Sprocket carrier/hub question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johanp

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F850GS
I've replaced my chain about 2 weeks ago and wasn't paying much attention to the hub, but when refitting the wheel I noticed a gap between the sprocket carrier and the hub.
I thought it was odd, but since everything seemed fine and it wasn't wobbling I assumed it was okay.

Now my buddy had a bearing failure yesterday which made me worry all over again, so I've asked a friend to look at his (see photo) and I've also found a photo of mine when I bought the bike - about the same as my friend's. The gap is definitely bigger now.

My first thought was that the cushions were not seated properly, so I've removed the wheel and test fitted the carrier without them - same gap.
The bearings do seem to be seated properly but then logically that's the only thing that could be causing this I reckon?

I'm going on a 4000km trip soon, am I overthinking this, or should I be worried?
I've got a spare set of bearings and seals, so I could replace them if needs be, but I'm also a firm believer of not fiddling with what's working before a big trip.

Attachments

• Now.jpg
    Now.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Then.jpg
    Then.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 89
  • friend.jpg
    friend.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 99