Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Debate from Ride Report about Eco impact  (Read 2519 times)

Online Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
Re: Debate from Ride Report about Eco impact
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2019, 11:12:32 am »
I ride on tar. (it is of course irrelevant that the tar was laid over once pristine country side, now for ever spoiled)
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline BuRP

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2019, 11:27:35 am »
I am one up on you Dan

Most of us have Dux, as we're not allergic to and can tolerate round emblems with the colours white, black and blue
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2019, 08:24:01 pm »
I am one up on you Dan , I rode over an HP2 once  :biggrin:

well done and congratulations!
 :thumleft:

Must have felt like climbing a mountain. :ricky:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »
I ride on tar. (it is of course irrelevant that the tar was laid over once pristine country side, now for ever spoiled)

:thumleft: :thumleft: a few evenings ago, a friend of my wife was ranting about some ecological disaster, and I was thinking "ow, here you sit and moan about the ecology, yet you fly overseas at least 4 times a year"

In the worst-polluting vehicles on earth. ::)

Online Dux

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 07:11:33 am »

:thumleft: :thumleft: a few evenings ago, a friend of my wife was ranting about some ecological disaster, and I was thinking "ow, here you sit and moan about the ecology, yet you fly overseas at least 4 times a year"

In the worst-polluting vehicles on earth. ::)

It is like the vegetarian that was berating me for murdering animals , she shut up very quickly when I asked her where the leather for her handbag came from   :biggrin:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2019, 07:33:05 am »
No way, I can't believe ........................... you got a righteous woman to shut up?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Highsider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2019, 08:06:48 am »
Hi guys, please educate me a bit on this tracks in the desert thing...  am I reading it right that tracks left on the Desert are offensive / wrong because of the AESTHETIC “impact” and not because of any “legitimate” environmental impact like some endangered daisy or dung beetle which happens to populate such spaces 1 per 1000 square km?
Have we become so ignorant as to believe that the earth needs to be preserved as is for future generations, that we really have control over it?  Mankind has in total only been in existence on earth for a minute tiny infinitesimal fraction of the billions and billions of years of earths  existence.  Had we been around for any significant period of time we would have seen with dismay the same area turn from rainforest to desert, from mountains to seabeds and so on for eons into the distant past, in time frames we cannot begin to comprehend, and so it will be into the future, long after mankind has ceased to exist. 
So please educate me because I’m struggling to understand how a few tracks left in the desert will collapse an entire ecosystem and cause the world to disintegrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Online DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2019, 08:08:37 am »
Jammer ek heti geweti

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2019, 08:10:37 am »
Ok so what I take away from this is that we are all hypocrites to some degree, Gerrard rides on tar roads, thereby spoiling the pristine countryside it was built on, and some vegetarian chick is using leather stuff even though she deplores the killing of animals....and Cracker has something to say about that! Very sad world out there. Oh I almost forgot, Hardy is responsible for organizing tours that give some guys the time of their lives, but in doing so he can now be blamed for global warming.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Online Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 08:17:41 am »
Ok so what I take away from this is that we are all hypocrites to some degree, Gerrard rides on tar roads, thereby spoiling the pristine countryside it was built on, and some vegetarian chick is using leather stuff even though she deplores the killing of animals....and Cracker has something to say about that! Very sad world out there. Oh I almost forgot, Hardy is responsible for organizing tours that give some guys the time of their lives, but in doing so he can now be blamed for global warming.

En dan is daar die pragtige berge wat opgegrawe word om die staal te kry sodat jy vir ons sulke mooi messe kan maak.  :lol8:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 08:34:05 am »
In a thousand years , some archaeologist will say those tracks were from a white tribe of nomads mass immigrating from a wild lawless country.
It will become a protected area.
 :lol8:
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2019, 08:44:08 am »
In a thousand years , some archaeologist will say those tracks were from a white tribe of nomads mass immigrating from a wild lawless country.
It will become a protected area.
 :lol8:

Trust a WD to turn a - into a + :lol8: :lol8:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline BuRP

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00:50 am »
In the worst-polluting vehicles on earth.

Ehh no, that will be the large ships cruising our oceans.
Per person a plane uses less fuel than one does in a car, came also as a surprise for me.
Mind though, if that plane is spraying chemicals along the way (chemtrails) for unknown reasons and/or climate control then yeah, I agree with that statement.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2019, 11:06:59 am »

That about covers it.. I do enjoy a good debate every now and again but it is very difficult to win a debate about preserving an area where motorbikes have churned up some soil but the suburb that that I live in has systematically been flattened, destroying every last living creature so that they can have yet another mall or row of factories.

The debate will simply rage on but development will always win.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2019, 11:17:36 am »
It just feels wrong to ride up and down a virgin hill like this with vegetation just for kicks.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2019, 11:24:12 am »
Hi guys, please educate me a bit on this tracks in the desert thing...  am I reading it right that tracks left on the Desert are offensive / wrong because of the AESTHETIC “impact” and not because of any “legitimate” environmental impact like some endangered daisy or dung beetle which happens to populate such spaces 1 per 1000 square km?
Have we become so ignorant as to believe that the earth needs to be preserved as is for future generations, that we really have control over it?  Mankind has in total only been in existence on earth for a minute tiny infinitesimal fraction of the billions and billions of years of earths  existence.  Had we been around for any significant period of time we would have seen with dismay the same area turn from rainforest to desert, from mountains to seabeds and so on for eons into the distant past, in time frames we cannot begin to comprehend, and so it will be into the future, long after mankind has ceased to exist. 
So please educate me because I’m struggling to understand how a few tracks left in the desert will collapse an entire ecosystem and cause the world to disintegrate.

The environment is an emotional thing and our opinions and reactions are probably learned actions.  But I also sometimes wonder if we are ignoring the bigger picture.

What if a virgin dune like above is just flattened by vehicles.  What is the real impact of that on a bigger scale?

Online Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:06 am »

The environment is an emotional thing and our opinions and reactions are probably learned actions.  But I also sometimes wonder if we are ignoring the bigger picture.

What if a virgin dune like above is just flattened by vehicles.  What is the real impact of that on a bigger scale?

Daar bly soos goggas en shit daar.

Wat as iemand net jou huis kom plat ry (en die aarde demolish) om 'n galactic highway te kom bou  :biggrin:
the Truth will offend at first

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:09 am »

Daar bly soos goggas en shit daar.

Wat as iemand net jou huis kom plat ry (en die aarde demolish) om 'n galactic highway te kom bou  :biggrin:

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Daar was ook plante en goggas en shit waar ek my huis gebou het, en hoeveel nuwe ontwikkelings gaan op orals.  Dieselfde met nuwe paaie en ander infrastruktuur.

Wat van die natuur homself. Een dag is daar nog 'n strand en die volgende dag is dit weg agv 'n storm.  Maar ons mag nie op die strand spore los nie agv die diertjies.

Ok Ek se nie ons kan maar alles opneuk nie. Dis goed dat mense in toom gehou word met al die reels en dinge. Maar ek wonder maar ook wat ons rerig bereik? 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:48:03 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2019, 12:13:20 pm »
It seems the controversial areas are
11:36 - 11:50 on Day 7 Marble to Puros camps
16:09 - 17:31 on Day 8 Puros to Puros

Maybe the guys involved can let us know where these areas really are. Day 8 it is possible high spirits got the better of common sense. Knowing this could ensure it does not happen again. On the other hand it may be you are allowed to ride there. It also seems that finding the correct track is not always totallly clear.

If Hardy was not on a bike I doubt he could be everywhere all the time. Possibly this means he can't give his bike up. This would definitely mean the loss for some future rider. It seems on the distances travelled through the conditions there bikes break down and Hardy and his gang do their best to keep the riders on a bike as far as possible.

It certainly seemed like an awesome trip.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Online Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2019, 12:18:56 pm »
En wat van Robert Frost se gedig "The road not taken" ?

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Ek dag dis die doel van exploring.   :deal:

Dankie vir niks Robert!!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:34:21 pm by Grunder »
the Truth will offend at first