Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 510 SMR project. Cooling system? pg2  (Read 873 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
510 SMR project. Cooling system? pg2
« on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:23 pm »
Guys.  Might need some advice on a couple things with this little bike.

My buddy bought this 510 SMR a while back for next to nothing.  From memory the CDI or whatever was fried. Another friend was running a bike shop at the time and sorted it all out for him, including a new head gasket.

He rode it a couple times but it's been sitting for ages, seemingly outdoors. He has asked me to get it sorted for him, and I can ride it whenever I want which is cool. He's also heading to the states early next year, and says I can "inherit" it when he goes.

Picked it up yesterday and got it started this morning. Oil level  and coolant level was fine so I let it run a bit and it seems to be good there. I'm sure I'll pick up little things along the way but so far:

- No rear brakes. The fluid in the reservoir is very low and the dust boot on the master cylinder piston was a bit wet, so I figure it's leaking. What are the chances I get away with just adding new fluid and bleeding?   
It's a Brembo master, are their rebuild kits for these?

- Missing 3 spokes on the rear wheel. How I have no idea. A bunch of the spoke nipples, front and rear, are a bit corroded....how bad is this? I Have never had a dirt bike or anythung like this so I don't know much about it.
Will I have to buy spokes for an entire wheel or can I just replace the 3?

Gonna change the oil and filter anyway, just because it's been sitting. I know these things are pretty highly strung?
It's still the older carb version.  Is there any "uncorking" procedure for these things?  Any pipes from other bikes that'll fit?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:49:12 am by Roadhawg »

Offline Roadhawg

Re: 510 SMR project
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 08:40:06 pm »
Chain, new rear tyre and battery will come this week to I reckon.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:27 pm »
Anybody know where I can find spokes for this thing?

Offline BuRP

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:28:44 pm »
I'd try Offroad Cycles / Runner's shop first, they have way more than what one expects.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 02:32:41 pm »
Anybody know where I can find spokes for this thing?
Bikers Warehouse is a Husky agent in GP. Check with them if you can buy them loose. :thumleft:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:42:35 pm »
The exhaust appears to be aftermarket. At least the header and mid pipe.

Post a pic of the outlet / endcap. :thumleft:

Arrow made full systems for the Huskies. :thumleft:

TK did mentioned that the Arrow can he has for the 610 TE was restrictive. You can gut it. ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:44:31 pm by chopperpilot »

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 03:02:38 pm »
Took the can off last night and it's not a "straight through" pipe.   Looking from the inner section out it's got a really funny shape perforated baffle in there.  Wondering if I should pull it out....Just don't feel like fiddling with the carb to make it run right afterward though.

Will post some more pics of the bits and pieces.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 03:21:27 pm »
Took the can off last night and it's not a "straight through" pipe.   Looking from the inner section out it's got a really funny shape perforated baffle in there.  Wondering if I should pull it out....Just don't feel like fiddling with the carb to make it run right afterward though.

Will post some more pics of the bits and pieces.
Take it to Paul / "Toto", to sort it out for you. Pipe/carb, and what ever. :thumleft:

Speak to TK or Straatkat for contact details.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 03:30:15 pm »
Gotcha.

For now I just want to make it safe, with the new rear tyre, chain and sorting the spoke issue out....I think the spokes are gonna be the hardest to sort out. 

Offline Ganjora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 03:42:35 pm »
That's quite a commuter you have there.
 :thumleft:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 04:06:07 pm »
That's quite a commuter you have there.
 :thumleft:

Unfortunately the commuter currently is the Ranger :biggrin:

But yeh I REALLY want to get this thing running. It seems fine mechanically so it's just the bits I mentioned, and then some make pretty bits at some time. Trying to find out if he even has papers for it.

Offline miks

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 09:06:17 pm »
Guys.  Might need some advice on a couple things with this little bike.

My buddy bought this 510 SMR a while back for next to nothing.  From memory the CDI or whatever was fried. Another friend was running a bike shop at the time and sorted it all out for him, including a new head gasket.

He rode it a couple times but it's been sitting for ages, seemingly outdoors. He has asked me to get it sorted for him, and I can ride it whenever I want which is cool. He's also heading to the states early next year, and says I can "inherit" it when he goes.

Picked it up yesterday and got it started this morning. Oil level  and coolant level was fine so I let it run a bit and it seems to be good there. I'm sure I'll pick up little things along the way but so far:

- No rear brakes. The fluid in the reservoir is very low and the dust boot on the master cylinder piston was a bit wet, so I figure it's leaking. What are the chances I get away with just adding new fluid and bleeding?   
It's a Brembo master, are their rebuild kits for these?

- Missing 3 spokes on the rear wheel. How I have no idea. A bunch of the spoke nipples, front and rear, are a bit corroded....how bad is this? I Have never had a dirt bike or anythung like this so I don't know much about it.
Will I have to buy spokes for an entire wheel or can I just replace the 3?

Gonna change the oil and filter anyway, just because it's been sitting. I know these things are pretty highly strung?
It's still the older carb version.  Is there any "uncorking" procedure for these things?  Any pipes from other bikes that'll fit?

Nice project man! Keen to see how this goes  :thumleft:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 09:33:58 am »
I've never fiddled with Spokes before.  How do you replace them? Take the tyre off the rim?

A couple are missing just the spoke but the nipple is still in the rim....can I just put a new spoke into the old nipple?  One the actual nipple is missing too.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:34:50 am by Roadhawg »

Offline BuRP

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 11:12:39 am »
One the actual nipple is missing too.

That does it.... take tyre off!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 11:23:19 am »
I've never fiddled with Spokes before.  How do you replace them? Take the tyre off the rim?

A couple are missing just the spoke but the nipple is still in the rim....can I just put a new spoke into the old nipple?  One the actual nipple is missing too.

If the nipple is missing you will have to remove the tyre, tube, rim tape - the nipple is inserted from the inside....

Post some pics of the hub where the missing spokes are, as well as the whole wheel and we should be able to tell....

I recently did a spoke job and it's an interesting learning curve! Not difficult, just time consuming - along with truing the wheel.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 11:24:24 am »
I took the whole wheel to Biker's Warehouse.

Those OEM spokes are discontinued, and there's a fair bit of corrosion on the nipples.  So they are gonna see what they can find and see if they can replace just the missing ones, or if it needs a whole new set and relace.   Arg.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:36 am »

If the nipple is missing you will have to remove the tyre, tube, rim tape - the nipple is inserted from the inside....

Post some pics of the hub where the missing spokes are, as well as the whole wheel and we should be able to tell....

I recently did a spoke job and it's an interesting learning curve! Not difficult, just time consuming - along with truing the wheel.....

Yeah I'd like to do it myself, but I don't have any of the tools or a stand to true it, so I'd rather let someone else who knows what they're doing do it the right way the first time.  Problem is parts right now.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 07:42:27 pm »
Check with @Neo_za , regarding the spokes.

He had plenty Husky 610 SM parts, that might have gone to the new owner.

Offline miks

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 12:40:13 pm »
How is this coming along Stu?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:25 am »
How is this coming along Stu?

Got the wheel back from Bikers warehouse and installed yesterday.   PAIN IN THE ARSE getting a fat 17inch wheel back into what is essentially a dirtbike swingarm i tell ya!!

They replaced 4 spokes and trued the wheel.  A bunch of the nipples are pretty corroded though, so I reckon at some point it'll be worth re-doing both rims completely. But for now it'll do.

Im away this weekend, so gonna change the oil quick next week, new battery, chain and rear tyre on the weekend and it should be functional at least.  Then a bit or prettying up, new grips and a bunch of new bolts etc.

VERY keen to get it riding.    Saving up for emergency room bills thouhg :laughing4: