XR650R Carb woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
So, had a lekker ride yesterday but towards the end the XR picked up an odd new quirk. When the tank got to about 1:4 full it variably started struggling from fuel starvation. So initially I though I'm out of fuel which wasn't the case, nursed the bike the 30km or so to Uitenhaag. Added 10l of petrol and rode home from there with zero issues. I pulled off the carb now for an interesting and complete first for me issue. One of the posts holding the float hinge/pin had broken off  :eek7: . So obviously after the post broke sometime during the ride I guess the float started changing level at will and I guess variably locking up and freeing itself, hence the not so fun stop start fuel issue.

Now on a previous occasion I've noticed the pin was sticking a bit and it took a lot of careful effort the get it out. All I can think is I must have dinged it by not being careful/gentle enough and cracked the post  :xxbah: at some point in the past.  :BangHead:

So, how to fix... seeing as it spends its time dowsed in petrol I'm guessing something like pratley steel is a bad idea. I reckon brazing it should do the trick? What thinks the dogs?