Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Australia.... Not Another one! The Island Saga  (Read 12392 times)

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Australia.... Not Another one! It’s the catchup thread.
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2019, 03:57:11 am »
Who said manual petrol pump? This is a town time left behind called Nebo. We went through when I was checking up on Turrawulla Road and the pass up to Eungella (pronounced Young-gella.)  Main raison d'etre for Nebo was a police compound to wipe out the local aboriginals. The cage on the back of the Landcruiser is for a pig dog. They still love their hunting.
On our travels into the "outback" we stayed close to a place called Wilcannia.
The name Wilcannia is said to be derived from an Aboriginal term for either 'gap in the bank where floodwaters escape' or 'wild dog'. Neither meaning has been linguistically verified
I got chatting to a Trukkie that used to pass though there quite often and he told me some interesting stories about that place. I wont convey them here but here is a little snippet of its history.
Apparently they built a massive cage just out side of town, and would round up all the males 18 and over on a friday arvo and put them in the cage, supply them with cases of grog and let them at it.
On Saturday afternoon when everyone was hungover and too tired to cause kak they would let them out.

Remember this article is VERY PC.

"It is impossible to write about Wilcannia without discussing what white visitors describe as "the Aboriginal problem". There has long been a perception, fuelled by newspaper reports and images of groups of local Aborigines standing around outside the pubs in the main street, that the town is a hotbed of violence, dysfunctional behaviour and "problems". It is not uncommon to hear, in White Cliffs, Cobar or Broken Hill, people declaring that they drove through Wilcannia and did not stop because it looked so dangerous. And it is very common to hear locals advising visitors not to stop in Wilcannia because it is a dangerous town.

This assessment is simply not true. Historically there was a major problem because very ignorant government officials used Wilcannia as a dumping ground for Aborigines from surrounding areas with no thought (or knowledge) that they belonged to different language groups and were not necessarily going to all live happily ever afterwards. It was not dissimilar to creating a camp in the Balkans and putting a mix of Croats, Serbs, Macedonians and Greeks together because they all look white and surely they will all get along with each other. The potent mix of the local Barkindji with Wangkumara, Danggali, Barindji and Malyangapa people from surrounding areas was deeply divisive and racially insensitive."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:01:30 am by BOZO »
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2019, 05:24:02 am »
Looks like there is more to the outback than just sun, dust and beer. Carry on with educating us. Interesting.

PS. Not sure I dig the poetry...

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2019, 06:42:36 am »
There may be some dispute about the mother, but those boys are definitely yours :laughing4:

Well done on keeping them alive this long :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:43:02 am by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Willem-Ben

« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2019, 10:48:18 am »
Thank you agian for the island life update.

Those getaways is what they will remember for the rest of their lives. - Priceless.

Keep it going.

The following users thanked this post: BOZO

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2019, 07:11:26 pm »
Entertaining read, Bozo  :laughing4:

I'm along for the ride, don't let them Australian pricks get you to yell, iirc, "my shout", in a bar, it can get expensive, or so I've heard.
I’m da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2019, 03:55:45 am »
Looks like there is more to the outback than just sun, dust and beer. Carry on with educating us. Interesting.

PS. Not sure I dig the poetry...
:laughing4:
Its a big place with lots on interesting people and things to see.
Poetry was never my strong point!! :biggrin:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2019, 03:57:03 am »
There may be some dispute about the mother, but those boys are definitely yours :laughing4:

Well done on keeping them alive this long :thumleft:
:thumleft:
If you stick around for the rest of the SAGA you may start to question that statement  >:D
XT660Z

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2019, 03:59:26 am »
Entertaining read, Bozo  :laughing4:

I'm along for the ride, don't let them Australian pricks get you to yell, iirc, "my shout", in a bar, it can get expensive, or so I've heard.
Thanks!! Expensive is not the word.... drinking in a bar is purely a quiet occasion....
Lots more stories to come!!
XT660Z

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Re: Australia.... Not Another one! The Island Saga
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2019, 04:18:33 pm »
awesome, still loving this, bring it on, BOZO!!!

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2019, 02:43:44 am »
AALLLLLLLLLRIGHTY then !!!.
On with the last part of outback story.  (its always good to have a breather)

There is however one additional story that I need to share with you about our great trek into the edge of the vast wilderness of the island. I could attempt to draw parallels between the wild of the outback and camping in Botswana but that would be pathetic. Instead all I can offer is hearsay and my impressions and experiences.
So everyone says that on the Island if you can’t eat it it’s going to try to kill you.
Because there are no natural predators on the island, they have reverted to using 10 gigiabazilion eucalyptus trees, a rule book and Mosquitoes to remove you from this blue planet.
Being a Roff and toff Benoni Boytjie that that you all know me to be I have had a fair share of Outdoor experiences. I can without a shadow of a doubt inform you that I’m not squeamish about most goggas and what not.  :patch:
For those of you that don’t know, I was, in my youth, a cub scout. I had a lot of badges that that my mommy very kindly sewed onto my blanky and kept for me. My “Friends” instead have ‘thoughtfully’ assigned me the tribe name of “he who sits and wee’s and sews”  ???
Laugh if you must, but, guess who is called to the front line when they need a knot tied, or to build a ship from tent material…. That be me mudaeffers!!!  :lol8:
Well we were camping in Wilcannia on the edge of the Billabong (here on the island they don’t know what an oxbow lake is so they called it a billabong) having dinner in the bush kitchen. We were relaxing and listening to the screaming parrots, and daydreaming of Africa’s wild animals, where sitting willy-nilly in the bush without a fire will get you chowed by a multitude of four legged unfriendlys, and if you don’t climb into your tent soon enough then the angry pachyderm’s will make sure you know where your tent is.
ANNNNYYYYWWAAAYYYY. So we sitting at the bush kitchen and reading through the rule book of things you are not to do on the island when Spiderpig decides to look under the table.
WELL Suck-me-sideways. Have you ever seen an eleven-year-old jump backwards so fast he nearly jumped directly out of his skin…. We nearly had a perfect eleven-year-old skin to use as a welcome mat at home.
Trenticles was watching this situation with an eye if distrust and thought that maybe he should just check it out to be sure. WHHOOOOPPP back summi triple flip flop and face plant….We nearly had welcome mats for the front and the back doors.
You must understand the sun has set and I have sucked back 10 of my 12 Victoria Bitters and was not about to leave the comfort of the table, nothing was going to get me moving, this benoni boytjie is fearless remember.
Well Fearless and stupidity are pretty close together and I was fearless until Trenticles and spiderpig were talking to me in half sentences both at the same time. Dad… dad.. dad… dad… Big, Huge….dad,.. its by your knee. Dad… dad…. No really dad… don’t move your leg…….. dad… etc etc..
By now the beers are quickly wearing off and I’ve sobered to a 6 beer level and quickly getting sobererererer by the second. Still, I remained unwavering, my theory is ,what you cant see cant hurt you, and I share these wise words with my offspring.
Trenticles grabs my phone and takes a photo, and shows it to me…..WELL HOLY SHIT BALLS WHAT THE F@#$ IS THAT!! ITS HUGE!!!!!.

I must have looked like a fat man being electrocuted with a defibrillator, while hanging onto a makkers (Mc Donald’s) happy meal, I was outta that bench with a touch of speed, it’s not pretty but it was YouTube worthy. Wonder woman would have had two welcome mats and a car seat cover!! The car seat cover would have needed a visit to the dry cleaners to remove the shit from the woolly side but it at least its wrinkle free.  ;)
10 beers and I could have passed a Breathalyzer with a smile! Talk about a sobering moment. Below is the Picture.………Needless to say we did not need any angry pachyderm’s to send us to bed!!
To Conserve the enviroment and your mental state of mind I have SHRUNK this image to 1/10 of the orignal size. (I’m talking about the spiders size  :lol8:)

Those Blue dots in that background are its mother’s eyes (insert your scream emoji here)

One last parting shot before I end off. When driving +/-2000km in any country you are going to pass more than a couple of sign boards. In that entire distance I did not see a single sign board with a bullet hole in it!!!! (open season whoop whoop)
XT660Z

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2019, 03:19:54 am »
I have complete understanding. Yesterday's snake episode, hereafter to be referred to as "the snake incident of 2019" seems very similar.  :spitcoffee:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2019, 03:25:33 am »
Please keep them that side of the pond! We have very little dangerous spiders here and NO snakes, not even the zoo are allowed snakes.  :o

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2019, 04:02:33 am »
I have complete understanding. Yesterday's snake episode, hereafter to be referred to as "the snake incident of 2019" seems very similar.  :spitcoffee:
:laughing4: :laughing4: When I read your story yesterday I had a good giggle!!
XT660Z

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2019, 06:56:41 am »
Spiders one side, snakes on the other!
It seems dangerous to immigrate! :lol8:
O ja, here we have both! :peepwall:
Thanks, interesting to get a feel for your life that side!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2019, 09:26:08 am »
Being a total arachnophobe and constantly have to throw either the missus or one of the kids in front of the proverbial spider bus living in the Karoo have exceptional experiences of various gymnastic skills worth gold medals in any event I never knew I had  :biggrin:

Great read keep it coming  :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2019, 10:41:51 am »
I thought of you, @BOZO and @Maverick, when I found this near my bathroom last night.

This morning I threw my towel over the shower wall, turned on the water and stepped under it. When I turned around, a stealthy movement caught my eye. This one was crawling carefully up the towel and away from me, barely centimetres away. A chilly shudder went through me as I hastily shoo'ed it on its course up and out.

Now, I have no fear of spiders, but this was a bit too close for comfort, and reminded me of that scene from "Psycho" where instead of a knife, a spider flies at me.

PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2019, 10:45:02 am »
I thought of you, @BOZO and @Maverick, when I found this near my bathroom last night.

This morning I threw my towel over the shower wall, turned on the water and stepped under it. When I turned around, a stealthy movement caught my eye. This one was crawling carefully up the towel and away from me, barely centimetres away. A chilly shudder went through me as I hastily shoo'ed it on its course up and out.

Now, I have no fear of spiders, but this was a bit too close for comfort, and reminded me of that scene from "Psycho" where instead of a knife, a spider flies at me.

I trust your insurance covers for the house being burned down @Ri :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2019, 03:13:18 pm »

:imaposer:

Online Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2019, 03:16:52 pm »

:imaposer:

Ek sou in my broek K@K!!!!!!!!

Ek haat die goed!!!
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2019, 04:05:09 pm »
My reuse groot seun van 21 sou die huis afgebrand het....na hy soos tiener meisietjie gegil het...

Hy doen nie spinnekoppe nie. Kan darem al 'n kakkerlak doodmaak - met my skoen... :patch:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:06:03 pm by BigEd »
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)