Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR 400 ADV? Lady? Input please  (Read 557 times)

Offline brains

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
DR 400 ADV? Lady? Input please
« on: August 05, 2019, 05:41:20 pm »
Hi Guys

Input please. My thoughts are to build and lower a 400 for my lady, it seems to tick all the boxes. Long distance Adventure riding. Shes currently on a GS650 but we need a bike that can do more technical.

After an hour of google I have got a feel of what the bike will need...Tank, seat, screen changed from OEM

Then the norm like luggage racks, aux power, hand guards, rad protection, bars, heated grips ect

I have one concern - I dont see many Yellow bikes on the roads or in the dirt these days. Spares and availability?

Any help/contacts much appreciated

After years of smelling 2 stroke...I may be converted

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Re: DR 400 ADV? Lady? Input please
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 06:08:18 pm »
SA's market for those bikes were small. Anyone on here will tell you it was a brilliant bike, me included. Tank is just scarce to source, rest is fine.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 06:18:14 pm »
Great bikes indeed :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:24:54 pm »
Do you already have the DR 400? ???

If not I would recommend a DR 650 SE, '96 or newer. ;)
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline brains

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:57:53 am »
Thanks guys, No I don't have the 400 yet, still looking, the "E" seems pretty rare.

The 600/650 was an option but I want something light for her.

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:27:32 am »
Chat to @Ri. Shes a short girl, only riding DR650's, started not too long ago riding if my memory serves me correctly.

The mildness of the 650 can be an advantage over the hooliganess of the 400E......

The following users thanked this post: brains

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 09:55:10 am »
Thanks guys, No I don't have the 400 yet, still looking, the "E" seems pretty rare.

The 600/650 was an option but I want something light for her.
If you say "E" then you are referring to the DRZ 400 E, and not an old DR 400, if there ever was a 400? :o

How tall/short is your lady?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:55:55 am by chopperpilot »

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 10:47:02 am »
DRZ400E has a short ratio box, not conducive to dual sport riding.

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 11:30:39 am »
It also depends on the technicalities of the riding you refer to.

Lowering aDRZ 400 negates the advantages of its suspension, I would think. It is taller than a DR 650. Plus it is a highly strung beast and could be more intimidating than a  DR 650, which in real terms is not much heavier.

I would rather lower a DR 650 and tweak the suspension.

Anyway, as mentioned above, @Ri is the one to consult in this respect: she is very short, has several DR 650’s and has learned to ride pretty damn well on them in the last few years, and has lots of adventure touring experience under the belt on them.

Offline brains

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 12:38:36 pm »
She is 1.6m and about 45kg

Thanks for the 650 input guys, from what you saying the 650 is sounding like a better option than the 400 but now I am thinking if I am going to look at the 650 option that I should reconsider the BMW Country X @ 156kg

Weight is the concern here. The 400 @ 145KG sounded good. 650 @ 166kg. Luggage and accessories will add about another 30kg
DR650 tank is steel  :-\ @ only 13L I would probably have to replace it anyway

DRZ400 seat height 935mm
DR650 seat height 885mm
BMW650 seat height 840mm

Our riding in KZN is fairly technical but I also have to think about long overland trips like South West Africa ect

All input much appreciated

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 01:15:57 pm »
Keep the GS for the less technical long distance rides, and acquire a lighter and smaller bike for the technical rides. ;)

My wife loved her Suzuki DR 200 SE. She is 1.67m in length. :thumleft:

A Honda CRF 230 can also work. Zanie Cilliers rode the Koakoland with us in April. ;)

I believe not all CRFs can be licensed? :o

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:08:09 pm »
@brains, my DR gets excellent consumption and on the standard tank I could mostly get 300ks with careful riding. However I did opt for a bigger tank for those big rides (now get 550ish ks on my Acerbis).

The DRZ tank is small so you’d have to upgrade that, and with the pumper carb you would chow fuel (16k/l ?)

The x-country is a great bike, with a wonderful mill, but has a tiny tank (10 liters...?!!!), and has a 19 inch front wheel, which could be limiting in technical terrain.

Henk’s Suggestion re the DR200 should be taken seriously (with the CRF 230), but if you go that route you should also consider the Yammie TW200, which is probably the most powerful of those 200-ish bikes, producing 18 horses, with the kind of demon torque that invites a bigger front sprocket for easier cruising. Kortgat tannie friend of mine got one recently, and accompanied several of us on DR and KLR 650’s on a moderately technical 2-day trip in mountainous and hilly bush country (all on dirt). Her first ride. We were blown away. She kept up with us on the technical stuff (@ 40-70 Kmh) and found her lines easily with that big takkie at the back, and the small tank was no issue (she got 35ks/l ! Yes.

But coming back to the DR 650 , the point to be re-iterated is that it can be substantially lowered, in which case all your bases would be covered.

Another expert whose opinion you should also canvas is LeCap...

Offline brains

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 06:09:09 pm »
@brains, my DR gets excellent consumption and on the standard tank I could mostly get 300ks with careful riding. However I did opt for a bigger tank for those big rides (now get 550ish ks on my Acerbis).

The DRZ tank is small so you’d have to upgrade that, and with the pumper carb you would chow fuel (16k/l ?)

The x-country is a great bike, with a wonderful mill, but has a tiny tank (10 liters...?!!!), and has a 19 inch front wheel, which could be limiting in technical terrain.

Henk’s Suggestion re the DR200 should be taken seriously (with the CRF 230), but if you go that route you should also consider the Yammie TW200, which is probably the most powerful of those 200-ish bikes, producing 18 horses, with the kind of demon torque that invites a bigger front sprocket for easier cruising. Kortgat tannie friend of mine got one recently, and accompanied several of us on DR and KLR 650’s on a moderately technical 2-day trip in mountainous and hilly bush country (all on dirt). Her first ride. We were blown away. She kept up with us on the technical stuff (@ 40-70 Kmh) and found her lines easily with that big takkie at the back, and the small tank was no issue (she got 35ks/l ! Yes.

But coming back to the DR 650 , the point to be re-iterated is that it can be substantially lowered, in which case all your bases would be covered.

Another expert whose opinion you should also canvas is LeCap...

Many thanks for the input/ideas  :ricky:

Offline brains

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:13 pm »
Is @Ri still a member, I cant find that username  :-[

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 06:44:28 pm »
She absolutely is: just Ri.

Lots of ride reports by her, and in the planning a ride section just days ago.

Offline Ri

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:39 am »
Hi, yes I'm still a member :biggrin:

I'm 1,63m and shrinking, but I'm from healthy Boere stock so not exactly built like a Porche... more like a Jimny ::)

I learnt to ride on the DR650 because research showed it was the lowest, lightest DS bike. Its standard lowering link drops the height about 2cm; shaving the seat drops another 1cm but causes PITA. Suspension soft, engine very durable and dependable. Falls well - most of the brunt is taken by the handlebars because it's a slender bike.

I had the opportunity to ride a BMW310GS recently, and really hated it. It's a high revving engine, and the fairing over the tank stretched me out like a sheep on a spit to reach the handlebars. The weight felt high, whereas the CoG on a lowered DR makes it feel steadier on gravel and makes it easy enough to tip upright in good conditions.

That said, I met a German guy who toured from Switzerland down to Cape Town along west coast of Africa on a lowered DRZ 400. He's not much taller than I am, and had a custom Wilber shock installed at the back. He probably lowered the seat as well and maybe changed the sprockets. , He never had a moment's trouble with the bike, and due to this, he decided to ride back to Switzerland up the African east coast - a round trip of about 14,000km.

I haven't had chance to ride (or even see) an X-Country yet, it sounds to be more powerful but if it's high-revving like the GS, it might sukkel in rougher terrain. The DR is a donkey, a real little workhorse that just carries on, at high or at low speeds. I've idled over rocky terrain in 1st gear with throttle almost closed, and it didn't choke/stall.

I have a TTR230 as well, and I take my hat off to anyone who would go touring on it - hanging onto the throttle the whole time and that engine whine would drive my crazy.

But as I said, I'm at least 15 kgs heavier than your lady, and I was very, *very* determined to ride the DR650. Something else might work better for your lady.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:27:27 am by Ri »

Offline LouisXander

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 07:50:27 am »
@brains, there you have it from the horses mouth, case closed!! :)

Offline Ri

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 08:29:36 am »
@brains, there you have it from the horses Basotho poon's mouth, case closed!! :)

:laughing4:

Fixed it for you :imaposer:

Offline brains

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »
Thanks Ri! Awesome input  :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 10:37:41 pm »
The last DRZ’s were sold in 2010 or there about, they did not sell nearly as many as the DR650 in SA as most people I think saw them more as dirt bikes than dual sports. Its a shame as I had both and by far preferred the DRZ, better handling suspension and power. But I can see why some prefer the easier to live with 650. With some mods they go really well. If you are not after speed also look at the CRF250L
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:16:17 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien