Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Long Way Up - Charley and Ewan goes electric  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
Re: Long Way Up - Charley and Ewan goes electric
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2020, 07:41:39 pm »
Also just finished the series.
I fail to understand the purpose of the bus.
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

The following users thanked this post: adamktm

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2020, 08:21:59 pm »

No, no, it's not a bus, it's an electric 'bike". O0

Offline BuRP

« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2020, 08:51:32 am »

A 'safehaven' for the generators as well as bikes during charging whilst the lot 'rides' through alleged 'dangerous' zones, whilst at the same time also providing beds for a few.
So what don't you understand?
In their sleep they can be hijacked by the, corrupt of course, local driver whilst carbondioxide from the gennies creeps in in lethal amounts so that they can bail in the last second, loosing the bikes plus all they have, leaving them stranded without an iota in competing druglord territory, obviously to spice up the series a bit.
Clearer now?  :lol8:

I don't get it either....
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2020, 10:45:36 am »
So... just finished the first episode.

They wanted to prove an electric bike could make the trip. But before they even set foot on a plane to head down South they already proved that it is impossible. If it wasn't for Rivian putting in a 150 charging spots from the start of their route to the finish they would never have made it. Or am I missing something?

Guess it helps to be a celebrity to have the infrastructure laid out before you embark but for the rest of the 7 billion people it simply won't work.

And although I haven't seen the rest I take it they did make it, just in time for Harley to can the electric bike altogether as they try to keep head above water for another year.

Let me start episode 2.

Offline noble steed

« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2020, 01:17:36 pm »

They took 3 days off building the bus so they could use it for one night to transport 2 bikes. While Claudio still had to ride outside.
And then after one night use they left it in Mexico.

I think purpose of the bus was just to spend some money and fill out an episode and a half.

The rest of the series had some beautiful scenery, I wouldn’t mind getting the opportunity to ride there one day. Drones have changed cinematography in a big way compared to previous trips!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2020, 03:51:35 pm »

They wanted to prove an electric bike could make the trip.

Let me start episode 2.

No, they wanted to see if they can.
And somebody have to do it sometime to see what kind of issues will pop up. In ep 2 you will see what issues did pop up, of the unexpected kind.

This negativity was abundant before anyone saw the series. Its nice to see the generally good feedback once people do watch it. These two guys really dont do this to prove anything to you and me, and if anyone wanted to make money out of myself and a buddy having a ball on bikes (even electric) and touring the world I would also grab the opportunity.

Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2020, 08:02:45 am »

Let me start episode 2.

And somebody have to do it sometime to see what kind of issues will pop up. In ep 2 you will see what issues did pop up, of the unexpected kind.

This negativity was abundant before anyone saw the series. Its nice to see the generally good feedback once people do watch it. These two guys really dont do this to prove anything to you and me, and if anyone wanted to make money out of myself and a buddy having a ball on bikes (even electric) and touring the world I would also grab the opportunity.

So, you just take a snippet from my comment? Explain to me how they or the bikes would have made it if there wasn't infrastructure laid out for them beforehand?

I am enjoying the show so far and actually very impressed with the Harley's. I guess electric is the future, if you like it or not.  The visuals of the show are stunning and would be a treat to ride there one day.

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2020, 09:42:59 am »

Let me start episode 2.

So, you just take a snippet from my comment? Explain to me how they or the bikes would have made it if there wasn't infrastructure laid out for them beforehand?

I am enjoying the show so far and actually very impressed with the Harley's. I guess electric is the future, if you like it or not.  The visuals of the show are stunning and would be a treat to ride there one day.
I saw a few interviews prior to the release of the show and it had less to do with wether it was possible. It was presented as an idea/dare given nobody else has done it and from there they worked with various partners to make it possible.

C&E did it for fun, the partners did it for publicity. We benefit because we get to travel along, appreciate the scenery and learn about the challenges.

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2020, 10:02:38 am »

Let me start episode 2.

I saw a few interviews prior to the release of the show and it had less to do with wether it was possible. It was presented as an idea/dare given nobody else has done it and from there they worked with various partners to make it possible.

C&E did it for fun, the partners did it for publicity. We benefit because we get to travel along, appreciate the scenery and learn about the challenges.

My argument still stands.

They wanted to see if they and electric bikes/cars could do the trip. And as things were, the answer was simply no.

But I do admire them tackling it with electric machines. I have only watched the first two episodes, will try to watch further later.

Evan did say something in Episode 2 that I scoffed at. He reckoned everybody will be driving electric cars in 10 years. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Offline Kelevra

« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2020, 10:09:04 am »

Let me start episode 2.

My argument still stands.

They wanted to see if they and electric bikes/cars could do the trip. And as things were, the answer was simply no.

But I do admire them tackling it with electric machines. I have only watched the first two episodes, will try to watch further later.

Evan did say something in Episode 2 that I scoffed at. He reckoned everybody will be driving electric cars in 10 years. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Wonder if SA will have electricity 10 years from now? 
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2020, 10:30:47 am »
Grrr
"My argument still stands.

They wanted to see if they and electric bikes/cars could do the trip. And as things were, the answer was simply no."

True. (You keep repeating this as if there was a set of rules they broke, there isnt)

Die opvolg op jou comment is:
so what? Elke nuwe tegnologie/vooruitgang moet iewers begin.

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2020, 10:41:59 am »

Fair question.

Also, how many countries in the world has "clean energy"? At the moment, zero.

So every treehugging hippy plugging in their electric cars to lessen their carbon footprint ain't really helping.

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2020, 10:44:30 am »
(You keep repeating this as if there was a set of rules they broke, there isnt)

They broke their own rules.

Maar ek gaan nie meer met jou stry nie. M'kay? Mooi.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2020, 10:49:37 am »
(You keep repeating this as if there was a set of rules they broke, there isnt)

They broke their own rules.
Die/'n elektriese Harley was aan die begin, en toe weer aan einde. Trip gedoen  :deal:

Maar ek gaan nie meer met jou stry nie. M'kay? Mooi.
Dankie

My ma se ook dit help nie

Offline Sprocketman

« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2020, 10:56:46 am »
Probably based on European standards - https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/heres-what-2030-petrol-and-diesel-car-ban-means

Offline BuRP

« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2020, 12:09:17 pm »

No, not a chance.
Under Nelson's reign, the socalled first democratic rule, Eskom, a state entity, was financially independant from the state (to such an extent that it was regarded as semi-state!) and produced amoung the cheapest power in the world, if not the cheapest.
This was frowned upon from above for various reasons, and acted upon & against by completely ignoring their new-built proposals (to allow for a seamless continuous supply in the future) for many years, many! - in other words normal planning was vetoed out, they had to make do with what they had.
The results anyone now knows - however, do realize that planning a power plant takes many years: 15 to 20 for a nuclear one, a coal fired plant less.
SA got the last WB-loan for a coal-fired plant from them (Madupi or Kosile, dunno anymore which one).... leaving the door closed for another keeping the current financial fiasco in mind.
This leaves nuclear and 'alternative' power (solar, wind, geothermal or others) AND private companies.
Thanks to Zuma's 9-year reign nuclear is wishful thinking at the moment, so we're left at the mercy of the private vultures to "help" SA with energy supply.
The latter will be kept at a bare-minimum ideally to extort the maximum price now & later, and especially the long-term nature of these contracts will mean that SA will rank amoung the countries with the highest electricity price in the world.
This also will effect that foreign investment like industrialization will not happen, meaning poor annual growth for the foreseeable decades.
Those who (will) stay here will be better off by installing thermal solar (hot water) as well as some PV-solar (electric panels) to reduce their dependency on Eskom, if not now then in the near future - and yes, these are both financially effective as well as reliable in the long term these days however do choose wisely.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:29:57 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Online Neo_za

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2020, 12:28:35 pm »
I just got the impression that, compared to the time spent in Peru, Argentinia and Bolivia they pretty much blasted through the countries further North, until slowing down again in Mexico.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2020, 12:32:42 pm »
I just got the impression that, compared to the time spent in Peru, Argentinia and Bolivia they pretty much blasted through the countries further North, until slowing down again in Mexico.

Me too, that bus the clearest sign of "we will get through this as fast as our generous budget allows!".
Wonder what this journey has cost and who actually paid for it, but we get to see some nice films indeed  :thumleft:

Online chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2020, 02:58:10 pm »
I also dont get the bus, so much trouble for 1 night, or was it more? the trip should be possible without the special charging stations, I think somewhere in episode 2 harley davidson gave them some sort of adaptor that could be used between any plug and the bike. The charging stations basically was to charge directly to the bike. I still think they are 2 great guys doesn't matter what bikes they ride. I just fell bad for Charlie everytime someone recognition Ewan as OB1.....Charlie is much more of an adventure rider, Ewan has the wallet....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline WildWood

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2020, 06:12:59 pm »
I got the feeling this was a vehicle to help Charlie out. I reckon his injuries have exhausted his cash and the team got together as a benefit . Just a hunch.

I was bored with long way down & around. To much snivelling and camera emotion but must say loved most of this series. The bikes were shite, the riding action boring but the scenery and cultural exchanges were out of this world. And Charlie & Ewan were way more 'real'. And wow there are a some places I have to get to before I shuffle off this earth.

And those Rivian trucks are awesome