Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Australia.... Not Another one! Itís the catchup thread.  (Read 4296 times)

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Australia.... Not Another one! Itís the catchup thread.
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:14 am »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:
While visiting the land of the long white cloud my boss decided that we should go out for dinner.
Having not been out for dinner in a while,(an EXPENSIVE Activity) I was ready to eat just about anything. Well except for fish, food is supposed to be enjoyed, not played with picking out bones that will get stuck in your throat and kill you. Anything else better watch out, with enough spices I could make dry dogs turds taste like oxtail.
My opinion was, if you are paying, I'm eating! Normally when I travel alone I try to keep the bills as low as possible as there tends to be a hidden list of what they will pay for and what they wonít. Itís a secret list which I have not seen yet. So in true African style, not knowing when this opportunity will come round again I was keen.
A short walk from our hotel we found a restaurant called Mexico Britomart, ahhhhh Mexican food. Tequila!! And the vibe was awesome!!  8)
We decided that this would be our destination for the evening.
Finding it hard to choose which flavour I weighed up my choices and went with 3 out of the 5 taco's  beef, chicken and pork. extra chillies.
Serves me right!
Because today, its donít wipe just dab........ >:D
Just love the decor!!!!
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2019, 01:36:51 am »
Its that time of the year.  >:(
Anybody that owns a car in Victoria knows this time.
Its not like Christmas or Easter, and it not like SpringDay. These arrive on different days for everyone. And If you happen to have more than one veee-hhhh-ache-hill you get to have this more than once.
Its called Rego day. I got mine in the email this morning.
Opening your wallet to pay this beast causes enough mental and physical distress to tighten your sphincter so tight that even Archimedes who said
ďGive me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.Ē
wouldn't be able to release that tension.
It doesn't really matter what currency you convert this into its expensive. :o :o :o
If you don't pay it...boom your car is on the road illegally and if they catch you, (and they will) its a fine and you cant drive your car any further...
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
XT660Z

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2019, 01:53:48 am »
Its that time of the year.  >:(
Anybody that owns a car in Victoria knows this time.
Its not like Christmas or Easter, and it not like SpringDay. These arrive on different days for everyone. And If you happen to have more than one veee-hhhh-ache-hill you get to have this more than once.
Its called Rego day. I got mine in the email this morning.
Opening your wallet to pay this beast causes enough mental and physical distress to tighten your sphincter so tight that even Archimedes who said
ďGive me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.Ē
wouldn't be able to release that tension.
It doesn't really matter what currency you convert this into its expensive. :o :o :o
If you don't pay it...boom your car is on the road illegally and if they catch you, (and they will) its a fine and you cant drive your car any further...

:eek7: I take back you lucky for delivery of foods....I rather have NZ rego

columns are 3,6 and 12months respectively

but for bikes, times it by 4 atleast as bike rego here is kak expensive
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:54:40 am by silvrav »

Offline IanTheTooth

• The past is a foreign country
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2019, 03:06:58 am »
Yes, they took $491 out of my pocket for a bike in QLD of which $160 is the obligatory insurance. It is quite a bit cheaper to rego it for solo use only and as BOZO says, if you decide to not bother and use it on the farm for a couple of years you still have to pay $40 for a COR before they will re-register it to use locally on the roads so most of the kids here have unlicensed bikes and vanish into the bush when the police arrive. My son got a police car stuck in a cane field chasing a kid on a TTR230 which he said was a lot quicker than he expected. Told him he should have left well alone. The car rego is much worse and is the reason why Australians don't have a few cars to choose from in the garage like we did in RSA. There is a special rate for collectors and vintage cars but there are restrictions about using them too often, like driving to work 5 days a week.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:00 am »
Nothing like taking in the tail pipe....  :o :o
We have 2 cars and 1 bike. They all fall inline Aug, Sept,Oct.
The bike is no cheaper.  :'( AND the coppers here are RUTHLESS.
Give an Aussie a ticket book and they will bitterly / literally write you up for breathing.... takes "keeping an eye on things" to a whole new level.. :ricky:

XT660Z

Offline immigrant

Australia.... Not Another one! Itís the catchup thread.
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2019, 06:59:26 am »
You guys are amateurs when it comes to insurance.....

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:07:38 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:22 am »
Nee fok, I would walk.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2019, 08:03:37 am »

So, insurance on a 800cc Yamaha motorcycle is $2391 p.a. and more than on a 2016 GMC Crewcab 4 x 4.???

Within 4 years you could replace the bike just on the money you spent on insurance. 
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Online Offshore

« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2019, 08:41:36 am »
Give an Aussie a ticket book and they will bitterly / literally write you up for breathing.... takes "keeping an eye on things" to a whole new level.. :ricky:

Pre 95 the White Spietkops in SA were the same, I remember one frothing at the Mouth and trembling uncontrollable while writing a Ticket because my reverse Light was not working. ::)

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2019, 09:13:33 am »

Ruthless towards the people wanting to obey the law.

When it comes to breaking up a Sudanese teenage racket, you will find the coppers pretty useless.

Offline Tman21

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2019, 09:41:05 am »

When it comes to breaking up a Sudanese teenage racket, you will find the coppers pretty useless.

Look, ill admire any sort of efficiency at this point and time. :deal:
Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2019, 10:02:55 am »

I'm with you... :patch:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2019, 10:42:36 am »
I am so glad I started reading this.
Your writing style is fantastic and has me laughing out loud!

The following users thanked this post: BOZO

Offline immigrant

« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2019, 02:31:13 pm »

So, insurance on a 800cc Yamaha motorcycle is $2391 p.a. and more than on a 2016 GMC Crewcab 4 x 4.???

Within 4 years you could replace the bike just on the money you spent on insurance.

I forgot to mention there is still a deductible when you claim and I have no choice when it comes to insurance. There is only provincial government insurance. If you want to ride/drive you have to pay the above prices. BUT we can get insurance for only a week at a time and we can buy and cancel online. So if I see it is going to rain next week, I can cancel my bike insurance till the weather improves, and in the winter I cancel my bike insurance altogether (but maintain fire and theft) Realistically my bikes are probably only insured for 3 months a year so they get  very little in premiums but have a potential big payout in case of an accident since that insurance covers lifetime medical expenses, loss of income , home renovations like wheelchair ramps etc. They calculate bike insurance on risk of injury, not necessarily on value of the bike itself
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2019, 02:39:37 pm »
I forgot to mention there is still a deductible when you claim and I have no choice when it comes to insurance. There is only provincial government insurance. If you want to ride/drive you have to pay the above prices. BUT we can get insurance for only a week at a time and we can buy and cancel online. So if I see it is going to rain next week, I can cancel my bike insurance till the weather improves, and in the winter I cancel my bike insurance altogether (but maintain fire and theft) Realistically my bikes are probably only insured for 3 months a year so they get  very little in premiums but have a potential big payout in case of an accident since that insurance covers lifetime medical expenses, loss of income , home renovations like wheelchair ramps etc. They calculate bike insurance on risk of injury, not necessarily on value of the bike itself

Ah, the fun of living in the first world. It just works.

Here you get a payout of your vehicle's trade in if a St Bernard used it as a chew toy...if that. And if your car was stolen, but the tyres were a little run down, well, you get nothing. Farkers... :lamer:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2019, 07:40:58 pm »

Ah, the fun of living in the first world. It just works.

Here you get a payout of your vehicle's trade in if a St Bernard used it as a chew toy...if that. And if your car was stolen, but the tyres were a little run down, well, you get nothing. Farkers... :lamer:

Really? My car was written off with 100,000 km and the insurer paid out slightly more than book value.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline silvrav

« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2019, 09:48:31 pm »

Yip, same in NZ and I believe the same in Aus but @BOZO can confirm

The reasom being the risk of medical expenses and support services to scrape you of the tarmac is much higher then with a car. So here the goverment says why must the rest pay for it? So the bike license and insurance is higher due to the higher risk.

:imaposer: ok ok @immigrant you win
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:49:08 pm by silvrav »

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2019, 03:00:45 am »

I am with you on that one mate.

My point is - sometimes the strengths of the first world can also be it's weakness. Too many human and individual rights rendering the authorities powerless.

I remember a story in the news about a year ago - a party one night in a rental property in Melbourne that became ugly and violent with furniture flying through the windows and walls and doors getting bashed in, etc.

The landlord and coppers were standing on the pavement watching it all but unable to move in and stop it because of tenant rights, etc.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2019, 09:55:48 am »

Do they cause any problems?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #159 on: Yesterday at 01:16:53 am »

Pre 95 the White Spietkops in SA were the same, I remember one frothing at the Mouth and trembling uncontrollable while writing a Ticket because my reverse Light was not working. ::)

Yep, But they also had a sense of humor. About that time was was on my bike on my way someplace. I was pulled over for not coming to a complete stop.
When I handed over my green ID book with my license in he looked at my picture and just started laughing at me, he called over his chommie and the two of then had a good giggle.
After about 5 minutes they let me go with the following comment.... (in Afrikaans,) "Thanks for making my day. Dont do it again. And this is illegal by the way."

I had cut out he face of Jim Carey from Ace Venture and sticky taped it over my face in my id-book. (its the small things in life that make me laugh) :imaposer:
XT660Z