So where do the WildDogs gather in PE??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSH

Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Its been 6 long years since the Baviaans bash in '13 when i took my son with on the trusty Tractor ('13 KLR650 "Adventure") to Doornkloof and got to know the 'Dogz life. (I never did meet Watty, but he must have been a wonderful chap to have been commemorated there by so many!!!)
But life after death (sale) of the Tractor in this context led to other priorities for a while and then the re-emergence of a viable travel toy in the form of a CRF250L "Repsol Adventure"  ;)
This, while kitted in every way remained too small of course for any viable two-up gravel travel, or even solo trips involving any real asphalt distance- who wants that anyway!?- but it could definitely hold its own for technical mountain areas in a conservative but still fun sort of way.
In the meantime a number of trips solo or with my wife or teen son have been enjoyed into some remote area occasionally with other riders too.
But I reckon its time to find some more like minded okes who occasionally surrender to the wanderlust and pack their tent and head out mostly including the Baviaans, Wood Cape or Steytlerville routes so close to our doorstep - I'm in PE.

Anyway- the opportunity finally came for a swop for a near perfect Africa Twin RD07- something I've always wanted, come close to, but never could lay my hands on a good example- at the same time as i could afford one.
In the past, I've had every kind of old big and small road bike- along the lines of TS50, MTX125, AR80, CB750K, CB900F, GSX1100, Z750, CX500 Silverwing, CB400N, CB400 Four, Z1300 Lawson Replica, GS850G, CB400N, GSXR750 PreSling, DRZ400E, F650GS, Xl650V Transalp, BMW K75, VTR1000, KLR650, CRF250L - maybe more, I can't quite recall...

But finally- I think the perfect bike's been achieved- able to travel two up or solo in comfort- long distance anywhere, reliable as the day is long, and built to Honda quality! -with sufficiently low mileage (44K).
With all the necessary HD tubes, new Mitas E07, 12V plug, replaced steering head bearings, and now for the first time for me- GPS fitted, I must target possibly Lesotho, Wild Coast or West Coast for later this year. I did manage to get it to past the radio tower to Patensie this week on an afternoon off, and its definitely got the right kind of go for a long and almost long trip!

So- my question is - who else in their right mind does the same type of travel when possible- not at breakneck speeds, but neither is "beyond careful" to the point of missing all the fun, and where do these okes gather in the PE region?
I partied in the bike club scene in my teens and early twenties, but that was in the late '90's- so I'm not keen to look up the local "hooligan chapter" lest I be checked out first to confirm exactly how many donuts the AT can do one one tyre- or how long it takes to get the header pipes ready to light a smoke :snorting: :dousing:

Anyway- let me know if anyone reading this feels like a dayjol ride somewhere soon, or already has one planned from time to time. My third son is due in two weeks' time too- so even though i'd like to make it more regularly, it may only be very occasionally for the rest of this year and next so long!

Attachments

• CRF1 Small.jpg
    CRF1 Small.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 337
  • AT1 Small.jpg
    AT1 Small.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 314
  • AT2 Small.jpg
    AT2 Small.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 333
  • AT3 Small.jpg
    AT3 Small.jpg