Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Australia.... Not Another one! The Island Saga  (Read 12990 times)

IanTheTooth, Dunnes and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TeeJay

Re: Australia.... Not Another one! The Island Saga
« Reply #300 on: November 08, 2019, 05:51:05 am »
Cute puppy - keep him  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #301 on: November 08, 2019, 10:15:41 am »
They are pretty soft on that sort of thing.

But they will hunt you down if you do 52 kms per hour in a 50 zone :deal: ;D
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2019, 11:20:54 am »
Err, not quite Chris. They will always give you 10% plus one and when I've phoned up my son and overheard the speed trapping going on at the gas station on the Bruce Highway they usually throw back a lot doing considerably more than that. The good news if that if there is a car around it is almost impossible to pick up a bike on the radar guns they are issued with so when I shot out at lunch to get something on the motorbike and didn't spot them they couldn't get a lock on me so we exchanged waves rather than a ticket.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2019, 11:29:10 am »
Err, not quite Chris. They will always give you 10% plus one and when I've phoned up my son and overheard the speed trapping going on at the gas station on the Bruce Highway they usually throw back a lot doing considerably more than that. The good news if that if there is a car around it is almost impossible to pick up a bike on the radar guns they are issued with so when I shot out at lunch to get something on the motorbike and didn't spot them they couldn't get a lock on me so we exchanged waves rather than a ticket.
I (when there is not much else) watch Highway Patrol from Down Under. It seems they are very very strict on anything vehicle related in Aus and there is a whole lot of people in Aus that needs strict laws to keep them to toe the line.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2019, 10:02:51 am »
Chris, here we are on the Pacific Highway. Speedo cruise is on and everybody is doing the same speed, even the guy in the Airstream. There are no 30 year old bakkies with 10 goats and 15 humans in the bin struggling to do 40kph and no spiky haired Indians weaving in and out in their Golf GTI's. I've been on this road for over 800km now and everybody is behaving themselves and I haven't seen one police patrol or speed trap.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:03:36 am by IanTheTooth »

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2019, 10:04:28 am »
It is Sunday, so someone is watching
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:05:13 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2019, 11:18:35 am »
Itís Sunday here in Melbourne. Itís fucken cold and miserable. The weather for the next week doesnít look any better. Your picture of you flying down the hiway has been tracked by the local authorities and they will be arriving soon to issue you a ticket.
Someone is watching, all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2019, 01:09:33 pm »
Shame about the weather Bozo. Been through 3 enormous firestorms at Gregory River, Yeppoon and Noosa plus 38 degrees on the Bruce Highway but no rain.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2019, 10:15:46 pm »
Chris, here we are on the Pacific Highway. Speedo cruise is on and everybody is doing the same speed, even the guy in the Airstream. There are no 30 year old bakkies with 10 goats and 15 humans in the bin struggling to do 40kph and no spiky haired Indians weaving in and out in their Golf GTI's. I've been on this road for over 800km now and everybody is behaving themselves and I haven't seen one police patrol or speed trap.

Have to agree -  here in NZ it's the same. you can comfortably sit in the fast lane at the speed limit without someone right up your ass trying to force you to move so they can pass.

Its weird to explain as you say everyone behaves, driving to work is not stressful in NZ as the traffic is moving, no push ins and you over all just more relaxed.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2019, 10:44:21 pm »
You both think people drive the way they do because of the merit system that works there?
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #310 on: November 11, 2019, 01:31:06 am »
You were right Bozo. They were waiting for me when I walked out the lobby this morning. At least it was a full spec Commodore for the trip to the station. They were very nice, they said if I had told them that I was going to take a picture of them they would have smiled.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2019, 02:18:51 am »
You both think people drive the way they do because of the merit system that works there?

Not just the d merits, but how well the general police system works. Don't think you will get a fine here and not pay it.

Police in-car cameras scan numbers plates constantly for any traffic offensive, including outstanding fines, and they will stop you on the spot for it.

In New Zealand the grace for over the speed limit is only 4, so drive 55 in a 50kmhz zone and it's a $60 fine BUT no d-merits. D-merits for speeding only starts from 10km/h over the speed limit and only manned cameras. Speed camera fines you don't get points for.

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #312 on: November 11, 2019, 03:03:27 am »
You were right Bozo. They were waiting for me when I walked out the lobby this morning. At least it was a full spec Commodore for the trip to the station. They were very nice, they said if I had told them that I was going to take a picture of them they would have smiled.
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #313 on: November 11, 2019, 03:08:57 am »

Not just the d merits, but how well the general police system works. Don't think you will get a fine here and not pay it.

Police in-car cameras scan numbers plates constantly for any traffic offensive, including outstanding fines, and they will stop you on the spot for it.

In New Zealand the grace for over the speed limit is only 4, so drive 55 in a 50kmhz zone and it's a $60 fine BUT no d-merits. D-merits for speeding only starts from 10km/h over the speed limit and only manned cameras. Speed camera fines you don't get points for.

Yes it definitely the points system. I think it takes 18 months to regain your points. I have (touchwood) not lost any yet. (just checked)  You get 12 points in a 3 Year Cycle.....eish
Even-though  we have to drive around at snails pace you do get used to it.
Also you can no longer guestimate that because its 100km away it will take an hour to get to your destination.
For example if I have to go to the airport which is 50km away and it takes an hour. pretty much any time of the day. traffic or not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:36:21 am by BOZO »
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #314 on: November 11, 2019, 04:02:56 am »
I cant believe that this was 2 years ago....

We spent a great deal of time looking for a new place to live as our current abode was no longer commodious for Trenticles and the other three people that exist around him.
Clearly this is a lie and Iím only joking, our lease was coming to an end and WE NEEDED A GARDEN.
I have been living on this island for a year and I just wanted to have a braai in my own garden and have a piss in the garden.
You know the basic needs of any individual with a penis.  ;)
We (Wonder Woman) eventually found a place that ticks all the boxes.
1.   Garden
2.   4 bedrooms
3.   Garden
4.   Separate bathroom for the adults
5.   Garden
6.   Garage to park cars
7.   Garden
8.   Lounge
9.   Garden

Oh did I mention that we now have a garden?????

Before we started moving house Trenticles and Spiderpig came with me on separate occasions to have a look at the place and to check out the garden.
When I pulled up to the gate and stopped, they both just sat there in the front seat of the car looking at the gate like it was the entrance to Mordor and they were carrying the ring.
After 30 seconds or so they turned to me with a confused look, like a confused car guard that is given a life tip instead of money. (my favourite is ďNever look directly into the sunĒ)
I realized then that they have never lived in a house that didnít have an automatic gate.
There is nothing like an island to bring you back to earth you brat, this is a manual-o-matic, you are going to need more than a limber thumb to open this puppy!!!. 
Call me a Troglodyte if you like but points to me for being old and thinking of having an automatic gate as a luxury item typically used only by larneys.
The daunting task of relocating house in a world where labour is about as expensive electricity in South Africa there was some serous planning needed.
We borrowed boxes from Marty and Bones and spent a week packing and transporting boxes from one house to the other, the Jazz (wonder womanís fancy smanchy car) is like a bakkie and you can pack a lot of kak in there.
SpiderPig was helpful and came with on most nights (packed into the back of the Jazz like a passenger in a taxi heading to Polokwane over Easter weekend.
He helped carry boxes and unpack and gave out general unwanted psychological support and background noise.
Trenticles on the other hand decided that we were crazy, and if you lie on your bed and play music and do absolutely fackall, all the stuff will pack itself and get to the new house one its own.
Even on the day that the movers arrived to move all the big stuff, his machiavellian machination was to have breakfast, get dressed and leave.
In order to keep him alive wonder woman gave him the new address while I was dealing with the moversÖ.
And here is the clincher, there were 2 guys and they packed and unpacked that truck in 3 hours. Iíve never seen two okes work like that before.
By 16:00 we were basically unpacked and settled in to the new house, cracking a cold beer and having a BRAAI!!!!! 
The only thing that could have made it better was to be choeffing on a Peter Stuyvesant blue and chugging back an ice-cold castle while debating which Super Rugby game to watch.
It was so lekker to have a Garden we sommer BRAAIíed the next day again.
 :thumleft:
XT660Z

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #315 on: November 11, 2019, 05:12:10 am »
Bozo and Silvrav are both correct. They don't mess around here. When I got out the hotel I found that they'd closed both ends of my block in Ann St. They weren't going to take any chances with a hardened perpetrator like myself.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:50:25 pm by IanTheTooth »

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2019, 05:22:39 am »
The truth: Our hotel is next to Anzac Square and this is 11/11 Armistice day and they were having a parade down Ann St. Just what my wife was looking forward too during her quiet day of studying before her exam tomorrow, the reason why we are in Brisbane.. That's why the place was full of Traffic police first thing. When  arrived in Durban at the start of the 80's  Durban town was a bustling center of commerce and shops and it was always a joy to see the bright young things of Durban out on their lunch-break. Today the center of Durban is a wasteland but Brisbane in 2019 looks like the Durban of old. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:51:57 pm by IanTheTooth »

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2019, 10:45:19 am »
Bozo how much is rent for the new house per month?
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online IanTheTooth

« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2019, 12:38:22 pm »
You coming Chris?  Lots of people have asked me about Australian tax. Do you want to see a real tax return? Bozo can tell you about rental.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2019, 12:38:54 pm »
Do you also say........gaaaaaaarden.........ala Aussie style/accent  :imaposer:
Eat life!