Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MiWay woes...  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
Re: MiWay woes...
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 03:11:02 pm »
I also will not touch MiWay - there's a reason they're cheap, BUT, I don't find their stance on the situations described by JR as wrong either.

:deal:

I insured the KTM through MiWay because Santam underwrites them, and they are very affordable.
I am yet to claim from them, but on two occasions interactions were less than smooth.

The first time they terminated cover for theft because a tracker was not installed on time. They could not furnish me with enough info on supplier pricing to make an informed decision.

A few weeks ago I bought a bike trailer in Sasolburg and contracted bike movers to tow it to Cape Town. Anything on the road should be insured - who bears the cost should the trailer cause damage to another vehicle?
Miway was willing to insure, BUT the trailer had to presented to a verification center within 48 hours. "I will do so as soon as the trailer is here, but I will only have it in a week. Can you grant an extension until it is in my possession? It is my property, so I need to take the responsibility". "No" was the blunt answer from the operator and her supervisor.

So I had to search for another insurer. My car insurer gladly insured the trailer with immediate effect.

MiWay has lost my business, and the fact that I am writing here is not helping them to find new business.
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 11:54:31 am »
This morning I get a call from Mandla to hear if a Tracker has been installed on my bike, as theft and hijack cover has been suspended since 16 July -the same day as the tracker was installed.
So, without my knowledge, the bike was not insured as required, but they were still willing to take my money.
The installer would have notified MiWay of the installation on the 16 July - something went wrong there, but Miway was willing to cancel cover without informing me of doing so. Now they want proof from me that the tracker has been installed.
Now that is confidence-inspiring!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline columbus

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 12:41:39 pm »
I had absolutely fantastic service from King Price. They even repaid my excess of R4500 which they recovered from the guy who smashed into my car.
Allways carry a map its not good to get lost and have to eat your friends

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:11 pm »
Speak to the folks at Dearham, @RobD and his team really go the extra mile.  Ive been with them for a couple of years now and dont feel the need to shop around as money clearly cant buy decent service these days.

Support a fellow Dog and be rewarded :deal:
Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .

The following users thanked this post: RobD

Offline Skimnerf

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 09:07:11 am »
Dearham dont care. Stay away. Currently have a claim and my bike is being fixed with scrapyard parts

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 09:16:01 am »
 :peepwall: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline TheBear

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 09:36:47 am »
I had absolutely fantastic service from King Price. They even repaid my excess of R4500 which they recovered from the guy who smashed into my car.

This is standard practice and to be expected.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 10:48:42 am »
I am with MiWay and very happy so far.
Have claimed on the bike and no issues, actually made nice profit out of their policy to rather pay me and not panelbeaters, with the risk of further damage falling to me. (wilddogs secondhand parts whoohoo!)

Have had the same on a car door as well where their panelbeater quoted high and mine low, I said my car is not going to non BMW approved panelbeater in far away town. Paid me their quote and I fixed at half price at closer-to-home panelbeater.

Had a big claim on car, undriveable. no big issues. Also had claim on house content without to much issues, except that I had to have alarm fitted after.

Have bought a vehicle and gotten extension to only have inspected later.
A bike couldn't get inspected in my local small town at one time and they insured it without any inspection.

Santam insured all my bikes (OK, they're only cheap Suzuki DR650s) for book value, without inspection. Don't think I've ever had to take a car for inspection either.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 07:50:28 am »
There is a reason the low cost direct insurers can do what they do, you pay your policy so that you get paid out in the event of a problem, a good broker protects that right, the low cost direct insurers incentivize there employees to not pay out wherever possible. :sip:

Agree!   Cheap is not always cheap in the real environment - everything has a price; including service!

Insurers measure "risk" and ascribe a cost to it.  They're prepared to cover you without a tracker for a certain  number of days and carry an additional cost if that period is exceeded.

Guiding you an which tracking devices are approved or not is a necessity but I don't think it's their responsibility to provide you with those vendors pricing structures.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:54:19 am by Brewed_Coffee »
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 08:23:04 am »
Im with Santam and to date they have never asked me to put a tracker on any of my vehicles including my bikes, they are all insured full comprehensive and noted on the policy that they don`t have tracker systems  , but then I live up the west coast , so crime is not a problem yet. :)
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline King Louis

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 01:27:22 pm »
I don't like insurance at all as a matter of principle. Had many claims over the years, all I noticed is that the insurance companies never ever struggle to take your premiums etc., but when it comes to claiming, the picture changes quickly. All I noticed is, that a broker does make the difference at the end of the day. I do not often promote vendors, but from my own experience, just do yourselves a favour, give Operator a call and you will be in very good hands, professional and service oriented like none other. Don't go shopping for cheap premiums, shop for a good Operator!

The following users thanked this post: Operator, Wild Woody

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 11:33:16 am »
I don't like insurance at all as a matter of principle. Had many claims over the years, all I noticed is that the insurance companies never ever struggle to take your premiums etc., but when it comes to claiming, the picture changes quickly. All I noticed is, that a broker does make the difference at the end of the day. I do not often promote vendors, but from my own experience, just do yourselves a favour, give Operator a call and you will be in very good hands, professional and service oriented like none other. Don't go shopping for cheap premiums, shop for a good Operator!

I can second this. At the end of the day your insurance is only as good as your broker.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 09:26:30 am »
Im with Santam and to date they have never asked me to put a tracker on any of my vehicles including my bikes, they are all insured full comprehensive and noted on the policy that they don`t have tracker systems  , but then I live up the west coast , so crime is not a problem yet. :)

Yet. Looks like two cars stolen in Velddrif/Laaiplek over the last week or so. Crime is crawling up the coast. >:(

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 10:52:00 am »

I'm with them as well, through a broker. And, like you, I don't have to fit anything on any vehicle and don't name dirvers. No restrictions.

And this is for my bike, personal cars as well as business vehicles.

And the claims I've had have been sorted out in less than a week, without me filling in any paperwork.

One phone call to the broker and all is sorted ........................ just like that!

wouldn't trade a broker or Sanlam for anything. Worth their weight in gold when you need them.

And I live in the crime capital of the world, apparently ...............  ::)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 12:37:34 pm »
Good feedback Cracker! Thanks. Good to know that through MiWay one is actually insured☺
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 01:19:39 pm »
Not that good ................... I was adding to Grumpleton's quote. We're both with Santam, not Miway.

Me know nothing about Miway except that they shafted you .....................   :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!