Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Interesting Electrical Fault  (Read 383 times)

Offline Hamilton

Interesting Electrical Fault
« on: September 04, 2019, 07:58:11 am »
I have an 08 GS and have had nothing but fun on this bike. Never let me down. I have had a few small things like a lazy starter that has been sorted, tyre pressure monitors that have failed but never what I had this past weekend on a trip to Clarence. On the day of leaving, bike started no problem but when I wanted to pull off and turn at the same time, the bike cut out totally. Screen blank. on straightening the bars, electrics came on and bike fired up. To start with, this only happened when turning left. Anyway, knowing what the trouble was, I headed back to KZN. Touch wood the bike ran with no problem all the way back as turning is not really needed once going. Back home the fault was again there as I had to turn the bars at slow speed to get around the yard. The fault was now in both directions. I must admit on the return run, I had my fingers very close to the clutch lever all the time as I didn't want the bike to cut out at 150 and the engine lock up.
Started to fault find and found the harness that goes from the bottom of the ignition switch back towards and under the tank, being the problem. I can start the bike and with a longish screwdriver, just wiggle the harness near the tank and the bike cuts out. Tried this a few times to pinpoint the fault and it is in that section of the harness.
Now to strip the bike and get to the little shit. I will take photos as I go along and post as I have yet to remove a tank on a 1200. Should be interesting. :happy1: 

Offline Winston

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Empangeni
Re: Interesting Electrical Fault
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:10:09 am »
Ask a KLR guy to help you, they are used to fix that kind of problem on the 08 KLR.

Offline stcomza

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:19:21 am »
Eish, hope you get sorted.

Sounds like a connection problem. possibly earth related ?
Have you hugged your motorcycle today?
Twitter : @steynw76

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:26:07 am »
R1150's had the same issue, mainly caused by too many tight cable ties.  :biggrin:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

The following users thanked this post: Hamilton

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:28:10 am »
 :sip:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline GeoffB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 08:44:39 am »
I have had a few small things like a lazy starter that has been sorted, 

How did you manage to sort out the lazy starter.  I have had a 2008 GS since new and my attempts to sort it have all failed.

I would appreciate your advice.  Thanks.

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 09:42:12 am »
A colleague had exactly the same problem. It was found to be a broken wire in the harness leading from the key cluster. When turning the bike in a specific direction, the broken wire opened up and vice versa.

He cut open the tape around the wires, and just fixed the broken wire. 

Offline Winston

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Empangeni
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 10:02:50 am »
If you can't find the short, look for it when it is dark (as in night time) switch on ignition, wiggle steering and see where the little spark jumps.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
following, mine had the same, turned out to be a wire that enters the bottom of the ignition micro switch..

at 150 i dont think the wheel will lock, mine just ran on the compression until stopping.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 11:31:06 am »

Before you dig in too deep - make sure it isn't the microswitch at the bottom of the ignition barrel.

You can test it quickly by taking out the plug that goes to the bottom of the ignition and then bridging it with a paperclip (the key must still be in the ignition though so that the immobilizer pickup can still see the chip in the key).
If you can then reproduce the same problem with the screwdriver wiggling thing you know it definitely is in the loom and not the microswitch.

I had the issue on my 1200 (2006) and it started as close to the same thing - (only mine was sometimes dead when I switch the ignition on)

On wiggling the loom contact was restored and there I went
I had the engine and lights cut out on the way home 15km from Mosselbay at night - not fun at 130km/h and 0 other lightsources around.

Btw - your engine will never lock up at highway speed - it will just feel like the throttle being closed.
The big deal with engine cutting out is just after you pulled away into an immediate turn. THEN it locks up spectacularly.

Edit - I only saw this after replying.
Basically Knucklhead saying what I did, but with a lot less words
 :biggrin: :biggrin:

following, mine had the same, turned out to be a wire that enters the bottom of the ignition micro switch..

at 150 i dont think the wheel will lock, mine just ran on the compression until stopping.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:42:12 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:31 pm »

How did you manage to sort out the lazy starter.  I have had a 2008 GS since new and my attempts to sort it have all failed.

Thanks for the above advice guys. Will check the micro switch first.
Geoff, I ran a separate 10mm2 welding cable from my neutral terminal on the battery directly to one of the starter motor fixing bolts. Cabletied it to the frame so you don't even see the cable. This is to give the best earthing in case there was a bad earth somewhere else. Bad earthing on any auto system is one of the most common problems. While doing that I also stripped the starter and gave it a good clean out and relube where needed. Cleaned the commutator with fine waterpaper and cleaned out the segments between the copper strips of the commutator. Been good since. Hope this helps.

Offline GeoffB

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 02:37:13 pm »

Thanks for the above advice guys. Will check the micro switch first.
Geoff, I ran a separate 10mm2 welding cable from my neutral terminal on the battery directly to one of the starter motor fixing bolts. Cabletied it to the frame so you don't even see the cable. This is to give the best earthing in case there was a bad earth somewhere else. Bad earthing on any auto system is one of the most common problems. While doing that I also stripped the starter and gave it a good clean out and relube where needed. Cleaned the commutator with fine waterpaper and cleaned out the segments between the copper strips of the commutator. Been good since. Hope this helps.
Thanks a million Hamilton.  I will give it a go.

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »
Okay, so started to strip plastics. Done this many times so not a problem.

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 02:59:25 pm »
Do the paper clip test. Very good advice this and simple to do. A must when fault finding. Power still on with clip in place, then jiggle the harness and power goes off. :deal: So, now to find fault.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:00:04 pm by Hamilton »

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 03:05:22 pm »
Take tank off, was a bit worried on this one as I haven't gone this far before on a strip on the GS. Quite simple and took about 5 min at this point. Note to myself for next time, Don't have a full tank when doing this job...
Found where the harness is cable tied to the frame just below the yoke. From this point the wires swing left and right as you turn the bars. One can see that this is a soft spot for wires to break.

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »
Found the little shit.

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 03:11:35 pm »
So did the repair, heat shrink the whole spot and reassemble. All good and ready for this Saturdays Thumpers Spring Jol in Durban. All in all about 3 hours labour to strip and assemble however, now we all have read this, so expect less time on the job and more beer drinking while looking for something else to do while the bike is in pieces.
Hope this helps for the future. And again, thanks for the advice given above to me. :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: stcomza

Offline Hamilton

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 03:12:45 pm »
On the button, Welsh :thumleft:

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 01:07:01 am »
Lekker post and nice repair job.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline 73 Peanut

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 09:19:08 am »
Glad to hear you found the fault and repaired it.