BIKE THEFT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
nce again swa a Fb post re a warning of BM & KTM adventure bikes being stolen , warning states that one must make sure your bike is locked , and a chain as well as a disk lock is advised . My bike is locked in the garage , thinking of adding the disk lock as added security , key to the bike is on my person during the day and spare is locked in the safe . When I do go away on holiday I lock my bikes together with a cable lock just to make it dificult to move . Iam going to get some chain to lock the bikes to my Jeep as well . believe that if its difficult to gran it could just be left alone .
All these precautions are good , BUT it does make me wonder why all of a sudden the interest in adventure bikes , or bike in general . I am aware that off-road bike are easy to hide , road bikes not so much , Is their any chance that it could also be due to the financial situation in the country , guys getting over their heads , and a theft claim is a easy option out of the debt ?
I have to ask as with all the chip security these days, not having the key makes it problematic to resolve . I have also heard of talk that their are syndicates involved and the bikes are taken across the border to be shipped over seas for use as parts.
Now  if this be true , and people have the facts why cant the police be informed and the criminals brought to book . I have had one bike stolen , way back in the early 80s and it was not a nice feeling , As I cant recall , it could have been my fault as their is a faint possibly that I did not lock the bike , it was parked on the pavement in front of my girlfriends house , came out after the visit and bike was gone , had to walk home . never saw it again ,but was my one and only theft /loss
I now make sure bike is locked at all times , and if unsure , I fit a disk lock as well.
On a resent trip we were in Dullstroom , was informed to make sure bikes are locked up well and if possible park in the chalet , we ended up parking the bikes in the room , no problems .