Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Bash and a few Ben's  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Dwerg

A Bash and a few Ben's
« on: August 17, 2019, 10:00:41 pm »
A few of us met up for a ride down to the KZN bash. Myself, @MonkeyNot , @bud500 , @GeVarlik and @quicksilver met up a garage on the R25 past Bapsfontein.

In this foto LTR: @bud500 , Myself, @quicksilver

We almost immediately got onto the dirt and rode past Redstar Raceway direction roughly Greylingstad. We stopped at a chicken farm somewhere along the route for some chicken biltong (not as bad as you'd think) and a quick refreshment.

In this photo FLTR: @MonkeyNot , @bud500 , me, @quicksilver

Back on the road, the next refreshment stop was just outside of Greylingstad. I noticed that my bike reached it's first birthday and *someone* promptly lit him a candle.

We also briefly met @Bobby Chang here who was riding in a group behind us with @Slaaiblaar and a few others.

We set off again past Greylingstad, hit a left on the tar and took the first dirt road to the right. Excuse the lack of detail and photos but at this stage I was just riding along with the group, enjoying being back on a trip for the first time in over a year. I am usually very slack with photo's. Apart from him being my brother, he's camera happy and it's another reason why I love going on trips with @Noneking and anyone who's read his reports will understand. I did try a little harder on the second part of the trip so stay with me. I even have video or two.

We eventually rolled into Vrede and as we do, headed straight for the pub. Who invited he guy on the BMW?

Apparently we are not welcome but they let us in anyway and ended up being super friendly.

As you'd guess in a group with a few KTMs, it's inevitable that someones bike would need attention. We didn't expect it to @GeVarlik 's BMW and borrowing tools from a KTM rider no less >:D

Just a loose bracket but we'll take it.

After a few cold ones and sarmies all round, we made the decision to take the tar to Memel to get on with the business of Bash V0.1.

In front of the Memel hotel

Bash V0.1 was a big party with some great food and atmosphere at the restaurant next to the hotel. I ate the most delicious oxtail.... I'm told.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:13:29 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

Re: A Bash and a few Ben's
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:20:59 pm »
We were all a little slow to get going that morning, especially me. I had a piece of wire through my tyre. Thanks to tubeless it was sorted in no time.

Notice the SE on the trailer in the background of the top pic? OrangeSwifty who'd ridden down with @Kevin_ZA had a wiring issue messing with his fuel pump. This was sorted in Newcastle by our token BMW rider, @GeVarlik . O yeah that's why we invited him....

From Memel we left towards Normandien pass led out by uncle @Kevin_ZA. The weather was cool ad misty

The Legend and The New Kid

The mist got worse as we ascended.

Still beautiful though

The picture doesn't show it but visibility was less than 10m in paces

The summit

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:18:56 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:28:53 pm »
We eventually all met up in Newcastle to get some warm coffee while @Orangeswifty and @GeVarlik sorted out his bike.

I was in a rush to get going so I set off on my own on tar. It was cold, wet and misty so it was a bit of a crappy ride down to Richards Bay. Still better than a good day in the office.

This is my only pic for that ride. Some wild horses

After arriving at the bash and checking in, I got a chalet and it had the best view.

KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:46:50 pm »
I don't have anything to add bash wise except that it's one of the best I've been to and we took part in the usual bash stuff: drinking and laughing.

Next up: My solo 5 day return trip around Lesotho. But that will have to wait for tomorrow
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:47:25 pm by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 11:24:44 pm »
Lekker Dwerg.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 11:26:04 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 07:15:12 am »
Warning: Solo trip is code for ďA lot of pictures of the writerís bikeĒ.

For all the ADHD sufferers, I promise this will be the wordiest part of the RR. Iíll try to keep that to a minimum going forward.

Now just a bit of background for those that donít know, I was in a crash last year that severely injured my left foot. Iím recovered now and this would be my first multiple day ride and really apart from a few quick dashes, my first dirt ride since Namibia last year June. Or was it July? The idea was to ride something familiar to ease myself back into things, regain my confidence and so on. Itís also been 5 years since Iíve owned a bigger ADV bike so it was an adjustment in that regard too.

So with a hangover on a level that only a bash can provide, I set off with my KTM My Ride app set for Nottingham Road. Iíve never been patient enough to learn how to use a GPS properly and I quite like being able to punch a town into my phone and have the turn by turn NAV on my dash. My chosen route home was also selected because I knew the roads well enough to be able to make my way should all electronic devices fail me.

I reached Nottingham Road a lot earlier than expected and had a nice red ale plus a lovely porter at Notties Brewery. The plan en route was to find accommodation in Nottingham Road but it was around 1oíclock by the time Iíd finished my beers so I decided to push on to Himeville via Lower Lotheni. Itís a very scenic and easy ride and highly recommended. Iíd done it once before on the bike and once in a car. It still didnít disappoint.

Even though I have the lowest KTM dual ever made, I still sometimes can't get a foot down properly

Storm in the east. Luckily my route was south west

I arrived in Himeville and checked into the famous Himeville arms. I honestly don't know why so many people stay there. In short, it's an overpriced dump. I'll elaborate on costs at the end of the report
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:27:03 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:22:28 am »
Lekker Midget het klaar meeste van die pics gesien maar ek lees nou jou storie.  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Online Noneking

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 07:23:13 am »
Sub
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 08:10:54 am »
Congrats with that 10 000 mark, nice report.

That Bud500 is a giant!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:51:07 am by 2StrokeDan »

The following users thanked this post: Dwerg

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:24 am »
I had a terrible sleep getting at most two hours, a theme that would carry through for the rest of the trip. I was keen to depart at sunrise but it was way too cold for that and I probably only left around 10 oíclock. The only plan for the day was to get to Elliot area and to book into Mountain Shadows hotel.

I set my KTM My Ride on shortest route to Elliot and head off. The first tar section after Underberg was beautiful.

I then got onto some nice dirt that skips out the Kokstad tar section.

I got back onto the tar at Matatiele. After Mount Fletcher it was time for a drinks stop.

From there I continued past Mount Fletcher and Maclear. The tar all the way from Matat to Ugie is just endless sweeping bends. Great fun. In Ugie I was desperate for a coffee but the only coffee shop I could find was closed on Mondays. I pushed on and just outside of Ugie I noticed a dirt road to the right and just after that, a cement bridge over the tar road which looked very familiar. I instantly knew where that dirt road lead and thought stuff this easing in business, letís do it.

Anyone recognise this road?

How about this gate?

Itís the start of Bastervoetpad and would be my first of the Benís for this trip.

From here I need to do a bit of video editing but first, Sunday breakfast run. I'll continue this afternoon.
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline skydiver

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 08:16:40 am »
 :sip:
Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS

Offline Exploratio

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 08:20:02 am »
Sub.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Exploratio

• Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 08:23:17 am »
Congrats with that 10 000 mark, nie report.

That Bud500 is a giant!
You have no idea
Both in stature and personality.

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 08:53:14 am »
Congrats with that 10 000 mark, nie report.

That Bud500 is a giant!
You have no idea
Both in stature and personality.

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Online katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 08:56:36 am »
Sub
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 09:15:47 am »
Nice Gooi!!
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Online 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 09:22:21 am »
Nice Gooi!!

Ja Dwerg, gooi! Ek wil saam met jou bastervoetpad ry.

Online Noneking

A Bash and a few Ben's
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 09:46:44 am »
ďI then got onto some nice dirt that skips out the Kokstad tar section. ď

Swartberg pad.... baie mooi stukkie pad om al daai teer uit te sny......hom ook al paar maal gery. Eerste keer met kar grootte slaggate aan die Matat kant...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:47:51 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 10:22:30 am »
Lekker  :thumleft:
FTS