Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Australia.... Not Another one! The Island Saga  (Read 14214 times)

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Australia.... Not Another one! Itís the catchup thread.
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2019, 08:49:37 am »
If there is one thing that i love thats little country towns. We went to a place called castlemaine.
One day when I will retire to a little town like this.
One of the things this place is know for is Hot Rods.
https://www.hotrodcentre.com.au/gallery/

Me I love the old building and farms. (wouldn't mind a hot rod in the garage either)
Notice the lack of electric fences.... :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:52:16 am by BOZO »
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2019, 08:51:21 am »
And then on the way home I saw this old farm house.......
Aiiiii tog mense een dag. :drif:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
XT660Z

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:19 am »
Aiiiii tog mense een dag. :drif

What would the rent be of a farmhouse out in the rural areas? I'm not talking Outback.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Willem-Ben

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2019, 09:40:25 am »
Beeuuutiflulll!! ;)

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2019, 10:16:35 am »
Mooi! :thumleft:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
Australia.... Not Another one! Itís the catchup thread.
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2019, 12:50:30 pm »
Aiiiii tog mense een dag. :drif

What would the rent be of a farmhouse out in the rural areas? I'm not talking Outback.
It would depend on the size of the house and the town. but you can get places between $300 all the way to $650 a week. I have seen some great 4 bedroom 2 bathroom spots for $450 a week.....
But then at those prices itís almost worth it to just buy a place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:51:13 pm by BOZO »
XT660Z

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2019, 09:12:24 am »
Reminds me a little of Pilgrims Rest and Waterval Boven etc  many moons ago, in fact many a small town in SA many many moons ago.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:13:44 am by mox »
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:31 am »
Reminds me a little of Pilgrims Rest and Waterval Boven etc  many moons ago, in fact many a small town in SA many many moons ago.
Yes thatís exactly what itís like the towns in the mountains are almost replicas. Then if you go out into the (flatlands) they start to look like small dorpies in the free state. They all have a community hall a hotel (local pub) and a golf course. Its the real Australia out here, crocodile Dundee types everywhere. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
Re: Australia.... Not Another one! It’s the catchup thread.
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2019, 07:26:03 am »
Update from this weekend..
A History lesson but a fun one.
This story starts on a blustery Friday morning in the grey city of Melbourne, 4.9 Million people, having fought through a long dreary winter armed only with their $5 Cafť Latte’s, Espresso’s, Long Macchiato and Americano’s were ready for a weekend filled with excitement and a public holiday.  Its footy finals time once again.
The build-up has felt like it would last for ever.
After 23 weeks of round robin games there is a finals weekend, followed by a semi-finals weekend followed by some other finals weekend. Eventually the actual finals weekend is differentiated from the rest by calling it “the grand final” and having a parade in the city and latching on a public holiday for the actual footy in Victoria.
Blessed be the sport titans of this industry. While we are handing out blessings let’s not forget the corporate institutions that leach the minnows of their hard earned cash to line their industrial coffers.
“In total, Harcourt estimates the AFL Grand Final is worth a staggering $3 billion in total to the Victorian economy – greater than the surplus of last year's Victorian Budget.”
https://www.9news.com.au/national/afl-and-nrl-grand-final-cost-and-benefit-to-state-economy/14cc2afa-23b1-41d0-89e7-054623b5a878
While a large percentage of the populace enjoy the benefits of a day off work and a parade in the city there are a wise few that turn in the opposite direction and, for want of a better expression, “Get the fuck outta Dodge!!”
Wonder Woman, Bones, Marty and I were on a road trip. An unlikely trio of bikers and a Honda Jazz. The trip started out as per usual where Bones and Marty had discussed, and possibly agreed, on the route the night before. We were to meet them in Warrigal an hour outside of footy town and continue our trip united in our awesomeness together. After our double shot of caffeine injections, we were ready to get going, Wonder Woman and I sat by while Bones and Marty “discussed” the route to the next stop.  While both were quickly in agreement of the destination and the route the technology that was being used by each differed. You see Marty travels in luxury, his BMW R1200 GSA has all the bells and whistles including a Garmin global positioning system. Bones who is slightly vertically challenged has an equally luxurious BMW 700GS with a lowered seat. Her means of navigation is delivered via an iPhone running google maps. Although imperfect, there are various reasons each are better than the other and should be treated that way. I’m talking about the map software not the bikes or the people by the way. The problem is when the two work together via helmet communications the people not the bikes or the software.
You see Wonder Woman and I work on a “see you there” basis.
Marty and Bones like to communicate while riding, which is good, until the Garmin wants to go to the post office and the iPhone wants you to go wherever the communist bastards want.
Each little town on route was greeted with all of us doing multiple U-turns, shaking of heads, waving of hands and the universal “what the fuck are you doing” gestures. On the bright side I have managed to perfect my U-turns on single lanes. Our day started at 8:30 and we eventually arrived at our destination of Buchan at 16:00 covering approx. 440km. in 8 hours……
All in all a great day in the saddle taking in the picturesque views while passing through the small towns each with their own character and history. All of them amazing and worth a revisit.

What use would a quick letter be if it were not educational.

“Why Buchan?” I hear you ask. Well there are caves there, that’s why. Although that’s cool I’m not really interested in the geological discoveries linked to this destination.
There is a deeper darker more colourful piece of history besides the sheer visual beauty and dark holes filled with bats and guano.
You see Buchan was originally discovered by a dude called Edward Bayliss (Eddie) that was looking for grazing land for his cattle.
After a walkabout for a few years Eddie found this spot and put his peg in the ground proclaiming this his land.
Eddie then went off to collect his cows, unfortunately in his day there were no tar roads and Mack trucks, so he had to walk them from wherever they were through the mountains to said place called Buchan.
As a side question would this make him a buccaneer?

AANNNNYYYYWhooooooo This, my friends, is where it gets interesting.

I’m sure that you are aware that loose lips sink ships, snitches get stitches, and dead men tell no lies.
Even though the history books won’t actually say this, Eddie liked to sip on grandpa’s old medicine, when he was in the local pub drinking fermented piss with the boys he blabbed on about how special he was and how favorable the land was for grazing.
In his euphoric haze of potential wealth Eddie forgot that his arch nemesis (probably not at the time) was listening to all of this and jumped at the opportunity like a dog eating biltong scraps mistakenly dropped on the floor during a rugby match.
A year later Eddie arrived with his 715 head of cattle, two drays* and eight men to discover that some punk called John Rhodes Wilkinson (JR, Jonny, Johno) had arrived mere days before and claimed that exact same land as his.
Eddie was forced to settle further down the river and never really forgave Johno for his indiscretions…. 

* a truck or cart without sides, for delivering beer barrels or other heavy loads. (see I told you)

I think if I had been Eddie and Jonny had done that to me I would have been da-blickzem-in. 

Again, history does document what happened in the end except that after a mere 2 seasons they both packed up and left to go further south. (think I might investigate their travels further)

We spent the evening in the local pub doing much the same as Eddie, dopping pints and talking bikes. I was all complements about Marty and Bones’ 2 wheeled chariots, they were on form trying to convince Wonder Woman to buy a bike.
They were also not too subtle in their approach on their dislike of how I “fit” on my XT660Z Tenere.
Marty was probably the closest with……
“Have you ever been to a circus and seen the monkeys on the tiny bicycles?”
Bones was less delicate with
“The bike is very narrow for your frame”.
All too soon it was time to return to Melbourne. The return route would be quicker as wonder woman and I would take the hiway home.
You know how something doesn’t bother you it until someone points it out. Well the realization that my frame (tall, roundish and bony) vs the Yamaha frame (sleek, adventurous and proud), don’t gel together, especially over long distances started to bother me 50km into my 350km trip home.
By the time I got to mt final destination my ass was square, my spine was curved, and my legs were numb.
Seems I need to trade up back to my favourite favourite the GSA…or am I too old and should be looking at getting a 4x4 and start fly-fishing like the blokes in the Glenfiddich adverts.
Here are some memories without words. Remember always walk your cat with a lead…….
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:47:45 am by BOZO »
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2019, 07:30:12 am »
Some More pictures.
Anybody know what the long thing is.... my guess is an old gold separator...
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2019, 07:32:24 am »
And what good is a ride report without the beer and that bike!!!
XT660Z

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2019, 09:58:21 am »
Anybody know what the long thing is.

That looks like an old squire alphalfa or hay baler.

info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2019, 11:32:33 pm »
Yep I would agree with that. Would also make sense seeing as there's a deep history of bovine farming there. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:50 am »
Ok, to continue with the updates.
Hopefully you guys are still reading this, :bueller:
This was in the new year we had been here for 7 months and I was still converting to Rands. It really took me a long time to stop converting,
I can see now reading through these letters how difficult I had made it for my family.....  :eek7:

XT660Z

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2019, 10:16:11 am »
So which one of the two on the bridge is wonder woman?
Or is she the one with helmet in hand on the stoep in the background?
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2019, 10:32:51 am »
Welcome to the new year everyone 2017 SHEEEEEWWW WEEEEEEE, Iím sure that you are all keen to get back to work to get away from the kids?..
Here on the island we still have holidays for the kids until the 30th January.
As I sit here at my desk my thoughts turn to when the eating machine, Trento/Trenticles, (he is having a youtube identity crisis) gets bored, the fridge door opens and closes so often that it ends up working better as an air conditioner.
That should only cost us about $4000 in extra food bills then.
Funny story about eating machines. Marius and Vanessa or the 50/50 couple or Marty and Bones (the couple where Martin is now a Australian Citizen and Vanessa is not) Invite us, the Robinson family, out to the city to have a look at bright lights.
Being fresh off the boat and all, we (I) donít really venture into the city, and why would we, there are people there. Lots of them.
And thereís the traffic and you have to pay for stuff and its busy and itís a city.  :biggrin:
Anyway we get a call from the 50/50 family and we accept. According to wonder woman ďitís good to go out and try new things.Ē  :patch:
I was prepared for the worst, mentally I had done my exercises and practiced my breathing techniques, I repeated my mantra to myself
ďMy mind is like a hollow reed; the wind blows through me.Ē
We jumped on the train and 25 minutes later we were in the city. BOOMÖ.
WHAAT??? No traffic, no taxis, no hooting, no aggressive driving to stop taxis from pushing in at a robot, or crossing over 3 lanes in front of you, no people standing at the side of the robots selling coat hangers and used car radios.
Still there were lots of people. LOTSÖÖ lucky my mental preparations were not in vain, I was still ready for the onslaught of being bumped around, glared at like homeless F$%k, harassed by street hawkers and constantly looking over my shoulder for some Hussain Bolt wannabe with a temporarily borrowed handbag to come screaming past.
Alas it was not to be.
Walking around here, this thing called personal space, is understood.
Itís all very civilized, its busy, donít get me wrong, there are 1000ís of people, but there is space, people smile and walk around, if they stop for a chat, they move to the side of the walk way. WWHHAAAATTTT???? yes its true!!!
I was steadily starting to relax, when I realized that there was still something wrong.
Had I lost a child?
Had I been robbed?
What was wrong?
Spiderpig had seen about 40 fast food places by now and was dropping hints faster than Hansie Cronjie at a press conference.
Trenticles was checking his reflection in the shop windows, pulling a muscle and winking at his reflection.  All thereÖ..
I did the quick spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch check? All thereÖ..
What was it?
I just couldnít put my finger on itÖ..Marius or Martin (His Aussie Name) walked over and said,
 ďHave you noticed how quiet the city is? Ē
That was the thing I was missing, there were no hooters blaring, people screaming at each other.
Ahhhhhhh lekker!!!!
Well there was this one part where there was a broken-down RENAULT and the driver needed help to push it into the harbor, but thatís easily forgiven in any country.  :pot:
Unfortunately, his spot in the harbour was taken by a broken Nissan x-trail. (LOL)  :pot:

Our stroll through the City was both educational and interesting, the Graffiti on the walls was very cool, the food stalls and little pubs along Southbank were very inviting, Iím sure if you were wealthy it would be a lot nicer to walk in have a little snack and a quick dop then move onto the next oneÖ..
Well at least now I know what itís like to be on the other side of the windowÖ :o

AANNNYYYYYYWWWAAAYYYY I have deviated from my story.

By now Spiderpig has moved on from dropping hints about food to using physical intimidation and is attempting to herd us into a pen like a sheep dog.
Trenticles/Trent0123 is starting to look a bit faint as well so we decide we will go to a food plaza and get a feed there.

BUT FIRST letís rewind to add a little context to this event.

At this point in time I would just like to add that not all blame can be shouldered by my offspring and wonder woman, even I, sometimes, need to put my hand up and confess.
The outcome of this evening was probably my fault.
You be the Judge. That would mean that you would have to write back MWHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Apparently acknowledging your short comings makes you a better personÖÖÖ
It doesnít make you feel better, there is a difference. So you have to choose, be a better person, or feel good.

ďAs gevolg vanĒ / Because of my continuous mental exchange rate conversion mentality in the last 7 months of existence here on the island we have not had any ďtakeoutĒ or been out for dinner or any luxuries like that.
Added to that, by now Iím sure you have realized that feeding two growing boys is not cheap.
Feeding them in a Melbourne restaurant at these prices is just wrong. Its so wrong that it makes me physically ill.
We may have crossed an ocean, we may have spent time learning the rules for the Footy and even spent time chatting to the locals.
HELL I even got my driverís license, but to pay R200 for a standard cheese burger and R32 for a bottle of water tends to ruin the taste for me.
Call me Jewish, in fact you can call me whatever you like, but my taste buds start shutting down at R200 for a Burger and everything is bitter after that.
Luckily being trained by the Biggest Afrikaans Jewboy I know (Herman) I had a counter measure for this.
My plan was to feed the boys before we went out, that way they wonít order the entire left side of the menu when we eventually stop.
Ok, on with the storyÖÖ.

Fast-forward to just after we got there.
Like a pack of wolfs on the hunt on a warm summers day in Alaska and finding an open butchery with nobody around, they (one in particular, Spiderpig) were taking full advantage of this rare occasion.
The sights and sounds of the city were lost on them like a backup third team rugby player orange peeler, he is in the game but not really taking part. 
Max had eyes for one thing and one thing only, shops selling food, fast food. If the oil content was above 30% then all the better!
While walking around we stopped at an oriental shop and bought what looks like an oval pizza, that has its sides bent up like a boat, so that all the oil and kak doesnít drip out.
Spiderpig and Trenticles had one each.

BOOOOOOM done, next please?
Then off to the food plaza a little later and then.
Large Cheese burger
BOOOM Done!....
Large Chips
BOOM Done!!!........
Energade
boom Done!!!!!!.........
Milkshake.
BOOM Almost done!! And thatís where the problems start.  :dousing:

First Spiderpig says to Trenticles that he doesnít want any more of his milkshake. My Spidey senses start to tingle, whoa, whatís going on here?   ???
Next Spiderpig looks at wonder woman and gives her that look that only a mother understands. My Spidey senses accelerate to a more concrete sensation of impending financial loss for myself and stomach content loss for Spiderpig. :eek7:
In a flash they were outside getting fresh air. And now it was like Fuck the "spidey sensesĒ this is a full-blown frontal assault on my wallet. It felt like paying taxes in South Africa again.   :snorting:
There was no need to predict the future of what was going to happen, I received the ďlookĒ from wonder woman that said stay away.  :-\
Trenticles was taking full advantage of the situation by delivering a running commentary as quickly as possible to gain favour over another sibling, and I was wondering if Spiderpig would try to hold at least a little down.  :patch:
Needless to say itís a laughing matter now and I will feed them more before we go out again!!!  AndÖÖ take a kots bag so we can heat it up for later. (EEEWWWW) :pot:

Anyway More to follow soon. Exploring the outback

XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2019, 10:36:43 am »
So which one of the two on the bridge is wonder woman?
Or is she the one with helmet in hand on the stoep in the background?
Wonder Woman is tall blond one on the bridge... were you looking for the super hero outfit?  :imaposer:
Believe it or not just like Clark Kent you wont recognize her if she takes her glasses of.
XT660Z

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2019, 11:22:36 am »
Fark BOZO, your reporting is hilarious!  :imaposer:  I think it should be made into a sitcom. The Cruize Ous on the Island... +16 SNVL (is there a letter for "politically incorrect"?)  :biggrin:

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2019, 12:20:41 pm »
 SNVL (is there a letter for "politically incorrect"?)

Think it is P :deal: ;)

Heard not so long ago what those letters stand for in Afrikaans.
Nee,Sies,Vieslik,Lelik!! :deal: :lol8:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2019, 07:25:46 pm »
No "kat skiet" piekchas? You almost disappoint me... :patch: :pot: :peepwall:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)