SA is a big problem though... I paid the deposit early June, and mine's only arriving in cape town by the end of next week.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
The fact that I've never ridden either machine and have no idea how they compare has absolutely no bearing on my opinion.

I'm Triumph through and through, more biased if that's possible, than the Yamaha man. I've had an aching heart ever since I first read of the 1200XE and saw the pics, because I know I'll never own one.  :drif:  :'(

Until I saw the vids.  :-\ and saw the rider's thumb typing away furiously on the control buttons and heard him going on about all the settings and modes.
Now my heart is no longer aching because I don't want one any more.  :peepwall:

Offline Rossdog

I had a demo Super Enduro for a weekend back in 07, and it was addictive. I would never have thought to compare the two, but most journo's seem impressed, and one came in the top ten in the Baja 500 (or at least I think it was the Baja 500).
'69 Model.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
The fact that I've never ridden either machine and have no idea how they compare has absolutely no bearing on my opinion.

I'm Triumph through and through, more biased if that's possible, than the Yamaha man. I've had an aching heart ever since I first read of the 1200XE and saw the pics, because I know I'll never own one.  :drif:  :'(

Until I saw the vids.  :-\ and saw the rider's thumb typing away furiously on the control buttons and heard him going on about all the settings and modes.
Now my heart is no longer aching because I don't want one any more.  :peepwall:

Where's the days when my Suzuki GT750 came out with a digital gear position indicator, and the testers laughed it off as "idiot lights". :imaposer: They would die today!

The following users thanked this post: michnus

Offline Oros

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Triple Black is the new Orange
Kawasaki KDX 175, Honda CR 250R, Yamaha XT 250, Honda CRF 450, Honda XR 600, Honda XRV 750, Honda Varadero 1000, KTM 950S, KTM 950 Super Enduro, KTM 990R, BMW GS 1200

Offline monkeyboy

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
Would love to try one: agreed that it doesn't look like it's directly taking aim at the 950SE or HP2 crown, but I do like that it has a 21" front wheel. Taking on the HP2 would work out as well as the kid's plan in Deadpool 2, of shanking the meanest guy in prison.
Whether or not it makes that huge a difference in a large, heavy, powerful bike, it is a statement of intent.
When summer comes, I will take a Triumph to Atlantis. If all goes well, I'll take it out, too.
"Wait, we need a plan of attack!"
"I have a plan. Attack."

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
Would love to try one: agreed that it doesn't look like it's directly taking aim at the 950SE or HP2 crown, but I do like that it has a 21" front wheel. Taking on the HP2 would work out as well as the kid's plan in Deadpool 2, of shanking the meanest guy in prison.
Whether or not it makes that huge a difference in a large, heavy, powerful bike, it is a statement of intent.
When summer comes, I will take a Triumph to Atlantis. If all goes well, I'll take it out, too.
I have to go along that day.  I am still no 1 in your fan club, even if all the stunts are performed with 'my' HP...

Happy 1000 post day!!

"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline monkeyboy

I have to go along that day.  I am still no 1 in your fan club, even if all the stunts are performed with 'my' HP...

Happy 1000 post day!!
Aaaw, I didn't even notice! thank you. Guess I'm almost a Monkeyman now.
"I have a plan. Attack."

Offline KaTooMatt

You sure? Both 250mm?
HP2 270mm

Danie could have told you that without coming within 1500km's of the bikes.  :ricky:
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline monkeyboy

Sadly, I am unable to comment on the stock HP2 suspension. Oh well :pot:
"I have a plan. Attack."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog

You sure? Both 250mm?
HP2 270mm

Danie could have told you that without coming within 1500km's of the bikes.  :ricky:

All the SE's I know of is still on standard suspension. :ricky: :ricky: because that is so good.

Offline charlatan

• Bike: AJS (all models)
https://youtu.be/W4OEAx1Opwk

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk