Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2020  (Read 38817 times)

Offline JK

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
Re: Dakar 2020
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2019, 08:36:02 pm »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2019, 10:12:37 pm »
The fact that Hero got top 10 (did they?) just shows me how piss poor Dakar has become under manufacturers. Besides KTM who releases actual Rally replica bikes ? No one. When Honda fielded a factory team they also entered on a modified CRF450X that was about 10 years old by then. Yamaha is not even factory and flip flops between a modified YZ and WR depending what they feel like that year. And now they have to race around a sand bowl in Saudi Arabia. Sorry but will rather follow the Africa Eco Race

This relates to my question of why any manufacturer would enter on ten year old technology, and all the BMW fanboys can do is to attack a D/S bike from another manufacturer. :pot:

The reality is that Yamaha is also fielding 10 year old technology. Capiche.

So is KTM, nothing new in IC engines really, but it is the total package that needs to step up.

Why claim it to be 10 year old tech if it is not?

You are right, 10 years ago the Yamaha was also called "WR" or "YZ" but you're wrong, they have moved on.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2019, 10:27:40 pm »
I thought I saw someone posting that Kenny Gilbert will be racing but I don't see his name on the official entry list?

Also, excuse my ignorance, I am completely out of touch, who is Aaron Mare? Tell me a little about him please? Is he racing Malle Moto, or open class?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2019, 06:57:54 am »
I thought I saw someone posting that Kenny Gilbert will be racing but I don't see his name on the official entry list?

Also, excuse my ignorance, I am completely out of touch, who is Aaron Mare? Tell me a little about him please? Is he racing Malle Moto, or open class?

Aaron Mare is an official Honda factory rider - ex-pat is my understanding, successful MX carreer and more recently rally focus and results.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Dutchie

Offline JK

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »

Hi Dutchie also never before heard of Aaron but sure hope he does well
https://rally.hondaracingcorporation.com/rider/aaron-mare/

The following users thanked this post: Dutchie

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2019, 02:50:55 pm »
I am super stoked for this years Dakar. I know many don't like the change in scenery but being 60% or more sand this time around and likely mostly off piste is much more in the spirit of the original race than the mix with a lot of roads thrown in over the last few years (they did great last year though). I think this year is going to be brutal.

Really hoping Honda can pull something off this time around, KTM has been having it too easy in my opinion, also the Honda bikes are better looking and deserve to win   :pot:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline JK

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2019, 04:50:52 pm »
I am super stoked for this years Dakar. I know many don't like the change in scenery but being 60% or more sand this time around and likely mostly off piste is much more in the spirit of the original race than the mix with a lot of roads thrown in over the last few years (they did great last year though). I think this year is going to be brutal.

Really hoping Honda can pull something off this time around, KTM has been having it too easy in my opinion, also the Honda bikes are better looking and deserve to win   :pot:

Eish soo many errors in this post . . .  :o 8)
* HONDA  and pulling something off in the same sentence . . .
* HONDA and better looking in the same sentence . . .
 :ricky: :pot:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2019, 05:23:21 pm »
Nice to see the old regulars back here again so early. :thumleft:

I agree Saudi is going to be interesting from a landscape POV, and hopefully the navigation will be more complicated.

The negatives are that it doesn't feel right that there wont be any long liaisons or border crossings.
I think it will be more like a longer Morocco rally.

I wonder if there will be any Israeli entrants....  :-\

Will women have to wear dookies?

So much of this does not feel right...
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2019, 05:23:56 pm »
Eish soo many errors in this post . . .  :o 8)
* HONDA  and pulling something off in the same sentence . . .
* HONDA and better looking in the same sentence . . .
 :ricky: :pot:

You're allowed to have your own opinion, so long as you accept that it's wrong  :deal:

Hell man, daai Honda's laat my mond water  :drif:

vs hierdie Oranje oogseer  :P

- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2019, 05:26:48 pm »
Nice to see the old regulars back here again so early. :thumleft:

I agree Saudi is going to be interesting from a landscape POV, and hopefully the navigation will be more complicated.

The negatives are that it doesn't feel right that there wont be any long liaisons or border crossings.
I think it will be more like a longer Morocco rally.

I wonder if there will be any Israeli entrants....  :-\

Will women have to wear dookies?

So much of this does not feel right...

I'm sure they're still going to add in long liaisons for the endurance factor, but yes that aspect will be different. Also no high altitude and extreme weather which I think was one of the great features of the race in South America.

As for the political side of things, ja that is a bit crap and I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that plays out. The one positive is that the Saudi's are motorsport mad and have tons of money so hopefully that bodes well for the sustainability of the race.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2019, 07:43:56 pm »
But what about Kenny, kerels?

I agree Saudi is going to be interesting from a landscape POV...

If this sentence had no context you may have been the first in history to have made that statement!  ;D

Hi Dutchie also never before heard of Aaron but sure hope he does well
https://rally.hondaracingcorporation.com/rider/aaron-mare/

Wow! When I started reading the brief bio they wrote for him I felt a little guilty when reading the MX stuff that it was running through my mind that maybe he's not that good and then came his desert racing credentials. Is it just me or are those specific results pretty damn impressive?

I would most certainly have supported the hell out of him just for being a Saffer but now I'm extra excited to see what he can do considering the amount of sand he'll be fed at this Dakar.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:53:57 pm by Dutchie »

Offline JK

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2019, 08:28:59 pm »
Kyk nou net Ma se kind . . . 8)
Sorry guys but the man won last year with only 1 hand and this year there are now 2 hands  8)

Offline JK

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2019, 08:48:39 pm »
Go TP go !

Offline JK

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2019, 08:51:11 pm »
Some Husqy photis

Offline gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2019, 09:17:39 pm »

Yoh but that termignoni pipe is ugly , really

I agree that the long liaisons and high altitude will be missed. I am looking forward to more navigation and off piste riding (even though I know nothing about how itís done )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JK

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2019, 09:25:34 pm »
Ok i will shamelessly start the 1st rumor. . . Princess Laya is NOT riding. . .  :patch:
Cannot find her on the current competitors list on Dakar.com. . .  !!! ??? :eek7:

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2019, 10:13:16 pm »
Ok i will shamelessly start the 1st rumor. . . Princess Laya is NOT riding. . .  :patch:
Cannot find her on the current competitors list on Dakar.com. . .  !!! ??? :eek7:

I see her name next to nr 14, however with no bio.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2019, 11:40:10 pm »

She's riding a GasGas this year.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2019, 06:18:50 am »

Is it not a KTM in Gas Gas clothing - wolverine dressed up a lamb?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Online sidetrack

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:18 am »

Is it not a KTM in Gas Gas clothing - wolverine dressed up a lamb?
Honda - KTM - Gas Gas ... let's hope 2021 she won't be on a Hero  :peepwall:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north