A ride like no other

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
Today Operator, Eisbein,Ondier and I set of on a GREAT ride we knew where we would start and wanted to end, the rest of the way we were scouting routes.
We were heading for Sir louwry's pas, Operator had seen a road that turns of at the start leading into the mountain, so we were heading in that direction.

I met Operator at his home around 7ish
DSCF4904Large.jpg

We chatted a bit while waiting for Eisbein, there was a concern about the wind on the pass as you could see a bank of clouds coming over the mountain.

Eisbein arrived and we had a fuel stop just outside kuilsrivier
DSCF4905Large.jpg

We headed towards somerset west meeting Ondier there on route, the wind was howling I saw a billboard that had been blown over. We stopped when we met ondier and talked about going up there in this kind of wind, everyone was keen and we set off.

The wind hit us right from the front going up and my little 125+sir lowrys pass+gale force winds= Fun but difficult riding :D

We found the turn off and headed in the wind now blowing over us in the forest, lots of little roads all over the place so the scouting began for one that will lead to the railway line.

These roads are awesome its like a hardened sand gravel mix, a tree temporarily obstructed the route  but it was no match for Eisbein ;D
DSCF4906Large.jpg

He picked it up and we road underneath it
DSCF4907Large.jpg

We all got by it and headed on only to come to a dead end, have to turn around again and look for another route
DSCF4908Large.jpg

We scouted all the trails some of us have some hair raising moments trying to turn around on the steep uphills ::)

I was the only one with a GPS so through some navigating we eventually found the road we were looking for,there was another log in the way...
Eisbein to the rescue he jumped on the log once it snapped and we went through
DSCF4909Large.jpg

Trail riding is easy stuff when you riding with the right people :thumleft:

Stopping for a break, I think this is the right way... ??? Lets continue and see where it leads
DSCF4911Large.jpg

Ahh finally we found the railway, Operators route was back on track ;D (no pun intended)
It was a nice little blast along the railway service line Eisbein leading and Operator sweeping... and then in happened...

The road ended where to now?
DSCF4912Large.jpg

Well it doesnt look like this railway gets used anymore... A bit of uncertainty well lets ride on it then!
The great thing about these bikes the weight so little you can just pick it up onto the railway, I however opted to stay on the small track next to it ;)
DSCF4913Large.jpg

Here they are getting on the railway
DSCF4914Large.jpg

DSCF4917Large.jpg

Now this is adventure riding get to an obstacle regroup make a plan and go on...

The line
DSCF4916Large.jpg

It was a veeeeerrrrrryyyyy bumpy road, you can imagine riding on a railway?
DSCF4915Large.jpg

The view from up there was spectacular,we were right above Sir Louwry's
Ondier's ttr
DSCF4918Large.jpg

Eisbeins ttr
DSCF4919Large.jpg

DSCF4920Large.jpg

The road became more and more narrow and soon there was almost no margin for error, it must have been one of my most focused moments ever we went through a  small tunnel under the N2 and then came one of the highlights of the day.
Another tunnel running under the N2 not a modern cement one, this one was blasted out of the mountains looked like a cave inside its about 400m pitch black you can see only your headlight if a train came at that moment...
It was just awesome riding through there :thumleft: :ricky: :thumleft: :ricky:

We stopped when the ground finally became flat again, and the guys got out of the railway
DSCF4921Large.jpg

Here is Operator, man that bike has allot of power for a 250!
DSCF4924Large.jpg

DSCF4926Large.jpg

DSCF4927Large.jpg

We were now over the pass and close to the steenbras dam WoW hows that for alternative route!

Hmm... where to now?
Well lets go up the mountain there should be an ox wagon route Operator told us.
And so we went for it, this road led through a pine forest, the smell of pine needles fills the air and the trees block out most of the sun. We kept climbing up the mountain then we found the ox route.
We stopped for a break,it was really hot and we all needed it.
DSCF4928Large.jpg

Operators Zook Nice headlight protector :thumleft:
DSCF4929Large.jpg

Well dont think we can go up here with the bikes better turn around.
DSCF4931Large.jpg

There were signs saying 4X4 route and we followed them, what great roads it was lots off washed away places in the road.
DSCF4932Large.jpg

DSCF4933Large.jpg

Took another turnoff we were now heading towards the Grabouw region.
On top off the mountains the gps said its about 700m above sea level,
DSCF4934Large.jpg

DSCF4935Large.jpg

Operator pointing us in the right direction, down we go
DSCF4935Large.jpg

Nice big collection of water down there
DSCF4936Large.jpg

Respect to ondier for doing this without a rear brake! He was the only one on the day to have a fall, only a minor off.
DSCF4937Large.jpg

Here he is coming down a very steep incline, great stuff
DSCF4938Large.jpg

We took the road out off the forest, the guard at the gate was not very happy with us, but Operator said some kind words and he let us out.
DSCF4939Large.jpg

Took a bit of tar to Orchard a farm stall restaurant,where we had a nice relaxing lunch and milkshake ;D
Are we allowed in?
DSCF4940Large.jpg

We took a chance :D

The road back we said goodbye to Ondier and headed towards stellenbosch by tar, Eisbein showed us the home he grew up in as well as a little sand track.
The last bit home was gravel through joostenberg vlakte we said our goodbyes and headed home.

I'm sitting here typing but my body aches(those railways!)

Operator Eisbein Ondier
Thanks for a great days riding, I will ride with you guys anytime cant think of a better way to spend a Saterday! :thumleft: