Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dwerg down  (Read 33676 times)

Offline Dwerg

Re: Dwerg down
« Reply #620 on: November 22, 2019, 04:53:46 pm »
Good on you Dwerg, and nothing wrong with a steekie or six  :P

Was wondering, I'm sure you already have thought about this too.... what's your next bike?

Still in two minds. I donít know if Iíll commute again. I still have the 690 and itís the bike Iíve owned and loved longer than any other by far. Next bike might just be a dirt bike again
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #621 on: November 22, 2019, 06:51:36 pm »
Bly om te hoor jy is aan die gang Dwerg.  Daai arm lyk dik, jy gewig opgetel?  (Honest question)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #622 on: November 22, 2019, 07:12:40 pm »
Hey Dwerg goed om te sien jy kom reg, maar ek glo die tyd het nie so gou vir jou verbygegaan nie - toe ek vanmiddag gaan ry, het ek dit ingedagte gehou - Is goed as die dinge geshare word

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #623 on: November 22, 2019, 07:30:21 pm »
Bly om te hoor jy is aan die gang Dwerg.  Daai arm lyk dik, jy gewig opgetel?  (Honest question)

Nee inteendeel, eks Ďn broek grote af van die ongeluk af. Die arm is dik geswel van die physio sessie
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #624 on: November 22, 2019, 07:50:37 pm »

Nee inteendeel, eks Ďn broek grote af van die ongeluk af. Die arm is dik geswel van die physio sessie

Byt vas maat, alle goeie dinge kom met tyd.  En gee vir ons meer gereelde updates asb, jou ongeluk het baie van ons wakker geskud.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

The following users thanked this post: Dwerg

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #625 on: November 25, 2019, 12:30:34 pm »

Byt vas maat, alle goeie dinge kom met tyd.  En gee vir ons meer gereelde updates asb, jou ongeluk het baie van ons wakker geskud.

True that - glad recovery is going well!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #626 on: November 25, 2019, 08:32:02 pm »
Jy is por die ergste Jaco, baie sterkte vir die laaste deel van die herstel.
Mens is nooit weer wat jy was nie, net beter  :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #627 on: November 25, 2019, 09:15:07 pm »

Was wondering, I'm sure you already have thought about this too.... what's your next bike?

Still in two minds. I donít know if Iíll commute again. I still have the 690 and itís the bike Iíve owned and loved longer than any other by far. Next bike might just be a dirt bike again

Time wise, how far are you from riding again?

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #628 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:48 pm »

Easy off road, couple of months I hope. If I had a lower road bike, Iíd be able to do a quick ride on sundays. It would hurt but it will be worth it. Back riding tech stuff/whoops/jumps will take a few months if not the best part of a year. Om ontslae te raak van die na ongeluk horries, wie weet hoe lank dit gaan vat

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #629 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:33 am »
i am still very cautious/scared after my off.
i hope i stay like this forever.
falling/getting klapped by a car hurts like almighty fuck.
if caution/fear keeps pain and broken bones away,  please sir,  may i have some more!

do the physio.
go out to the garage and smoke a joint while perving at the 690.
then do some more physio.
 :thumleft:

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #630 on: November 26, 2019, 06:40:28 am »
with regards to the weak leg and glute.
exercises with zero weight,  just a broomstick.
at first your good leg will take a lot of the weight,  but you are going to keep at it,  until your bad leg can carry you.
squats - sets of 10 to start,  and once you can do a few,  you increase the reps per set - no additional weight.
straight leg deadlifts for your hamstrings - same routine as squats
standing calf raises while barefoot - flat floor - same routine as squats - once strength is back do them on the door step so you get some 'negative' range.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #631 on: November 26, 2019, 06:48:00 am »
i am still very cautious/scared after my off.
i hope i stay like this forever.
falling/getting klapped by a car hurts like almighty fuck.
if caution/fear keeps pain and broken bones away,  please sir,  may i have some more!

do the physio.
go out to the garage and smoke a joint while perving at the 690.
then do some more physio.
 :thumleft:

Like almighty fuck indeed. I've broken a few bones before but an accident like this is on a whole new level. I never really rode fast in traffic but after this I look at guys lane splitting at speed/riding on the shoulders and think "You don't know..... Yet". I never quite realized just how fine the line is between getting a knock and a very serious/fatal accident.

with regards to the weak leg and glute.
exercises with zero weight,  just a broomstick.
at first your good leg will take a lot of the weight,  but you are going to keep at it,  until your bad leg can carry you.
squats - sets of 10 to start,  and once you can do a few,  you increase the reps per set - no additional weight.
straight leg deadlifts for your hamstrings - same routine as squats
standing calf raises while barefoot - flat floor - same routine as squats - once strength is back do them on the door step so you get some 'negative' range.

I am doing most of this to some degree. Also got a static bike yesterday to start getting the legs working properly again.

Between unpaid leave and medical bills, I'm broke as hell and medical stopped paying but I still won't skip a physio session.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:49:07 am by Dwerg »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #632 on: November 26, 2019, 08:15:12 am »
Physio is not so expensive - I found I spent less on physio than on the bikes, so it's a win-win.

I've been back on the 950 once since January. After 3 separate leg breaks, I seem to have had enough. Bones break far too easily and it fucks up quite a lot of your life. I've written off 2019. Might even be selling the 950 soon.

And you just went through the same thing recently with your slashed foot ..................... starts getting out of hand, doesn't it?

But, I've been out on the plastic a few times and still enjoy that.

So don't worry about the bike thing. You'll either ride again or you won't, it matters not which way. As long as it's your choice, you'll be happy with it.

An excersize that might help you, in addition to the broom  :biggrin:

Step up and down off a dining room chair, using no hands. Step up quick, like you're climbing, but step off very slowly, trying to place your foot on the floor, not just drop. Good for strength and balance. Do it with both legs.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #633 on: November 26, 2019, 08:44:00 am »
Physio is not so expensive - I found I spent less on physio than on the bikes, so it's a win-win.

Physio is in itself not hectically expensive but I am getting < 2/3rds pay for the next 3 months due to unpaid leave

Step up and down off a dining room chair, using no hands. Step up quick, like you're climbing, but step off very slowly, trying to place your foot on the floor, not just drop. Good for strength and balance. Do it with both legs.

My bad leg can't even lead onto a brick or step down for that matter. Plus I forget what you call exercise where you stay connected vs switch between connected and separated from the resistance (ie. cycling vs walking) but the latter messes up my bad knee and ligaments in both legs and feet so I am only supposed to do cycling and in a pool type exercise. Open comminuted fracture is about as bad as it gets and the tissue damage on my upper leg is much more restrictive than the fracture itself
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:45:05 am by Dwerg »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #634 on: November 26, 2019, 09:12:14 am »
Ah, ok, still doing the pool type thing .................. brings back memories. I remember the freedom of jumping around in a pool without those f'ing crutches. A simple pleasure, seems like yesterday. I'm only doing the dining room chair thing now, long after I finished physio.

Anyways, best of luck, Jaco, you'll get there. Always keep in mind that you're now getting stronger every day, while those healthy people around you are actually getting weaker .............  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

The following users thanked this post: Dwerg

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #635 on: November 26, 2019, 12:30:32 pm »

Easy off road, couple of months I hope. If I had a lower road bike, Iíd be able to do a quick ride on sundays. It would hurt but it will be worth it. Back riding tech stuff/whoops/jumps will take a few months if not the best part of a year. Om ontslae te raak van die na ongeluk horries, wie weet hoe lank dit gaan vat

For the first time in my life, after an accident, I am now struggling with those 'horries'. :eek7: