Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Bash and a few Ben's  (Read 1369 times)

Offline OomD

Re: A Bash and a few Ben's
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »
Ek ry saam  :ricky:

Lekker RR sover, Dwerg. :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 03:06:21 pm »
Hou op rond tos en skryf :sip: :imaposer:

Daardie KTM val heeltemal horisontaal, mens sou dink die panniers sou hom bietjie tilt. Met die effens laer enjin en tenk gewig, is dit maklik(er) om weer regop te tel?
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 03:21:49 pm »
Straight away on Bastervoet there were some rocky sections. As is usually the case, the pictures and videos donít capture the worst of it and what you do capture gets flattened out. Or does it just feel worse when you ride it? At least I took some pictures and video which is a step forward.

It's much rougher than the last time we rode it (or a part of it anyway). I know that for sure because at that time I wouldn't have been able to ride terrain like this. I was still really nervous being my first taste of technical riding in a long time plus on my brand new bike which I was really scared of damaging. At first I went way too slow and was just bouncing all over the place. This picture was again a short leg issue but I stopped here because I couldn't keep a line and wanted to stop to reset my attitude a little.

Here is a comparison of this trip versus our last. I made a point of trying to get the shot in the same place as the original photo. Came pretty close.

Videos to follow once they are done uploading but beware, in HD itís quite big.
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 03:23:42 pm »
Hou op rond tos en skryf :sip: :imaposer:

Daardie KTM val heeltemal horisontaal, mens sou dink die panniers sou hom bietjie tilt. Met die effens laer enjin en tenk gewig, is dit maklik(er) om weer regop te tel?

Met die bagasie so hoog gelaai tilt hy oor maar gewoonlik sal sy bande nog grond raak. Hy tel heel ok op. Nou nie met een hand soos 'n 690 nie  :lol8:
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 03:42:03 pm »
This is about half an hour to forty minutes into the pass, probably something like halfway to the top. I chose this part of the clip because out of the whole recording it gives the best overall view of what the pass is like. In the recording cut out before this I was able to keep much better pace which made the riding easier but it totally sapped what little energy a couch potato beer drinker like me has to start off with.

KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 04:06:47 pm »
This is another 20 minutes or so later. By now I was totally exhausted and probably somewhat dehydrated. I was riding terrible lines and when coming round the corner, I spotted the easy line to the right and wanted to go for it but ended up in the rut where I got stuck.

*If you re offended by foul language, mute or don't watch.

**Apologies for the sniffing. And the mustache.

This is the photo I took at the end of the clip.

Look towards the top of the pic. The rocky section to follow round the bend was one of the hardest sections of the pass. It was like a short section of coconuts at De Wildt. For those who don't know De Wildt, the name coconuts should be explanatory enough.

From this position I pulled the bike backwards into back into the rut and dropped it HARD on the rocks. The bike was hit on the top tank shroud right where the radiator is positioned. Between that and the other falls in rocks, I can assure you these tanks on the 790 are super tough but not only that, they do a great job to protect the engine, radiator and foot controls.

At the top.

The last part of the pass and the short downhill part were easy after having a really tough afternoon. Bastervoet isn't unrideable by any stretch of the imagination but it's pretty relentless if you are not fit. It's not short rough sections followed by long smooth stretches to catch your breath, it's rough constantly. I suspect down will be somewhat easier if you want to tick it off your list. I'd say there are maybe 4 or so really hard sections but still manageable.

I got to Mountain Shadows, had a quick shower and went to the bar for a well deserved drink.

While sitting at the bar, looking out the window, a BMW LT came up the rough gravel driveway and I remember how solid and unphased the rider looked. The rider later also come into the bar and we struck up a conversation. It turned out to be WD member @1Up4Adv and we spent the evening next to the fireplace, chatting about traveling and philosophies for a fulfilled life. What an interesting and inspirational individual. If you haven't read his thread in the sailing section, do yourself a favour.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:48:29 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 05:18:28 pm »
Lekke!! :thumleft: :drif:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 05:43:11 pm »
After another night of very little sleep, I got going around 9:30-45 again because it was just too cold to ride earlier. I headed over Barkley pass (Ben number 2) to Elliot. What a fun pass to ride.

This pic was actually taken the previous afternoon. I rode to go have a beer at the bar where @GlenInk used to work but they were not open.

From Elliot I rode to Ugie and the same tar all the way back to Maclear.

From Maclear I headed for Naudeís nek (Ben number 3). The gravel road just outside Maclear was quite rough but the pass itself was in great condition. They even fitted Armco barriers on some corners.

I switched the GOPRO on thinking I was busy going up the pass. Turns out I wasnít and obviously didnít switch it on again when I did reach the pass.

Pass up ahead

View back down to the previous photo

And the must have pic at the sign. My 3rd one but the first time Iíve ridden the past from east to west.

From here I turned onto TTT with the idea of going all the way up to Ben Macdui but 100m in, I stopped and thought about it for a bit. I was sleep deprived, my body was aching and I really wasnít riding at my best so I turned around and continued down to Rhodes. I got to Rhodes somewhere between 12 and 1. I stopped to ask a very nice local guy for directions to Walkerbouts (thatís how tired I was. I got lost in RHODES!), and as small town folk do, we had a 45 minute conversation, mostly about the town. He told me about the floods they had which made me glad I decided not to go up to Tiffendell. This is the Rhodes camp site. Those stones on either side of the river used to have a bridge attached to it but it was washed away in the flash floods.

I eventually booked into Walkerbouts and being the only person there, I finally found the solitude Iíd been looking for on the trip.

KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 06:50:35 pm »
So same story, got very little sleep, it was cold and I only got going just before 10. Route for the day was Lundean's Nek (Ben number 4) and dirt all the way to Telle Bridge.

Rhodes gets really cold. The local I spoke to told me it went down to -21 this winter.

I think someone forgot their sprinklers on over night

View just outside Rhodes

The bridge after the Lundean's  Moshesh's Ford split

Climb just before Lundean's

Going up Lundeans was quite rough and a lot shorter than I remember it. View from the top

I was comfortable on the dirt for the first time on the trip

From Telle it was a quick blast to Zastron. I stopped at the Maluti Hotel in Zastron where we've stayed on a previous trip and had a chat with the owner Eben. We had a coffee and he showed me around the place and all the renovations they've been doing. He remembered me as the guy who took a pic with his dog and sent it to him shortly before it passed away. Very nice guy and they are really putting in some effort in the Hotel. Best of all is bikers only pay 300 rand per night including breakfast so if you are ever in the area, please consider staying over with him.

From there I set my KTM My Ride on Clarens and set cruise control to illegal.

After the obligatory Clarens Brewery beers, I checked into the backpackers and finally got to braai! I'd been wanting to camp and braai the whole trip but it was just too cold.

I got up the next morning and was desperate to get home and even though it was still very cold in Clarens, I left at 8:30 and was stopped in front of my house at 11:30 including a coffee stop at the Villiers One Stop.

It took 2600kms but I think my head is now reasonably clear again  :ricky:

As mentioned earlier, here are the accommodation costs:

Walkerbouts: R450 very decent room, nice new clean linen, en suite including full breakfast
Mountain Shadows: R760 nicely updated room, cnice new clean linen, including 3 course dinner and breakfast. R500 without meals.
Himeville Arms: R690 including crappy bed with dodgy bathroom, excluding bath towel, no shower, bath only. At least the shitty staff attitude was free.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:51:40 pm by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 07:01:36 pm »
Very nice RR Dwerg!  :thumleft:

Any new opinions about the 790? pos or neg?

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 07:36:31 pm »

Nothing new really. The rough sections where I ran out of energy were the worst. The bike can feel very harsh and deflect off objects, generally a hand full when you ride slowly on rough stuff. But at the same time if you attack obstacles itís great. The distance was just a pleasure and itís a lot of fun on tar.

The major thing for me is how little damage it took when dropping it. Any other brand wouldíve had major damage. I have a few superficial scratches that donít even warrant an insurance claim
KTM 690R, 790ADV

The following users thanked this post: Bundu

Online Saddle Up

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »
Lekker Dwerg. Dit is maar n bliksem om weer comfy te raak op n fiets na n val, goed van jou om die ride aangevat het.
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 07:49:11 pm »
Lekker Dwerg. Dit is maar n bliksem om weer comfy te raak op n fiets na n val, goed van jou om die ride aangevat het.

Dankie. Ek ry darem al van Januarie af en is fine op teer maar eks so bang vir my voet op die grond. Maar ek dink ek is nou amptelik oor dit. Nou net weer bietjie fiks raak
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 08:00:52 pm »

Nothing new really. The rough sections where I ran out of energy were the worst. The bike can feel very harsh and deflect off objects, generally a hand full when you ride slowly on rough stuff. But at the same time if you attack obstacles itís great. The distance was just a pleasure and itís a lot of fun on tar.

The major thing for me is how little damage it took when dropping it. Any other brand wouldíve had major damage. I have a few superficial scratches that donít even warrant an insurance claim

So jy sÍ die 790 val soos 'n DR650 :imaposer:

Sterkte met die voet, en moet hom nie ontsien nie. Met die verdikking van die aangegroeide bene is die voet waarskynlik sterker as voorheen, en sal nie weer daar breek nie. Na 'n jaar is die letsel al wat oorgebly het van my breuk en ek is baie dankbaar daaroor.

Dankie vir die foto's en die RR :ricky:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Noneking

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 08:40:25 pm »

Canít recall now..... is the suspension adjustable on the adv?

Iíve also been impressed with how little/ no damage my bike has picked up from dropping it on very rocky climbs
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 09:00:17 pm »

Canít recall now..... is the suspension adjustable on the adv?

Iíve also been impressed with how little/ no damage my bike has picked up from dropping it on very rocky climbs

Non adjustable. My biggest gripe with the bike. Apex forks on the SMC are though
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 09:32:14 pm »
Lekker thanks for sharing  :thumleft:
FTS

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 09:41:34 am »
Lekker RR

Is the rear shock also non adjustable? Rebound and Compression?
Pass this way once!

Offline Stichhom

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 09:54:43 am »
Dankie Dwerg. Dis n fantastiese RR en geniet dit vreeslik baie. Die video van Bastervoetpas is ongelooflik. Jy laat dit so maklik lyk - jy ry soos n Pro!
Well done! Groete
Keep a cool head - life is precious!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 10:01:14 am »
Lekker RR

Is the rear shock also non adjustable? Rebound and Compression?

Rear shock is only adjustable for preload
KTM 690R, 790ADV

The following users thanked this post: Catchy