Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda CRF450L and The Tankwa Cross Country Rally  (Read 4830 times)

Tommy Transalp, stormjp, KarooKid and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Honda CRF450L and The Tankwa Cross Country Rally
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2019, 08:23:18 pm »
And then some final checks for the day before some much deserved beers
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Scrat

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:50 pm »
Then the big boss of MIRA popped in and she was just as excited as us. 4 kids and 3 bikes

Awesome PIc!! Yep Mira just loved seeing all those Red bikes... Just as excited as her Pappa!  >:D
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Online KarooKid

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2019, 08:29:57 pm »
Lookiing forward to seeing the towers etc

Did you put a moose on the rear or just the front. Are you not concerned about the moose getting too hot?

Are you doing any kind of roadbook training in prep for this? I think there is, well from my side, a demand for roadbook training , I have spoken to Clive about this for next year. To host a few roadbook training weekends.

Muzz we are running mousses front and rear. Not concerned about the heat at all. If they survived similar and tougher conditions they should be good.

Some here might even say that they won't even heat up with 24hp at the rear...... :pot:

We will be taking the bikes for a shakedown to teste the nav equipment. Call it training if you want. Unfortunately time is not on our side for this year but I am sure some training can be arranged for future events.

Tyres are loaded and ready to be changed tomorrow

Online KarooKid

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2019, 08:30:50 pm »
Sterkte met al die reelings en voorbereiding Charl.
Weet julle sal dit geniet en hou daai scooter aan die gang  :biggrin:

Thanks meneer. Nice bike in jou avatar  :ricky:

Online KarooKid

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:17 pm »
You will feel a noticeable difference with that sticker kit Charl, be warned!  Ever since I fitted that to the little 250 Rally it has transformed into a beast.   :lol8:

Following with interest.  Ek is bietjie ver, maar skree as ek kan help met iets.  :thumleft:

Thanks Kobus. Wens jy kon join. Dit sou die span baie meer street cred gegee het 🙂

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2019, 09:30:41 pm »
I found that the brake line at full compression can catch the top of the roadbook and then when the forks extend again, it can cause serious damage to either the line or the tower.

No, I not jealous at all!

And then some final checks for the day before some much deserved beers

I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2019, 07:50:16 am »
Larger tanks ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2019, 12:08:33 pm »

I think you may have put the fork stickers on the swing arm and the swingarm stickers on the forks, but its gonna go faster anyway

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fransw

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2019, 12:39:15 pm »

Did you put a moose on the rear or just the front. Are you not concerned about the moose getting too hot?

Are you doing any kind of roadbook training in prep for this? I think there is, well from my side, a demand for roadbook training , I have spoken to Clive about this for next year. To host a few roadbook training weekends.

Muzz we are running mousses front and rear. Not concerned about the heat at all. If they survived similar and tougher conditions they should be good.

Some here might even say that they won't even heat up with 24hp at the rear...... :pot:

We will be taking the bikes for a shakedown to teste the nav equipment. Call it training if you want. Unfortunately time is not on our side for this year but I am sure some training can be arranged for future events.

What mouses are you running KarateKid?

Online KarooKid

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2019, 01:05:44 pm »

What mouses are you running KarateKid?

Michelin Bib Mousses

The following users thanked this post: Fransw

Offline Twister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • CRF1000, KTM950SE, KTM500EXC
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2019, 01:14:49 pm »
Lekker Charl baie sterkte aan julle almal. Lucky bastard  :)

Offline Buff

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2019, 03:25:17 pm »
Sjoe, those Honda's are looking very smart indeed... and fasssssst  :thumleft: It a very good looking bike, I'm particularly fond of that dark headlight  :drif:
Wise to run mousse's in the Tankwa, there's plenty of Acacia thorn trees in those river beds waiting for tubed tyres.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2019, 03:33:22 pm »
Sjoe, those Honda's are looking very smart indeed... and fasssssst  :thumleft: It a very good looking bike, I'm particularly fond of that dark headlight  :drif:
Wise to run mousse's in the Tankwa, there's plenty of Acacia thorn trees in those river beds waiting for tubed tyres.

I was checking out those lekker 2 tone barkbusters.. looks very nice
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Minxy

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • ů‘‘Ú >^.^< ů‘‘Ú
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2019, 07:39:06 pm »
Gooooooo team Honda!

This is going to be good :) :) :)
*              ★∑.∑īĮ`∑.∑★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★∑.∑īĮ`∑.∑★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline gmac

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2019, 09:14:21 pm »
I havenít had a chance to read all posts but here is my question.

Since a 125 2T makes more power than the 450L (correct me if Iím wrong) and the 450 is heavier does this mean you are going to ride it as you would a 125 ?

As in hold it wide open all day and not back out of anything?

Iím asking what your plan is for real and not being funny

Offline gmac

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2019, 10:43:12 pm »
My point is riding a low horse power bike in any event means a complete change of riding style and carrying corner speed - have you prepped for that?

No use proving the Honda by coming last hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rossb

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:31 pm »
My point is riding a low horse power bike in any event means a complete change of riding style and carrying corner speed - have you prepped for that?

No use proving the Honda by coming last hahahaha

Torque

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline gmac

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2019, 10:59:46 pm »
Okay - sounds good - could you explain a bit more

Online KarooKid

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2019, 07:44:45 am »
I havenít had a chance to read all posts but here is my question.

Since a 125 2T makes more power than the 450L (correct me if Iím wrong) and the 450 is heavier does this mean you are going to ride it as you would a 125 ?

As in hold it wide open all day and not back out of anything?

Iím asking what your plan is for real and not being funny

I am not sure whether I am going to answer your question, but let me try.

One of our local riders who managed to finish the Dakar once told me that he prefers to ride a bike that he can ride to the limit rather than having to manage the bike and have the bike ride him all day. Hence he traded his Husky 450 race bike for a 250 (for endure, not rally).

The Tankwa being a rally, and the terrain being mostly rocky and technical would mean that there will be a lot more than speed and HP at play. This is where torque comes into play as well.
Admittedly we still need to discuss strategy, but as I have said in a previous post consistency and being smooth will be much more important than HP or riding on the throttle.

First prize for us would be to have all three bikes finish and finish well. To do this we need to manage the bikes and ourselves over the three days. Bear in mind we are not top racers and definitely will not be chasing down Kenny Gilbert on our bikes. But with proper navigation and consistency we might just do better than you expect.

Any endurance event is unpredictable. There is so much unforeseen things that could happen. Riders can get sick or lost. Mechanical issues (probably not with the Honda's) which could change the standings. Navigational errors. The list is endless. That is what makes the Dakar and any other Rally event so exciting. How many times have Geniel de Villiers led the Dakar only to loose everything due to a mistake or bad luck.

The 450 is far from a 125. I think you should get on one and take it for a test ride. You might just be pleasantly surprised  :ricky:

Offline Buff

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2019, 07:58:55 am »
Spot on @KarooKid, some of those riverbeds are tight 2nd and 3rd gear stuff for long sections, interspersed with river rock sections where you won't get a chance to hook 4th gear. Torque will help here. If that bike can run 120km/h then you'll be just fine, only Riding Gods can keep it wide open in the rough stuff.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!