Tool for Removing and Installing Bearings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mzee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Yesterday, for the first time I removed and installed new steering steering bearings on my XT1200Z. I was surprised when a friend told me that he has never changed his steering bearings with over 100 000kms.  So, why it that I had changed about 6 sets? I decided to investigate. 

Removing and installing new bearings is generally a straight forward matter, if you have the manual, tools and a bit of courage (I am talking about amateurs).  Except that in the manual they don't say that it is a mission to remove and install the lower bearings. 

To remove, they say use a chisel and a hammer.  That is easier said than done. I chiseled and hammered, I tried heat, and eventually had to use a grinder to cut, chisel and hammer to remove the bearing. 

Similarly, installing the lower bearings was not easy.  It took me more than one hour of patiently hammering the bearing until it slid home.  I don't think this is how it is done.  That is why I am asking those in the know whether there are tools for just this kind of work. :sip:

I am not an engineer or a mechanic, but I am sufficiently intelligent to follow instructions and figure out things. :pot: