Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 510 SMR project. Cooling system? pg2  (Read 857 times)

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I tried the XR, but the twin Rules!
Re: 510 SMR project
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 01:53:24 pm »
How is this coming along Stu?

Got the wheel back from Bikers warehouse and installed yesterday.   PAIN IN THE ARSE getting a fat 17inch wheel back into what is essentially a dirtbike swingarm i tell ya!!

They replaced 4 spokes and trued the wheel.  A bunch of the nipples are pretty corroded though, so I reckon at some point it'll be worth re-doing both rims completely. But for now it'll do.

Im away this weekend, so gonna change the oil quick next week, new battery, chain and rear tyre on the weekend and it should be functional at least.  Then a bit or prettying up, new grips and a bunch of new bolts etc.

VERY keen to get it riding.    Saving up for emergency room bills thouhg :laughing4:
Don't worry, yours is the pre-KTM model.  Ride safe anyway.   :thumleft:
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 09:21:14 am »
This thing's been messing with me.

Got the wheel back on, and want to change the oil.  Wanted to at least warm the oil a bit before draining to get it all out.  Starts up, idles for 5s and dies.  Crank crank crank refuses to start.

Recharge battery, next day same thing.

I think the float in the bowl is stuck open and flooding it. If you leave the fuel tap open and put the bike on the side stand, fuel pisses out the overflow.   I've only had 10-15mins here and there this week to look at it though which is more frustrating than anything.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 07:51:34 pm »
You mentioned the bike stood for long.

The carb will definitely need  some work, such as removal and complete strip down before cleaning.

If you haven't stripped and cleaned a carb before, take your time in doing so, and learn something new!

Aerosol Carb Cleaner to clean. Some boil the carb in lemon juice!

Check all jets are open and clean.

Check operation of needle valve. Some have a rubber tip, which could be damaged.

There is a guy in KZN who stocks most carb spares, and ships overnight. Will have to do some digging in the grey matter, to retrieve the data!

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 08:21:49 am »
i want one as well! that looks like fun.

definitely strip and clean the carb, or start meditation yoga and  cage fighting to stay sane
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:21 am »
Jut need a day to work on the bloody thing.

Got massive space issues at home, long bloody story, but the thing is sitting outside at the moment, so I can't strip it and come back the next day to finish.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 10:17:08 am »
Jut need a day to work on the bloody thing.

Got massive space issues at home, long bloody story, but the thing is sitting outside at the moment, so I can't strip it and come back the next day to finish.
Sounds like my garage, it's either the car or bike spares  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »
Ok.  I managed to pull the fuel tank off yesterday. I thought that would make taking the carb out easier, but it looks like it makes almost no difference.

I poked around a bit, filled the tank with fuel and put it back on, and the bike fired right up.  So I'm kinda hesitant to pull the carb off now.

There is grey gasket maker on the intake boot (between the engine and the carb) and the airbox looks like it has fatigue cracks too.  So I'm terrified that with all the squishing that's going to be involved removing the carb, one or both of those are going to fall to pieces.

I think I'm going to let it idle a bit, get the oil warm to drain it and refill with a new filter. And then take it for a new chain.

I also need to sort out the rear brake, but the amount of corrosion on this thing, I dunno if just new fluid and a bleed will do it.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 08:48:07 am »
Changed the oil and filter and cleaned the screens yesterday.  Some bits of grey gasket maker in some of the screens but I know the head gasket was changed on the last oil change so maybe some remnants, nothing hectic though.

Took it for a spin round the block....What a laugh. The thing is mental.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Questions though:
-Coolant reserve bottle under the carb.....It's empty. I'm finding conflicting info about whether it's an actual part of the cooling system or just an overflow bottle for if/when the thing boils itself.   The Workshop manual isn't very helpful on this either....just says it must be "less than half full".....Well empty is less than half full :eek7:

- Rear brake. There's a lot of corrosion on the pin holding the pads in...I bled the brake yesterday and can feel the caliper shifts when I operate the pedal but there is almost no braking when riding the thing (front is STRONG though!!!).  Any ideas what to check?  Just keep bleeding it?

Offline BuRP

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 11:14:21 am »
just says it must be "less than half full".....Well empty is less than half full

That thing IS a coolant expansion vessel if the radiator overflow comes in at the bottom i.e under the liquid level.
This cold liquid condenses the vapours coming in, and the liquid will reverse (without any air!) into the rads when the lot cools off.
FILL IT halfway is my advice, manuals are hardly ever wrong!

As to the rear brake, take the pads out and soak them in thinners, a generous quantity - to take out any grease which may be soaked in them.
Also clean the disc with thinners, and when you're in there check the caliper for functionality (like, push piston(s) back in by hand - they go easy enough?)
Let the pads dry in the sun after some hours soaking, reassemble (a lil copaslip can't do harm at the back-of-pads, on the various pins&clips etc) and test.
If it won't work better buy a new leg so you can actually put force on the pedal  :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:21:19 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 11:27:06 am »
just says it must be "less than half full".....Well empty is less than half full

That thing IS a coolant expansion vessel if the radiator overflow comes in at the bottom i.e under the liquid level.
This cold liquid condenses the vapours coming in, and the liquid will reverse (without any air!) into the rads when the lot cools off.
FILL IT halfway is my advice, manuals are hardly ever wrong!

As to the rear brake, take the pads out and soak them in thinners, a generous quantity - to take out any grease which may be soaked in them.
Also clean the disc with thinners, and when you're in there check the caliper for functionality (like, push piston(s) back in by hand - they go easy enough?)
Let the pads dry in the sun after some hours soaking, reassemble (a lil copaslip can't do harm at the back-of-pads, on the various pins&clips etc) and test.
If it won't work better buy a new leg so you can actually put force on the pedal  :P

Thanks.  Maybe it is a good idea to then refill the whole coolint system.  I have no idea what coolant is in there. Lemme check and see what the manual recommends.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 12:26:19 pm »
Maybe it is a good idea to then refill the whole coolint system.  I have no idea what coolant is in there. Lemme check and see what the manual recommends.

Always a good idea - perhaps flush the (already drained!) system then too?
Hosepipe in radcap, open at the drainpoint (bolt on/near waterpump cover? Dunno this bike), tap open et presto, let it run all out - perhaps take a hose off so the flow will be greater.
Then remove hosepipe and wiggle/lean the bike so all water comes out, perhaps a quick blow it with compressed air if you've got it.
Check manual for coolant quantity, then buy (KTM or Toyota) coolant, fill and de-air if required (refer your manual for this).

Before you start it I'd wash the lot and let it dry completely.
This way if you'll see 'water' you'll know it's coolant  ;)
If it's got a fan let it run until fan comes on then must go off. If not >> problem!
If all's fine take it to the nearest park with a gorgeous grass lawn and go dig some trenches there  :lol8:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Roadhawg

Re: 510 SMR project. Cooling system? pg2
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 03:43:13 pm »
I don't actually remember if it has a fan or not. I didn't have a very good look yesterday, but I'll check it out.

These were kinda race bikes for the street.....I told my mate to rather find a 610, but he went full retard on the 510.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 08:43:15 am »
Ok yeh, no fan.   Just like a flipping dirt bike.

Struggling with the rear brake still.  Bled it some more, still soft as shite.    The pad retainer pin is pretty corroded. I can spin it on it's axis but I can't get the bloody thing out to check the pads or caliper pistons.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 10:31:14 am »
Ok.   Intake Manifold discontinued apparently. Biker's Warehouse can't help.

Where else can I find Husky parts?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 11:07:04 am »
Ok.   Intake Manifold discontinued apparently. Biker's Warehouse can't help.

Where else can I find Husky parts?
@TK

Tony. Can you assist with a supplier?
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE