Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pirelli VS Metz  (Read 115 times)

Offline Tman21

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • The I was like braaaap!
Pirelli VS Metz
« on: August 15, 2019, 01:17:10 pm »
Hi Guys, another taaier thread.

Please bear with me,  Got the bike 600km ago but its got sport shoes on made for the black top.  Im dying to go offroad, nothing hectic but at least want something adequate.  Found a guy on the road 2 weeks ago with a set of Scorpions and he swears by them and on the other end I cannot find any negative review about the Karoo 3 street which ive also been advised to fit.

I would like to lean towards safety on tar, wet and dry.  Id also like to think that id manage just fine for the offroad I have in mind with both tyres although Ive only used E07's offroad before.  I tend to behave offroad due to the financial implications involved and sometimes carry the langhaar on the back.
Your opinions and views around these 2 if you have any experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers T

Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .

Offline Ian Bean

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
Re: Pirelli VS Metz
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:47:57 pm »
I have those Pirelli  str on my gs and am totally happy with them. I didnt want a very offroad tire that was noisy or not stable on tar and the pirelli is quite on tar and stable. I have just ordered another rear tire and will replace front with same. Great tire imo.

The following users thanked this post: Tman21

Offline Tman21

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »
I have those Pirelli  str on my gs and am totally happy with them. I didnt want a very offroad tire that was noisy or not stable on tar and the pirelli is quite on tar and stable. I have just ordered another rear tire and will replace front with same. Great tire imo.

Not that it would be a deciding factor but what kinda mileage dos the rear give? I donr commute but when i do short distances on tar I oike using the bikes Torque.

Offline Ian Bean

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:24:10 pm »
I reckon I will get about 8k out of back tire. I have done 5k and still a lot tread left just putting new tire for the gs trophy weekend.

Offline Tman21

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 09:30:27 pm »
Hreat atuff!

Offline Tman21

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:17 am »
If any of you have 10min to read on this subject inform yourself here.  Excellent write up without pushing any brand locally by locals for our bikes.

http://www.hambanani.co.za/downloads/Tyre-Test-August-2016.pdf

Im fitting the Karoo Street this week.

Online OomD

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:36:42 am »
I've always fitted the Karoo3, brilliant (albeit a bit noisy) tyres for offroad for my limited skill set. I used to get about 8000km on my rear, much more on the front. Before a trip to hell, baviaans, etc a while back I could not find the Karoo3 in stock anywhere, so used the Pirelli Scorpion Rally. They also performed very well, maybe better offroad than the Karoo's due to their larger blocks. On road was still perfect too, and I got the same mileage. Was less noisy on the road than the Karoo.

I'd fit any of those two again in a heartbeat, both a brilliant buy. You won't be wrong with any of those two.