Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Electrical problem 1200 GSA ‘08 model  (Read 238 times)

Offline Jors Troelie

Electrical problem 1200 GSA ‘08 model
« on: August 08, 2019, 07:29:02 am »
No instrument cluster light, nada, dead!

The bike has been standing for a few weeks. Last night I connected up the 0.8A charger. While the charger was connected, I tried to start the engine. An audible clap-sound could be heard from the front (beak area), then all went dead. The green light on the spitlight switch still showed a weak flicker, and I killed the spotlight switch immediately. This morning, the battery was fully charged, but no lights came on when I turned the key.

I suspect a shorted wire on one of the spotlights, will have a closer look on the weekend. My question is if there are fuses or relays in the beak area?

I know of a microswitch in the ignition mechanism that could present this symptom, but I feel it’s rather a relay problem or short.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Electrical problem 1200 GSA ‘08 model
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:57:21 am »
As far as I know, the CanBus system does away with fuses and (possibly) relays completely?

Connect a tester to the battery and check the voltage with the ignition off (should read around 13.8v iirc) and then check when you hit the start button - what is the voltage drop?

Also - check what voltage drop you get after leaving it overnight - it takes very little to kill these batteries - and they dont "drop off" - they workk and then they dont....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:38:41 am »
As far as I know, the CanBus system does away with fuses and (possibly) relays completely?

Connect a tester to the battery and check the voltage with the ignition off (should read around 13.8v iirc) and then check when you hit the start button - what is the voltage drop?

Also - check what voltage drop you get after leaving it overnight - it takes very little to kill these batteries - and they dont "drop off" - they workk and then they dont....

Thanks CT. Do you know if this Cannabis system is prone to failure? I will of course check the battery as you suggested. I will also hook up the 911, but if there's no power it is unlikely to respond. Eish, there goes my long weekend trip.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:39:30 am by Jors Troelie »

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:40:30 am »
There are two fuses under the LHS cover of the bike next to the front fork, but they are for the spotlights only and should not affect anything else.  (Depending on the model they could also be further back under the little triangular side cover.) 

Check that your battery terminals are tight,make good contact and have no corrosion on them.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:07:37 am »
There are two fuses under the LHS cover of the bike next to the front fork, but they are for the spotlights only and should not affect anything else.  (Depending on the model they could also be further back under the little triangular side cover.) 

Check that your battery terminals are tight,make good contact and have no corrosion on them.

Forgot about them - never even looked at them in 8 years......
CanBus is not prone to failure at all - in fact the only issue that I know of is when you try and connect a compressor to the outlet under the seat, the amperage rating is generally too low and it "trips" - you just restart the bike to re-set the "fuse"

I am betting the battery is the root cause - when last was it replaced, as a matter of interest?

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 01:29:49 pm »
Alternatively, fit a Boosterplug.  Apparently they solve all kinds of issues.  :biggrin: :pot:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 02:19:58 pm »
Alternatively, fit a Boosterplug.  Apparently they solve all kinds of issues.  :biggrin: :pot:

:imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 09:36:22 am »

Thanks CT. Do you know if this Cannabis system is prone to failure? I will of course check the battery as you suggested. I will also hook up the 911, but if there's no power it is unlikely to respond. Eish, there goes my long weekend trip.

YES! There *IS* a separate stand alone inline fuse under the nose that carries current to the standard spot lights.  Follow the lead and you'll find a small black box...…
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »

YES! There *IS* a separate stand alone inline fuse under the nose that carries current to the standard spot lights.  Follow the lead and you'll find a small black box...…

Already said that in reply #3.

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 10:25:25 pm »

I cleaned the battery terminals today, and they did seem corroded. While the battery was out, I tested it and voltage was 12.6v. After reinstalling the battery, the voltage was reading 6v which is clearly too low, therefore it's clear that the problem is with the battery, or at least partly with the battery. I also managed the get the 911 going and it confirmed the battery is too low. Will get a new battery and report back. Thanks for the input so far.   

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 10:28:50 pm »

Forgot about them - never even looked at them in 8 years......
CanBus is not prone to failure at all - in fact the only issue that I know of is when you try and connect a compressor to the outlet under the seat, the amperage rating is generally too low and it "trips" - you just restart the bike to re-set the "fuse"

I am betting the battery is the root cause - when last was it replaced, as a matter of interest?

I cleaned the battery terminals today, and they did seem corroded. While the battery was out, I tested it and voltage was 12.6v which already seem too low. After reinstalling the battery, the voltage was reading 6v which is clearly too low, therefore it's clear that the problem is with the battery, or at least partly with the battery. I also managed the get the 911 going and it also confirmed the battery is too low. Will get a new battery and report back. Thanks for the input so far.