Interesting Electrical Fault

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamilton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have an 08 GS and have had nothing but fun on this bike. Never let me down. I have had a few small things like a lazy starter that has been sorted, tyre pressure monitors that have failed but never what I had this past weekend on a trip to Clarence. On the day of leaving, bike started no problem but when I wanted to pull off and turn at the same time, the bike cut out totally. Screen blank. on straightening the bars, electrics came on and bike fired up. To start with, this only happened when turning left. Anyway, knowing what the trouble was, I headed back to KZN. Touch wood the bike ran with no problem all the way back as turning is not really needed once going. Back home the fault was again there as I had to turn the bars at slow speed to get around the yard. The fault was now in both directions. I must admit on the return run, I had my fingers very close to the clutch lever all the time as I didn't want the bike to cut out at 150 and the engine lock up.
Started to fault find and found the harness that goes from the bottom of the ignition switch back towards and under the tank, being the problem. I can start the bike and with a longish screwdriver, just wiggle the harness near the tank and the bike cuts out. Tried this a few times to pinpoint the fault and it is in that section of the harness.
Now to strip the bike and get to the little shit. I will take photos as I go along and post as I have yet to remove a tank on a 1200. Should be interesting. :happy1: