Darkest Africa (Minxy's Video Added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
Did a very enjoyable ride this weekend with Bullet, Dawie Roos, Minxy, HSK and my brother, Epilot aka Evan.

All of them travelled down from Gauteng, trailering their bikes. Evan stayed with me in Hilton while the others all checked into Zingela Lodge on the Tugela River. The plan was to meet them in Middelrus at 08h00 on Saturday morning and then spend the rest of the day riding in the area. Having to get to Middelrus from Hilton by 08h00 meant an early start, so Evan and I set off at 06h30, riding one of my favourite routes tthrough Karkloof to Muden where I needed fuel and then on to Middelrus, Evan on his 690 and me on my 520.

We arrived at Middelrus a bit late to find the others already there, all of them on KTM 500's, Dawie's being brand new for this ride.

First stop was a quick visit to Mooi River / Zulu Falls, then a short dirt road ride to where the first of the rocky tracks started.

We had just got onto the trail when Evan let us know that his 690's fan wasn't coming on and the bikes temperature was edging into the red. There was no way Evan could continue the trip without a fan, there was going to be plenty slow technical riding coming up. Luckily Dawie knew what to do and by-passed the thermostat switch, which meant that the fan ran all the time, but that was great and the 690 was sorted for the rest of the trip. In fact none of the bikes gave any issues at all on the ride after that.

Some pics:

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 629
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 629
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 625
  • 068.jpg